A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: the hollies  (Read 4579 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13488
Re: the hollies
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »

Quote from: 59
Alexis,

Wasn't that Graham Nash on the far right playing electric guitar?  I know he was one of the original members and left the group in 1968.

Here's a photo of the Hollies with Graham Nash 2nd on the left:



The picture wouldn't show up and I couldn't modify it. Take another chance?
Logged
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

  • Global Moderator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10833
Re: the hollies
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 04:13:45 PM »

Quote from: 63

The picture wouldn't show up and I couldn't modify it. Take another chance?


I've reposted the picture, Bobber.....



Logged
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

  • Global Moderator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10833
Re: the hollies
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 05:14:45 PM »

Here's another...March, 1964



Left to right:   Allan Clarke, Bobby Elliot, Graham Nash, Tony Hicks and Eric Haydock
Logged
I can stay till it's time to go

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: the hollies
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

Quote from: 59
Alexis,

Wasn't that Graham Nash on the far right playing electric guitar?  I know he was one of the original members and left the group in 1968.

Here's a photo of the Hollies with Graham Nash 2nd on the left:



Hi, Hello Goodbye ...

I'll look again, and compare with the pics you posted, thanks! I was basing my (?) on that I didn't see the name "Graham Nash" subtitled like the other names, I may have just missed it.

I'd guess by the interest you have in posting here, maybe you are a Holliephilomaniac as well?

Doctor, I need a cure!
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

  • Global Moderator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10833
Re: the hollies
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »

I'm afraid there's no cure, Alexis.   :)

Yes, I've enjoyed The Hollies since the "British Invasion."  During the late 60s, we saw Stephen Stills and Neil Young from Bufallo Springfield, David Crosby from The Byrds and Graham Nash form CSN&Y.  

What a great time that was!


Here's a screen capture from The Hollies' NME 1964 appearance.  Just one look and you'll see a very young Graham Nash.



Yes, Alexis, his high harmony is quite recognizable.
Logged
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

  • Global Moderator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10833
Re: the hollies
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »

Alexis,

Here's a slightly older Graham Nash just before he left The Hollies doing Carrie Anne.....





vFuX41S8GiM
Logged
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

  • Global Moderator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10833
Re: the hollies
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »



Woodstock    August 18, 1969
Logged
I can stay till it's time to go

pc31

  • Special Member
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11691
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: the hollies
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »

i think he did better after he left...c,s,and n do some great great music...i can mellow on them all...day....long...
plus they didn't have egos getting in their way too often anyways...

Hello Goodbye

  • Global Moderator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10833
Re: the hollies
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »

Quote from: 284
i think he did better after he left...c,s,and n do some great great music...i can mellow on them all...day....long...




Woodstock 1994

Logged
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

  • Global Moderator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10833
Re: the hollies
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 06:11:31 AM »









;)

RGDUTMPIErQ



A pair of 45's really opened my eyes
My temperature started to rise.
She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a five-nine, beautiful, tall.
With just one look and I was a big mess
Cuz that long cool woman had it all.
Logged
I can stay till it's time to go

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: the hollies
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »

Quote from: 59








;)

RGDUTMPIErQ


A pair of 45's really opened my eyes
My temperature started to rise.
She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a five-nine, beautiful, tall.
With just one look and I was a big mess
Cuz that long cool woman had it all.


You know, to this moment I never knew what the words were, it was like he was drunk or something when he was singing them. Anyone else have trouble understanding them when they first heard them?

And, BTW, I don't see any "45s" in that pic...

Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

  • Global Moderator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10833
Re: the hollies
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 02:19:15 AM »

Well, she's not facing us directly, Alexis.   ;)

I've always felt that "a pair of .45s" was a double entendre referring to both her endowment and to the dangerous atmosphere and prevalence of hand guns in that "bootleggin' boozer."

Here are the lyrics in full:

Saturday night I was downtown
Working for the FBI
Sitting in a nest of bad men
Whiskey bottles piling high

Bootleggin' boozer on the west side
Full of people who were doing wrong
Just about to call up the D.A. man
When I heard this woman singing a song.

A pair of .45's really opened my eyes
My temperature started to rise
She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a five-nine, beautiful, tall.
With just one look I was a bad mess
Cuz that long cool woman had it all.

I saw her head up to the table
With a tall-walkin' big black cat
Charlie said "I hope that you're able, boy,
'Cause I'm telling you she knows where it's at."

Well suddenly we heard the sirens
And everybody started to run
Jumpin' out of doors and tables
When I heard somebody shootin' the gun

Well the D.A. was pumpin' my left hand
And she was holding my right
I told her "Don't get scared,
Cuz you're gonna be spared,"
I gotta be forgiving if I wanna spend my livin'
With a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a five-nine, beautiful, tall.
With just one look I was a bad mess
Cuz that long cool woman had it all.
Had it all.....had it all!  (fades out)


Cool opening riff!
Cool lyrics!
Cool song!
Logged
I can stay till it's time to go

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: the hollies
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 02:41:33 PM »

Quote from: 59
Well, she's not facing us directly, Alexis.   ;)

I've always felt that "a pair of .45s" was a double entendre referring to both her endowment and to the dangerous atmosphere and prevalence of hand guns in that "bootleggin' boozer."

Here are the lyrics in full:

Saturday night I was downtown
Working for the FBI
Sitting in a nest of bad men
Whiskey bottles piling high

Bootleggin' boozer on the west side
Full of people who were doing wrong
Just about to call up the D.A. man
When I heard this woman singing a song.

