A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Books  (Read 35127 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
Re: Books
« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:41 AM »

I've decided in my retirement to read some classic novels

I've started with Crime & Punishment by  Dostoyevsky..

Crime and Punishment focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of Rodion Raskolnikov, an impoverished ex-student in Saint Petersburg who formulates and executes a plan to kill an unscrupulous pawnbroker for her cash.

Dmitry would be proud of me ha2ha

I downloaded a collection Kelley
The 100 best novels, a BBC collection
They're all in the public domain and all classics
I already read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist

Will you look at him, sitting there with his hooter scraping away at that book!  Have you no natural resources of your own?  Have they even robbed you of that?  You should be out parading.  That's it, parading the streets ... trailing your coat ... bowling along ... living!  When was the last time you gave a girl a pink-edged daisy?  When did you last embarrass a sheila with your cool appraising stare?  Do you think I haven't noticed ... do you think I wasn't aware of the drift?  Oh ... you poor unfortunate scruff, they've driven you into books by their cruel, unnatural treatment, exploiting your good nature.  And what's it all come to in the end?  A book!
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #381 on: January 30, 2017, 02:31:41 AM »

When was the last time you gave a girl a pink-edged daisy? 

Always wondered if this was a euphemism of some sort.

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »

Always wondered if this was a euphemism of some sort.
ha2ha

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2017, 06:12:42 AM »

I've decided in my retirement to read some classic novels

I've started with Crime & Punishment by  Dostoyevsky..

Crime and Punishment focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of Rodion Raskolnikov, an impoverished ex-student in Saint Petersburg who formulates and executes a plan to kill an unscrupulous pawnbroker for her cash.

Dmitry would be proud of me ha2ha

Wow! I'm very proud ))
Did you finish it yet, Kev?

I've read all Dostoyevsky's novels. But most of all I was impressed by `The Brothers Karamazov'. I still remember how my hair stood on end several times while reading.

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #384 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:26 PM »

This was a nice surprise: I just came across a new book on the Franklin expedition: Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition. I can't wait to start reading. There aren't too many books about this yet. The two lost ships were the Terror and the Erebus. I personally would NEVER get on a ship named The Terror, LOL.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #385 on: April 25, 2017, 11:19:25 PM »

Read a silly but amusing story Year Zero: A Novel.  Basic plot is that a huge universe federation of aliens falls in love with earths pop/rock music ( they call the year they discovered it Year Zero). Trouble is they realise after a few decades that they have been violating earth's restrictive copyright laws and now owe earth more than all the money that is, has been, or ever will be in royalty payments. To try to fix things, the aliens engage a young copyright lawyer who  they also think is a member of the Backstreet Boys.

Hardly deep and sometimes reads as a primer on copyright law. But a fun quick read if you like comedic sci fi.

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #386 on: May 07, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »

Read a silly but amusing story Year Zero: A Novel.  Basic plot is that a huge universe federation of aliens falls in love with earths pop/rock music ( they call the year they discovered it Year Zero). Trouble is they realise after a few decades that they have been violating earth's restrictive copyright laws and now owe earth more than all the money that is, has been, or ever will be in royalty payments. To try to fix things, the aliens engage a young copyright lawyer who  they also think is a member of the Backstreet Boys.

Hardly deep and sometimes reads as a primer on copyright law. But a fun quick read if you like comedic sci fi.
Sounds like a very possible scenario

:P
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Page created in 0.731 seconds with 27 queries.