Other forums > Current Affairs

What do you think about the iraq war

(1/6) > >>

somedude210:
justified or not, what do you think about the war, the new surge or any recent developments.

Kevin:
I guess technically it's not even a war. The armed forces of the sovereign state of Iraq gave it up years ago. This is really civilians attacking an occupying force. A bit like the French Resistance, without the sexy chicks and berets. Britain never accepted that Northern Ireland was a war (they did not want to elevate the "enemy" to a status above that of criminals) yet the situation is remarkably similar. But I guess we/you  have to call it one to give it a little credability.
And coming up with the word "surge" was a bit of genius. So much less embarrassing than "reinforce" with all its conontations of failure.
I find it hard to decide who's winning or loosing (or what winning or loosing actually means), but if you put a gun to my head, I'd say we're loosing. There is clear daylight between the US and UK now. The UK has definately lost its appetite (and ability) to continue the fight and is desperate for a way out. It is the hottest issue in the US with an election approaching.

BlueMeanie:
It's become a 'war' of attrition. Eventually the US will have to give up on a battle they can't win, and maybe accept that it's not in everyone's culture to accept democracy. You'd have thought Vietnam would have taught them something.

Kevin:
Yep. I think we need to remember that as British we have to say "us" and not "them".
But then we had Malaya (an "Emergency", not a "War") to prove that an insurgency could be beaten. And I guess that the US can say that in 1941 no one would have anticipated Germany and Japan becoming capatilist democracies and trusted allies under US occupation.
And to be honest I don't think imposition of democracy was ever a US aim in Vietnam. They would have been happy with a right wing military dictatorship if that meant the defeat of the communists.
I love a quote from an Isreali general when asked about the difficulties of defeating a civilian insurgency. "Isn't it like looking for a needle in a haystack?" he was asked.
"Easy" he said. "You just burn down the haystack."

harihead:
Our own senators (finally!!!) are starting to bring up the parallels between Iraq and Vietnam. This undeclared war (police action?) is a losing proposition for anyone who doesn't have oil interests. Someone tried to tell me that we were fighting a righteous action because Saddam gassed the Kurds. :o I can tell you, the average American thinks the Iraqis flew the planes into the Twin Towers and a Kurd is something you find in cottage cheese. It's the ill-informed being steered by the self-interested.

There's a new movie out in the regular theatres on this topic, called No End in Sight. My parents saw it yesterday and found it "compelling.  Especially moving was the young Marine who did good work in Iraq,  worked with local Iraqis,  and saw it all fall apart."

Summary:
The first film of its kind to chronicle the reasons behind Iraqs descent into guerilla war, warlord rule, criminality and anarchy, NO END IN SIGHT is a jaw-dropping, insiders tale of wholesale incompetence, recklessness and venality. Based on over 200 hours of footage, the film provides a candid retelling of the events following the fall of Baghdad in 2003 by high ranking officials such as former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage, Ambassador Barbara Bodine (in charge of Baghdad during the spring of 2003), Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Colin Powell, and General Jay Garner (in charge of occupation of Iraq through May 2003), as well as Iraqi civilians, American soldiers and prominent analysts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version