A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 70's Thread  (Read 2720 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • That Means a Lot
Re: 70's Thread
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2015, 04:39:47 AM »

If you look closely at this picture you'll see that The Beatles actually invented Glam Rock. It was December 2, 1962 at the Embassy Cinema in Peterborough.

;D
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »

I think it's important to remember that by 1968 Elvis had been recording for 14 years. In Beatlespeak that's 1976. And no way did the kids of that year regard  them as "of the moment". Elvis greatness I think was in the fifties as the Beatles were in the sixties. No one can keep it up forever.
don't follow leaders

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2015, 12:00:43 AM »

Please read what I wrote.  I wasn't referring to the way The Beatles dressed.  I was referring to their influence on the direction of music in the 60s....

I always read what's written HG, and I did get your point. It's my failure to express myself clearly that's to blame. Unlike you, I specifically was referring exclusively to the way The Beatles dressed... simply trying to draw the comparison between Elvis and The Beatles each progressing from an originally rough and ready image towards a more dandified, flamboyant sartorial style during their respective evolutions/reinventions - so as I said, I don't think they are entirely different on that level.

As far as your point about directing/shaping musical style I'm in complete agreement with you.

See, MM, it's entirely possible to rock in dress pants, white shirt and suspenders even at the age of 67!

http://youtu.be/m3FbeIv4hFU

icon_good

Hmmmm.....I never did understand why Paul opted for that "Jaws from the James Bond movies" look to be honest  ???

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:02:36 AM by Mr Mustard »

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »

In Beatlespeak that's 1976. And no way did the kids of that year regard  them as "of the moment".

Really? I did....

;)

No one can keep it up forever.

As the actress said to the bishop  ;D

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2015, 03:29:51 AM »

Brilliant spot Bobber and a fantastic tune.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2015, 08:27:31 AM »

Brilliant spot Bobber and a fantastic tune.

Isn't it? I also love their other great hit:
! No longer available
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:35:49 AM by Bobber »

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2015, 08:34:17 AM »

This made some impact on the young Bobber.  ;D

! No longer available

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »

Hmmmm.....I never did understand why Paul opted for that "Jaws from the James Bond movies" look to be honest  ???

Too funny! icon_good
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • That Means a Lot
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »

Isn't it? I also love their other great hit:

I love that song too Cor, and also the other Babys song you posted. John Waite's voice was perfect for them.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2015, 08:34:26 PM »

Really? I did....

Sorry - meant the individual ex- Beatles in 76...
don't follow leaders

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2015, 01:33:16 AM »

But anyway, here's my quick take on 1972 for those of us growing up in Britain at the time:

Hope you've brought some candles, coz I can't see a bloody thing... oh dear, not much to cheer about is there? Strikes. Hijackings. Vietnam. Napalm. More strikes. Bloody Sunday and "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland. Power Cuts. Terrorism. "Dirty" Leeds winning the FA Cup. Yet more strikes. Even the top sitcom of the day, Steptoe & Son (that's Sandford & Son for you Americans), revolved around two down at heel scruffy buggers who hadn't got a pot to p*ss in. Blimey, it was grim.

So where to begin then? Well, appropriately enough for a dark time lit by candlelight, most of it was in black & white. A new TV quiz show called "Mastermind" was launched, with contestants sat in a big black chair under a big white spotlight being interrogated by Magnus Magnusson. Race relations was a hot topic, and racist cockney bigot Alf Garnett (that's Archie Bunker for you Americans), returning for a new TV series after four years, hardly helped matters. So we switched channels on our black & white tellies only to find a white bloke battling it out with the black guy next door in Love Thy Neighbour. On the big screen The Godfather saw things in black and white terms. He made you an offer you couldn't refuse - or else you woke up next to a horse's head. And "Blaxploitation" flix like SuperFly pitched black man vs white man. For God's sake even London Zoo's black & white star attraction Chi Chi the Giant Panda died. What we needed was a bit of COLOUR to cheer us up...

Well, we did have Green Shield Stamps to save up for stuff. "The Joy Of Sex" hit the bookshelves, and a generation of adolescent lads thought you had to grow a beard before you could make love to a woman. The glittering treasures of Tutankhamen were exhibited at London's British Museum, and thousands of us (yes, I was there) queued up for hours to see the original glam star's death mask. Roxy Music made their flamboyant debut, Ziggy played guitar and Slade and The Sweet ramped up the fun factor in the pop charts . But T Rextacy was giving way to Osmondmania by the end of the year, as a tribe of toothy Mormons invaded us from across the pond. Two little prettyboys called Donny Osmond and David Cassidy had their magazine pictures pinned up on every self respecting female teenybopper's bedroom wall. All the girls wanted to marry them. All the lads wanted to smash their faces in. Elton may have been the Rocket Man and Bowie a Star Man, but the Apollo lunar space programme was wound up.

Spaghetti Junction opened, costing 8 million quid, spread over 30 acres, supported on over 550 concrete columns, serving 18 routes on 5 different levels and all to give us 300 new ways of getting lost on the way into Birmingham.

Neither Hanoi Jane Fonda nor Henry Kissinger's shuttle diplomacy could halt the war in Vietnam. So President Nixon went off to make friends with the Chinese instead. The Cold War rumbled on, as Bobby Fischer managed to make chess trendy in defeating that Commie bloke, Boris Spassky, and the board game even briefly replaced darts as a pastime in some boozers (seriously!). Stuffy old snooker got a breath of fresh air too; some new kid called "Hurricane" Higgins won the world title.

Remember the Munich Olympics? Mary Peters, who looked suspiciously like our Prime Minister in a long wig and a tracksuit, won the pentathlon. But the real stars were elfin Soviet gymnast Olga Korbut (3 golds and a silver) and American swimmer Mark Spitz, who picked up an incredible 7 gold medals. Sadly even this sporting extravaganza was marred by terrorism when Arab militants stormed the Olympic compound and shot dead 11 of the Israeli athletes /coaches, as well as a German police officer. A failed rescue bid left 5 of the terrorists dead in what became known as The Munich Massacre. 1972!

Ovi

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2015, 11:05:12 PM »

Saying that Bowie was at his best in '67 is like saying The Beatles never got better than the Hamburg days. Jesus, can this place sometimes go to absurd lengths with the 60s worship...
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 27 queries.