Solo forums > John Lennon

Where Were You?

<< < (46/47) > >>

KEROUAC:
As it's the 34th anniversary I thought I'd post something.

I remember coming home from school as a fifteen year old for lunch and hearing the news on the afternoon radio here in the UK. I remember my mum saying she thought it was probably carried out by gangsters.

I didn't know much about John Lennon or The Beatles at the time. I remember Beatles and Lennon music being constantly played on the radio and tv till well past Christmas it had a major impact on me. It was on the covers of most magazines in the newsagents. I felt the shock waves even though as i said I didn't really know much about John Lennon. That's how I became a massive fan ironically.

oldbrownshoe:
The strange thing is that, in the U.K. at least, the news and reaction was absolutely unavoidable in a way it wouldn't be now.

Every radio station had a news bulletin, daily newspapers sold in millions not thousands, and there were only three TV channels.

John's material got re-released and so his songs were everywhere, omnipresent in the chart (now no-one listens to it), in record shops (they no longer exist) and on 'Top Of the Pops' (now it too doesn't exist) for about six months afterwards.

Cue to 2014 and, if you wanted to avoid a celebrity's death, you could do so with ease.
I completely, after hearing about it at a bus-stop in Penzance, avoided all the Michael Jackson stuff.
It would have been impossible in 1980.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes:

--- Quote from: oldbrownshoe on December 09, 2014, 07:40:36 AM ---The strange thing is that, in the U.K. at least, the news and reaction was absolutely unavoidable in a way it wouldn't be now.

Every radio station had a news bulletin, daily newspapers sold in millions not thousands, and there were only three TV channels.

John's material got re-released and so his songs were everywhere, omnipresent in the chart (now no-one listens to it), in record shops (they no longer exist) and on 'Top Of the Pops' (now it too doesn't exist) for about six months afterwards.

Cue to 2014 and, if you wanted to avoid a celebrity's death, you could do so with ease.
I completely, after hearing about it at a bus-stop in Penzance, avoided all the Michael Jackson stuff.
It would have been impossible in 1980.

--- End quote ---
The grim-ful truth, oldbrownshoe.

Bobber:

--- Quote from: KEROUAC on December 08, 2014, 06:43:17 PM ---As it's the 34th anniversary I thought I'd post something.

I remember coming home from school as a fifteen year old for lunch and hearing the news on the afternoon radio here in the UK. I remember my mum saying she thought it was probably carried out by gangsters.

I didn't know much about John Lennon or The Beatles at the time. I remember Beatles and Lennon music being constantly played on the radio and tv till well past Christmas it had a major impact on me. It was on the covers of most magazines in the newsagents. I felt the shock waves even though as i said I didn't really know much about John Lennon. That's how I became a massive fan ironically.

--- End quote ---

That is exactly my story! Including the age! I remember how Starting Over -till that moment not doing very much in the charts- suddenly skyrocketed to #1, followed by Happy Xmas. It was a strange mixed emotion. I was just getting into The Beatles and their music was play a lot on the radio. I taped it all and I loved it. The reason why it was played however was pure horror.

KEROUAC:
Wow that's strange Bobber. Were you in the UK too? The irony was that I was an ELO fan and hadn't really taken notice of The Beatles (even though the previous Christmas they had a Beatles film season on UK TV). Just hearing those songs 24/7 though turned me into an obsessive fan and I started collecting press cuttings around that time. I put Beatles records on my Christmas list and remember getting Rock n Roll Music Vol 2 and Double Fantasy on Christmas Day. I also seem to remember the film "Birth of The Beatles" being on Boxing Day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version