A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Author Topic: The Story of the Beatles' Last Song  (Read 19 times)

Moogmodule

• Getting Better
The Story of the Beatles' Last Song
« on: Today at 05:24:10 AM »

Just read the short book by James Woodall which uses the recording of  I Want You as the backdrop for a look at the Beatles break-up.

At only 90 pages in print (I picked it up for a couple of dollars on kindle) it's easily finished in one sitting. As the hook of the book is I Want You it's predictably pretty "John heavy". I must admit in all the Beatle books and biographies I tire a bit of all the descriptions of John and Yoko's antics in 68 and 69. You'd think the other three Beatles were under ice in between John's comings and goings.

There's not a lot new in it. But the writer suggests that I Want You is evidence that the Beatles, if they'd remained together, would have continued to push sonic boundaries. Including into electronic music. An interesting if unprovable idea.

One quote by Derek Taylor I don't think I've ever seen before is that he never hated anyone, in that period when Apple was consuming itself, more than he hated Paul. Referring to Paul's imperious but clueless micro management of Apple.

Anyway. A short read so no real burden on anyone's time. He does note that the fascinating financial machinations of the sale and purchase of Northern Songs probably needs to wait til Mark Lewisohn's final book to be told in full.
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 27 queries.