A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you!

Author Topic: NEW PHILIP NORMAN PAUL MCCARTNEY BIOGRAPHY PAUL MCCARTNEY:THE LIFE COMING OUT IN  (Read 180 times)

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning

New Philip Norman Paul McCartney biography,Paul McCartney:The Life is coming out in the US in May and in the UK in June.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-McCartney-Biography-Philip-Norman/dp/0297870769
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages

Lots of pages on which to record his vitriol, I'm sure. Norman is so clearly anti-Paul. Thanks for the heads-up, though!

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning

Well,please click on the highlighted link for the very good description of this book.It actually says that some of Paul's Wings songs are some of his greatest songs so after Philip so unjustly minimized Paul in Shout etc,it looks like he's finally giving him the credit he deserves.

I haven't read his John Lennon:The Life book, but I first read the excellent,empathetic book,Lennon by award winning music journalist and former Melody Maker editor Ray Coleman in 1985, a few years ago I got the updated version,and I still believe it's the most accurate and the most to be trusted.

Ray met John as an early Beatle in 1962,and he remained good friends with John right till the end,and he spent a lot of time with him and interviewed him over these 18 years.He does report John's bad sides and behavior,but he also knew and reports his good sides and qualities and he totally understands John and how he was psychologically damaged by the traumas in his childhood and teens and how he worked on himself and changed for the better especially during his last 5 years of his life.He says in the introduction,that to know John was to love him,Phillip Norman never really knew John and wasn't a friend!

Also if Philip Norman did such a ''good job'' on this John biography,then why do quite a few people say in reviewing it that John was a horrible insensitive person and that reading the book made them hate John!? Like this review on Barnes and Noble.com titled,A good Read But Drags, that says that John was a horrible insensitive person and that he made fun of black,gay,and mentally and physically disabled people(this was when John was a *very young psychologically messed up guy*!),and said he deserved to survive the bullets and be a brain damaged quadriplegic!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/reviews/john-lennon-philip-norman/1100555558?ean=9780060754020#reviews-header >:D :-X (puke) icon_mad

It's very obvious that Philip Norman writes a lot of sensationalism a lot that isn't even true to sell his books! He's probably going to do the same thing with his new Paul biography too unfortunately.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:33:14 AM by fanofthefab4 »

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages

Also if Philip Norman did such a ''good job'' on this John biography,then why do quite a few people say in reviewing it that John was a horrible insensitive person and that reading the book made them hate John!?

Take a deep breath....I personally didn't think Norman did "such a 'good job'" on his John biography. It was good, but something that purports to be a reference-style biography (as opposed to personal memoirs), should not, IMO, be colored with one's personal opinion.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning

??? Can you please explain what you meant?

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages

In both John Lennon: The Life and Shout! Norman made his anti-Paul bias clearly evident. This seemed to me particularly evident in the Lennon book. I'll try to dig up some examples later today.

I wasn't trying to slam Philip Norman, although I my initial post made it sound like I was. (The word vitriol was a bit strong.) He's definitely an excellent researcher. I just didn't care for his clear anti-Paul bias. 

I have to run right now, but I'll try to post an example of what I meant in a bit!

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages

Arrgggh; I can't find any of the specific examples I remember, even though John Lennon: The Life is meticulously indexed. I'll try again some other time, but right now I have to stop.

I didn't mean to stomp on your first post, fanofthefab4. I always appreciate heads-up about Beatles books. I'm just a bit soured on Philip Norman. I probably should have just kept my mouth shut.  :-\

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning

No need to apologize I'm thankful for someone responding to my post.But what about how he portrayed John as a horrible person and now many reviewers say they hate John and one of them said such a horrible thing?!

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages

But what about how he portrayed John as a horrible person and now many reviewers say they hate John and one of them said such a horrible thing?!

Hmm....Most of the reviews I read on that link you supplied were quite positive, and the other ones had only stars (i.e., no text). I would disagree that Norman portrayed John as a horrible person. As for that one reviewer you mentioned, someone who makes a comment like that is just ignorant, and I would take anything he or she says with a zillion grains of salt, or dismiss it entirely.

Have you read the book? I thought it was quite good, and unless I missed something (always a possibility!), his portrayal of John was not negative.

Some of these online reviews are so subjective you wonder if all the people read the same book!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages

This thread has actually inspired me to read Norman's Lennon bio while on holiday.

So far I can't see anything too negative. He balances things out ok. My main complaint is there's so little new after reading other Beatle books.

The only new info I've got so far is that Mimi had an affair with her young lodger after her husband died. And that she was reportedly still a virgin when she did so. More gossip than anything although it might provide some psychological insight into her. Buggered if I know what it is though.

Page created in 0.79 seconds with 27 queries.