A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Author Topic: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...  (Read 1966 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:40:05 PM »

Did you guys hear about this? Some bipolar kid went on line, declared into his webcam that he was going to kill himself, then he did, and no one tried to stop him apparently, or called the cops.

Now here's the horrible thing ... it wasn't a quick thing like a gunshot wound or hanging. He calmly took an overdose of pills, then lay down in bed, and slowly died - all the while, the webcam was "rolling".

And nobody called the cops for hours. They derided him, egged him on, called him a f**got.

Gotta wonder what was going through their heads. Should that be a criminal offense (I mean, not calling the cops, or sending a message to the board moderator or something, right away)?

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/11/online-suicide.html
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

An Apple Beatle

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5614
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:02:04 PM »

It's very sad and really does question society.
Logged
http://www.4sitemusic.com/studio
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

pc31

  • Special Member
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11703
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »

it happened over the course of 13 hours....

pc31

  • Special Member
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11703
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »

who should be charged then??

Sondra

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6968
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:52:12 AM »

Is this for real? I mean, this isn't a hoax? Because I would think something like this would garner national media attention.
Logged

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:23:34 AM »

Quote from: 216
Is this for real? I mean, this isn't a hoax? Because I would think something like this would garner national media attention.

One would think, but times are not as they used to be, even compared to a few years ago. Things are pretty f*d up in a lot of ways, that's for sure.
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

  • Special Member
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11703
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 12:07:54 AM »

yes it happened in pembroke pines florida.........

Mrs Lennon

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1614
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:52:22 AM »

It's no joke, I read the news, oh boy.....(frown)
Logged
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Joost

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5059
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »

Quote from: 216
Is this for real? I mean, this isn't a hoax? Because I would think something like this would garner national media attention.

I read about it on a Dutch news site. So that in fact makes it international media attention.

And by the way, did you know that the media (or at least the Dutch media, I don't know if they do that everywhere) intentionally try to keep news concerning suicides as much out of publicity as possible? Because apparently it very often 'inspires' people to do the same thing. Strange but true.
Logged

Mairi

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7885
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 02:27:35 PM »

^That's true. They do that in North America, too.


I think that a lot of these people who were watching on the webcam probably thought that the suicide was faked. There are so many fake videos on the internet, well... I can't blame them for being a little skeptical. Although you'd think they'd realize it wasn't a hoax after the first few hours.
Logged
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

PaulieBear

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 1447
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 09:46:46 PM »

I heard that people tuned in and encouraged him to do it and didn't call after he killed himself.

not only can you lose your identity online, be stalked online and have sex online but now you can kill yourself live online!
Logged

Sondra

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6968
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »

Quote from: 56

I read about it on a Dutch news site. So that in fact makes it international media attention.

And by the way, did you know that the media (or at least the Dutch media, I don't know if they do that everywhere) intentionally try to keep news concerning suicides as much out of publicity as possible? Because apparently it very often 'inspires' people to do the same thing. Strange but true.

I was really hoping it wasn't true. It's too disturbing to even begin to accept as reality. What a disgusting display of apathy and lack of human emotion. Even if some of them did think he was joking, someone should have had enough common sense to do something about it. And to encourage this?? This generation scares the hell out of me. Disgusting. Enough with the freaking texting and myspace garbage. They're all so self absorbed and cut off from reality. People don't even have manners anymore or the basic skills of treating others with respect. They don't even have the courtesy of acknowledging other people's existence anymore even when they're out in public! Not a smile, not an excuse me. NOTHING! They've always got a damn phone attached to their heads! Get out and interact with your fellow HUMAN beings. They need a good kick in the ass and dose of reality these kids. Horrible.
Logged

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 01:45:01 AM »

Quote from: 216

I was really hoping it wasn't true. It's too disturbing to even begin to accept as reality. What a disgusting display of apathy and lack of human emotion. Even if some of them did think he was joking, someone should have had enough common sense to do something about it. And to encourage this?? This generation scares the hell out of me. Disgusting. Enough with the freaking texting and myspace garbage. They're all so self absorbed and cut off from reality. People don't even have manners anymore or the basic skills of treating others with respect. They don't even have the courtesy of acknowledging other people's existence anymore even when they're out in public! Not a smile, not an excuse me. NOTHING! They've always got a damn phone attached to their heads! Get out and interact with your fellow HUMAN beings. They need a good kick in the ass and dose of reality these kids. Horrible.

