Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

The Beach Boys

<< < (155/163) > >>

Joost:

--- Quote from: Casbah on November 09, 2012, 02:28:21 AM ---Anyway, I've been getting into the Smile album lately and I can't help but think what a great song Surfs Up would have been if it was about the beach, or something to do with their earlier themes. The words just sound too poetic to me (written by Van Dyke Parks). I mean its a great song, it really is, the depth that's there is incredible. And the words are good on their own, but not as a Beach Boys song.

What's your opinion on that?

--- End quote ---

The idea of 'Surf's Up' actually having lyrics about surfing or the beach sounds silly to me, that would be the exact same thing as putting lyrics like 'Love Me Do' or 'Please Please Me' on a song like 'Strawberry Fields Forever' or 'I Am The Walrus'.

But that's just my opinion, of course. ;)

Ovi:
How about a top 3 vocal leads for Carl, Brian, Dennis and Mike?

Carl :
1. Let The Wind Blow (In Concert version - absolutely stunning; one of the most powerful and emotional moments in the history of the band. I've always wondered if everything came spontaneously or he planned to sing it that way)
2. Darlin' (many seem to prefer later live recordings, but for me Carl has never quite matched his lead here. His voice still had that bit of naivety and innocence that he lost later and that way it matches the subject matter very well)
3. 4th Of July 

Brian :
1. Surf's Up (1967 Piano Demo from The Smile Sessions)
2. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) - music critic George Starostin put it very well : "...with an intonation stuck somewhere in between lazy, melancholic, and tender, that I could never reproduce"
3. You Still Believe In Me

Dennis :
1. Cuddle Up
2. In The Back Of My Mind
3. Never Learn Not To Love

Mike :
1. Kiss Me, Baby (immaculate performance)
2. California Saga : Big Sur
3. All I Wanna Do

Joost:
Brian:
1. Surf's Up (Smile Sessions version)
2. Wonderful (Smile Sessions version)
3. Don't Worry, Baby

Carl:
1. God Only Knows
2. Darlin'
3. This Whole World

Dennis:
1. Forever
2. Cuddle Up
3. Slip On Through

Mike:
1. All I Wanna Do
2. Meant For You
3. California Saga/Big Sur

Al:
1. Lady Lynda
2. Lookin' Down The Coast (the unreleased Beach Boys version, not his solo version)
3. From There To Back Again

Bruce:
1. Tears In The Morning
2. Disney Girls
3. Deirdre

Ovi:
Interesting choices, Joost. Some information on 'Lookin' Down The Coast' ? I've never heard it/of it.

Joost:
That's probably my favorite unreleased Beach Boys song. It was written by Al and recorded by The Beach Boys in 1978. It's never been officially released, but it has been heavily bootlegged (under different titles: 'Lookin' Down The Coast', 'Monterey' and 'Song Of The Whale'). Al released a new (slower) solo version on his album 'A Postcard From California', but I think the original is far superior.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version