Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible New Releases  (Read 4892 times)

Bobber

Possible New Releases
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:03:49 AM »

the latest issue of BEATLEFAN magazine contains an interview with NEIL ASPINALL, who talks about possible forthcoming new BEATLES releases.
Amongst the things mentioned are:

THE REMASTERS: "We are in the process of remastering the Beatles catalogue with upgraded sound and comprehensive booklets." According to NEIL, these reissues will start in 2007. He adds that discussions are still ongoing as to whether to issue separate mono and stereo CD's or to have them both on one disc where possible.

LOVE: There may be a single released from the soundtrack, with the most likely candidate being the new mix of WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU/ TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS

SHEA & LET IT BE: The long awaited release of the concert at SHEA STADIUM and LET IT BE on DVD may happen in 2008, but there are no immediate plans to release them at the moment.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see now....?

SallyG

• A Beginning
Re: Possible New Releases
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 05:02:13 AM »

2008?? Only the Beatles could get away with fans staunch enough to wait 43 years for a film release. Good Lord. I know Neil and Apple have been busy with this Cirque nonsense, but there has to be someone trustworthy to remaster these performances and release them before the Earth melts. Also, it looks like we're back on the elevator, more remasters. We're all going to have their catalogue 20 times over, and for them to even think about selling those stereo/mono albums on separate discs is unconsciounable.  AAAARRRGGHH!!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:53:28 AM »

Quote from: 100
2008?? Only the Beatles could get away with fans staunch enough to wait 43 years for a film release. We're all going to have their catalogue 20 times over, and for them to even think about selling those stereo/mono albums on separate discs is unconsciounable.  AAAARRRGGHH!!

Money money money. And to think what Apple was originally supposed to be for. They are the masters of marketting, make enormous amounts of money and have managed to keep people talking about and buying Beatle products for nearly forty years. A nice reminder that in the end its all about flogging a commodity, not some beautiful dream.
don't follow leaders

Wayne L.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 02:36:18 PM »

I think it's kind of crazy not releasing Let It Be on DVD yet, since their other movies are already released & I get the feeling it probably never will.

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:45:58 PM »

Quote from: 185

Money money money. And to think what Apple was originally supposed to be for. They are the masters of marketting, make enormous amounts of money and have managed to keep people talking about and buying Beatle products for nearly forty years. A nice reminder that in the end its all about flogging a commodity, not some beautiful dream.

Well somebody's got to pay for Paulie's divorce and Yoko's latest billboard projects............ :D
I just tired of the same product being re-released and being told it's something new.

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 08:00:35 AM »

Oh boy, am I glad that I recorded "Let it be" when it was on telly - loooong time ago, but have watched it at least a hundred times since then. I'd love to see some outtakes and specials though....

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »

When they do release the albums they should at least do it right and a have a disc for stereo and a disc for mono, the capitol albums are annoying when it's back to back.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 03:22:13 AM »

2008? I remember when their were talks that LIB was to come out last year.

Ergz... I hope Shea and LIB come out sooner than that.

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 09:08:30 AM »

I'd rather have Shea released. Actually, they should release a double DVD of the Washington Coliseum, Shea, and both Tokyo shows. 'Let It Be' would be great, even though it's depressing. I think if/when it ever gets released, it would be an anti-climax. We may never know.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 01:32:13 PM »

Quote from: 100
2008?? Only the Beatles could get away with fans staunch enough to wait 43 years for a film release.

That's nothing... Being a Beach Boys fan is much more frustrating. You should see the list of Beach Boys (related) albums that are currently out of print and the list of material that has never even been released though everyone knows it excists.

The Beach Boys have their own company called Brother Records Inc. (BRI), which has four owners with an equal share: Mike Love, Al Jardine, Brian Wilson and the estate of Carl Wilson. But unfortionately Mike dislikes Brian's manager and Al, Al dislikes Mike, and Brian sometimes dislikes Mike and Al (seems to depend on his mood), and of top of that, for some reason Mike seems to be against everything that Dennis Wilson was responsible for, and since he's dead and his estate sold their share to the company, he can't defend himself anymore. So whenever someone has an idea there's always someone else to veto it. It's really a terrible situation.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »

Quote from: 56

the list of material that has never even been released though everyone knows it excists.