Sandra - you sound like you're 80 years old!

FWIW, I make sure my 15 year old son isn't like that.
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6968
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 02:26:26 AM »

Quote from: 568

Sandra - you sound like you're 80 years old!


Hey!


Anyway, I may sound that way, but the culture is changing and I see the affects technology has on simple little things like how to relate to others. Plus, lots of kids don't go out and just play anymore. When I ask kids if they've ever climbed a tree or built a fort, they look at me like I'm crazy. Believe it or not, but these things are important.

I've seen a lot of this lack of empathy first hand. All of us have. It IS a different climate. You don't think this is having a negative impact on the generation? Read Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. It'll open your eyes.

Anyway, sorry if I came off angry or like an old bitty, but the story is just appalling. It makes me sad. And I'm sorry, but it has a lot to do with the culture.


Logged

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 04:56:27 AM »

I think everything will be different now, there will be a new age of everything, starting now - political, social, economic, regarding our relationship with nature - anything and everything will be different and better. I believe that it took things like: economic calamity - Recession/Depression v2.0; political calamity (8 years of dismantling hundreds years of governmental democratic evolution); social upheaval (we'll just use this suicide on line thing as an example) for us as a society to realize we've hit rock bottom. Now we climb our way back up!

The only thing that will be the same is that the BEATLES RULE!!!

P.S. I'm only half kidding about the 80 year old bit, I feel the same way sometimes, so I guess that makes me an octagenarian also.
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6968
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 05:22:21 AM »

Quote from: 568
I think everything will be different now, there will be a new age of everything, starting now - political, social, economic, regarding our relationship with nature - anything and everything will be different and better. I believe that it took things like: economic calamity - Recession/Depression v2.0; political calamity (8 years of dismantling hundreds years of governmental democratic evolution); social upheaval (we'll just use this suicide on line thing as an example) for us as a society to realize we've hit rock bottom. Now we climb our way back up!

The only thing that will be the same is that the BEATLES RULE!!!

P.S. I'm only half kidding about the 80 year old bit, I feel the same way sometimes, so I guess that makes me an octagenarian also.

I think it has more to do with common sense than being "old." I mean, I see plenty of stupidness in my own generation (x). Always have. It's pretty much been a lead in to all this nonsense going on. Ah hell, let's just blame the hippies! Don't trust anyone over 60!
Logged

adamzero

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1410
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »

I think octogenarians are cool.  It's the folks in their sixties and seventies (pumped up on 'roids) who are yelling at the kids to get off their lawns.  Most octies have more sense than to waste precious energy.  
Logged

Sondra

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6968
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »

Quote from: 9
I think octogenarians are cool.  It's the folks in their sixties and seventies (pumped up on 'roids) who are yelling at the kids to get off their lawns.  Most octies have more sense than to waste precious energy.  

Yes, because we know how open minded those 80 and 90 year olds are.  ;)

Anyway, I was just making a point. We can get angry about things like this or we could try to figure out what the problem is and do something about it. Especially those who are parents. But I guess there is no problem. I'm just being cranky.  :-/
Logged

PaulieBear

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 1447
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 06:40:06 PM »

I hate it when people are on their phones all the time

One thing that really p*ssES me off is when people text during movies. like, YOU CHOSE TO BE HERE. BE ALONE!!!
even when friends come over to my house and watch a show or a movie and they have to text, thanks, it's not enough that you're here with me as MY company but you have to be in touch with the rest of the world...
Logged

Mrs Lennon

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1614
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
Re: Suicide on live webcam ... and no one called ...
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »

I agree with Sandra's 'granny' talk. Kids these days are always on computer or have headphones in their ears or playing some sort of videogame. Believe it or not, there's a lot of fun that isn't battery-powered.
Logged
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.
 

Page created in 0.958 seconds with 27 queries.