A pair of .45's really opened my eyes
My temperature started to rise
She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a five-nine, beautiful, tall.
With just one look I was a bad mess
Cuz that long cool woman had it all.

I saw her head up to the table
With a tall-walkin' big black cat
Charlie said "I hope that you're able, boy,
'Cause I'm telling you she knows where it's at."

Well suddenly we heard the sirens
And everybody started to run
Jumpin' out of doors and tables
When I heard somebody shootin' the gun

Well the D.A. was pumpin' my left hand
And she was holding my right
I told her "Don't get scared,
Cuz you're gonna be spared,"
I gotta be forgiving if I wanna spend my livin'
With a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a five-nine, beautiful, tall.
With just one look I was a bad mess
Cuz that long cool woman had it all.
Had it all.....had it all!  (fades out)


Cool opening riff!
Cool lyrics!
Cool song!


Thanks for those lyrics, Hello Goodbye - I finally know what they're singing, woo hoo! Yeah, that riff is very cool, another great 60s (70s) guitar riff song, in the tradition of Day Tripper.

Double entendre ... maybe like in "...our favorite American group - Sophie Tucker*"!

*Paul at the Royal Variety performance, 2:54
bhY-dq4A8p8

Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Pegasus

  • One And One Is Two
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 24
Re: the hollies
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »

Hi all

just joined this forum....

I am a Lifelong Beatles fan...AND Hollies fan ! - plus Shadows, Ventures, Stones, Who, Kinks, Moody Blues, Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Chicago, BS & T, CSN (Y) pink Floyd, Cream, Hendrix, Creedence.....and MANY more !

The Hollies are one of the most underrated & "unknown" bands to have had 32 UK hits....some 315 Worldwide Chart placings, 62 worldwide Album chart placings....and even MORE UK "Official" singles chart hits than The Beatles (discounting Re-issues)....

Obviously The Beatles are THE BIGGEST band ever....and comparing ANYONE to them is unfair and pointless....yet when taking The Fab Four as the "Benchmark" & comparing all other bands careers to The Beatles....the Hollies, worldwide, do in fact stand up VERY STRONGLY....

up to 1970, when The Beatles disbanded They had 22 UK chart hits....as ALSO did The Hollies & The Dave Clark Five....while The Rolling Stones in fact had around 15 hits....The Kinks 20 hits...& The Who 12 hits !

...While The Shadows had 23 UK chart hits....up to 1967 (More later after 1973 too) ....plus LOADS more Backing Cliff Richard up to 1966... !
 
ANY questions you may have re The Hollies just ask & I will try to answer if I can...
Logged

In My Life

  • Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
  • *****
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 4067
Re: the hollies
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 04:58:29 AM »

Happy birthday Tony Hicks! December 16, 1945

THE HOLLIES - Stop, Stop, Stop (1967)_HQ
Logged
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

BeatlesForever

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1906
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: the hollies
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »

Hi all

just joined this forum....

I am a Lifelong Beatles fan...AND Hollies fan ! - plus Shadows, Ventures, Stones, Who, Kinks, Moody Blues, Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Chicago, BS & T, CSN (Y) pink Floyd, Cream, Hendrix, Creedence.....and MANY more !

The Hollies are one of the most underrated & "unknown" bands to have had 32 UK hits....some 315 Worldwide Chart placings, 62 worldwide Album chart placings....and even MORE UK "Official" singles chart hits than The Beatles (discounting Re-issues)....

Obviously The Beatles are THE BIGGEST band ever....and comparing ANYONE to them is unfair and pointless....yet when taking The Fab Four as the "Benchmark" & comparing all other bands careers to The Beatles....the Hollies, worldwide, do in fact stand up VERY STRONGLY....

up to 1970, when The Beatles disbanded They had 22 UK chart hits....as ALSO did The Hollies & The Dave Clark Five....while The Rolling Stones in fact had around 15 hits....The Kinks 20 hits...& The Who 12 hits !

...While The Shadows had 23 UK chart hits....up to 1967 (More later after 1973 too) ....plus LOADS more Backing Cliff Richard up to 1966... !
 
ANY questions you may have re The Hollies just ask & I will try to answer if I can...

Welcome to the DM Beatles Forum Pegasus, I feel confident that you will enjoy yourself here. Take care.
Logged

nimrod

  • Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3118
Re: the hollies
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »

Welcome to the DM Beatles Forum Pegasus, I feel confident that you will enjoy yourself here. Take care.

he joined in May 09 BF  ha2ha

he hasnt been what you'd call a prolific poster
Logged
"I have always thought in the back of my mind.... cheese & onion...."

BeatlesForever

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1906
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: the hollies
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »

he joined in May 09 BF  ha2ha

he hasnt been what you'd call a prolific poster

 ha2ha  ha2ha Now that was a good laugh wasn't it? Its really amazing how not reading this particular post properly and having a few drinks can bring Pegasus back into the light!  ha2ha   
Logged

nimrod

  • Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3118
Re: the hollies
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 12:08:01 AM »

 ha2ha
Logged
"I have always thought in the back of my mind.... cheese & onion...."

Badgirl66

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1750
    • My Hometown
Re: the hollies
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »

i like the Cover of If I Needed Someone



THE HOLLIES- "IF I NEEDED SOMEONE" (W / LYRICS)
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
 

Page created in 1.089 seconds with 27 queries.