Other forums > Different Conversations

Last movies you saw & what you thought of them

<< < (178/252) > >>

Jane:

--- Quote from: Octie on January 19, 2013, 03:37:42 AM ---Last one I watched was Life of Pi (like you, Jane :) ).
I thought the actor who played Pi did really well, basically being the only speaking/non-animal character for the majority of the movie.
I also thought the ending was quite interesting (although I must admit that I misinterpreted it at first). I am now reading the novel :)

--- End quote ---

Hello, Octie! I especially liked the ending, "which story do you like more, with the tiger or without it?" Wow, everything was different then...
In fact, you can choose any story you like, any course of events, because it DOESN`T matter, it won`t explain anything, and you will never know why the ship sank, or how it all started, or, for example, how Life started, or...
Do you like the book, Octie? I read it just after I had seen the movie. I believe the book is very cruel, but this is LIFE, it all seems quite true... The age gradation for the movie can be 6+, but for the book it could be 14+... ???

Kaleidoscope_Eyes:

--- Quote from: Dcazz on January 18, 2013, 03:39:44 AM ---I watched Svenghoulie this weekend and he had a 1932 movie called Island of Lost Souls. It was an adaptation of H. G. Wells, Island of Dr. Moreau.
--- End quote ---
Brilliant book! I always thought a movie adaptation of it will be scary hehe.... Was it a scary/graphic movie?

Dcazz:

--- Quote from: Kaleidoscope_Eyes on January 28, 2013, 12:18:19 AM ---Brilliant book! I always thought a movie adaptation of it will be scary hehe.... Was it a scary/graphic movie?

--- End quote ---
It was actually in it's way. I thought the 1932 costumes and makeup were far better than any digital special effects a movie like this would get today. I think it might be Bella Lugosis best portrayal in his role as "The Lawgiver"! When an infraction of the law is committed He asks his gathered 1/2 man-beast bretheran "Are we not men?" and they answer as a question the in the same way"Are we not men?" in unison. Very effective in trying to control the instinct vs. morality problem (without a soul to guide them from the inside) these long sufferring hybrids go though.
One other thing I really liked was that there were long shots done from afar in the jungle scenes. Whenever the humans would walk down a jungle path there would always be a man/animal sauntering across a fallen tree above their heads or behind a bush being stocked and watched all the time without being seen. A bit unnerving.
Without giving too much away I liked this one. It's still a 1930's horror flick and can be a bit slow at times but it kept me watching. It was considered unnatural and unfit in many communities in the midwest and was banned from many theaters when it was released!

Kaleidoscope_Eyes:

--- Quote from: Dcazz on January 28, 2013, 01:29:09 PM ---It was actually in it's way. I thought the 1932 costumes and makeup were far better than any digital special effects a movie like this would get today. I think it might be Bella Lugosis best portrayal in his role as "The Lawgiver"! When an infraction of the law is committed He asks his gathered 1/2 man-beast bretheran "Are we not men?" and they answer as a question the in the same way"Are we not men?" in unison. Very effective in trying to control the instinct vs. morality problem (without a soul to guide them from the inside) these long sufferring hybrids go though.
One other thing I really liked was that there were long shots done from afar in the jungle scenes. Whenever the humans would walk down a jungle path there would always be a man/animal sauntering across a fallen tree above their heads or behind a bush being stocked and watched all the time without being seen. A bit unnerving.
Without giving too much away I liked this one. It's still a 1930's horror flick and can be a bit slow at times but it kept me watching. It was considered unnatural and unfit in many communities in the midwest and was banned from many theaters when it was released!

--- End quote ---
Thanks for that review! I am eager to watch it now!

Dcazz:
Retreat. I thought it wouls be better. Acouple on a Scottish Ilse trying to rekindle their marriage miss a fatal outbreak of a killer virus on the mainland but unknowingly invite it into their cottage when a stranger washes up on the shore with a wild story to gain their trust! Feel free to miss it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version