Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

The Beach Boys

<< < (162/163) > >>

Joost:

--- Quote from: Yeshelloitsmehereagain on September 03, 2013, 01:59:34 AM ---I hear Blondie Chaplin is on the New Brian/Al/David/Jeff album?

--- End quote ---
Yeah, he is... It's pretty funny, actually: Brian, Al and David were dismissed from the band that tours under the Beach Boys name (and now has just two Beach Boys), and this seems to be Brian's revenge: he's recording an album with no less than four Beach Boys on it. He could make it five by inviting Ricky Fataar as well.

Strawberry Field:
Ricky seems pretty involved in touring with Bonnie Raitt now, I think.

All this good news keeps coming out so now I really can't wait for Brian's new album to be released. Whether it is going to be as great as The Lucky Old Sun was, I dunno. I really loved that album.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain:
If he can do something similar with a theme and good rockers/ballads then having 4 Beach Boys singing it would be splendid. How many great songs has Brian given to Al down the years? Quite a few if I'm not mistaken. So I'll take a look when it's released.

I really like BW'88 but wish the Boys had been on that, Carl doing the lead to Night Time would have been something else...

I'd like Sweet Insanity to be properly released, along with Adult/Child, have you heard them, Joost?

I still have alot of BB's to discover...

Joost:

--- Quote from: Yeshelloitsmehereagain on September 07, 2013, 10:34:59 PM ---How many great songs has Brian given to Al down the years? Quite a few if I'm not mistaken.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, but unlike The Beatles, The Beach Boys never had this habit of everyone singing on his own compositions. Brian gave songs to everyone, Dennis sometimes gave his songs to Carl or Mike, Al sometimes gave songs to Mike... Usually the guy who's voice suited a song the best just got to sing it.

--- Quote from: Yeshelloitsmehereagain on September 07, 2013, 10:34:59 PM ---I'd like Sweet Insanity to be properly released, along with Adult/Child, have you heard them, Joost?

--- End quote ---
I have. But IMO, Sweet Insanity is just not that good and Adult/Child is a bit of a mess.

oldbrownshoe:
Kicking my heels a little bit until the BBC release comes out (three weeks tomorrow) so I've dug up the last record release I was really looking forward to.....SMiLE.....bought on its first day of release in Islington.
I'd forgotten how much I adore SMiLE!

One thing - the Wrecking Crew play a big part in the recordings, and they also played on a lot of the themes and incidental music of the cartoons of the era (I think - correct me if I'm wrong), and huge chucks of SMiLE sound like the kind of incidental music you'd get in the background of 'Top Cat', 'The Flintstones', 'The Jetsons', 'Yogi Bear' etc. etc.
Even the cover of SMiLE has a cartoon on its cover.

By the way, Music Club put out a great CD of all those cartoon themes called 'Tunes from the Toons'.....it is fantastic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version