What material is that BP ?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 07:06:59 AM »

Quote from: 360

What material is that BP ?

List of unreleased BB albums:
http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/unreleased.html

List of unreleased BB songs:
http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/vaults.html

And on top of that, the last two Beach Boys albums and all of Mike Love's, Carl Wilson's, Dennis Wilson's and Bruce Johnston's solo albums are long out of print.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 07:24:24 AM »

This is what Jon Stebbins, who wrote Dennis Wilson's biography, posted on a Beach Boys board when someone asked if Dennis Wilson's solo material would ever be (re-) released... I think this illustrates how frustrating the situation is:

Whoever told you there was something solid in the works was full of it. I can remember some guy climbing on one of the boards and saying his "reliable source" had told him the POB/Bamboo box set was on the way...blah, blah, blah, blah. It never was. This thing is exactly where it was about three or four years ago. The legal rights aspect was sorted out...James Guercio owns Dennis' solo material recorded under contract to Caribou/CBS. What is that? POB and most if not all of Bamboo. The Beach Boys or BRI own anything recorded before that...meaning all of the DW solo and BB's stuff until '74/75. If all of it was to be presented together the BRI guys and Guercio would have to come to an agreement.

Right now most, if not all of the DW masters, both solo and BB's related rest in the "brother vaults". And there are TONS of finished masters...and wonderful material that the fans have never heard. Truly the best of the unreleased BB's by far. Some of it clearly better than 75% of the released BB's stuff...no kidding. Alan Boyd has cataloged most of the tapes and knows what's there. Guercio is well aware that the tapes would need restoration and last i heard this process was never initiated. I speak with Gregg Jakobson, POB's co-producer, nearly every week. Gregg is trying to sort out some of the publishing questions that dangle on DW's solo material. DW wrote with a lot of different people and kept track of who and where and how only sometimes.

The BB's, or BRI, or Mike Love or whoever...have NOT been exactly welcoming or helpful, or momentum builders when it comes to getting DW's stuff out there. The surviving Beach Boys could have easily focused a light on the fact that this treasure is out of print and hastened the process towards a DW release. Some have charged Mike in particular with being a road block to nearly anything DW related. This is NOT sour grapes(Cam)...this comes from completely unrelated parties on the inside...who have recently told me they experienced Mike's negative attitude regarding this subject. And I don't see Brian insisting DW's solo stuff, or Carl's for that matter, sees the light of day either. Believe me a few well chosen words in public... and a phone call or two from Brian would make a HUGE difference. If he wanted this then many more people would want it too. But for the most part there is disinterest from Brian, and perhaps worse from Mike. Perhaps that's one clue as to why Dennis' fans are still waiting for a release.

Another clue would be Jim Guercio's seeming hesitation to initiate the process. This probably comes down to the fact he's busy, or he doesn't want to have to cope with an inevitable confrontation with all of the above... or probably most likely that the DW box set would not be a big money maker...or even a money maker at all at first. I think a film, either using DW's music to adorn a random movie...or to fill a movie about him...is the obvious vehicle. Perhaps this will happen...but the wheels are turning slowly. Everyone is talking...nobody is doing. I'm deeply involved in this, my life has been wrapped up in it for 7 years. I keep thinking something will budge, something will shift, and then the whole thing will all fall into place. I'm really surprised it hasn't happened yet. But in reality its no closer today than it was four years ago. I get calls from "documentary filmakers" "writers" "producers" "collaborators" etc...seemingly every other month. Most of them think they will be the ones to nudge this forward. And then they realize its all too twisted and tangled and nobody with the real power, like Brian, like Guercio, like BRI, like Mike, like Capitol, ...its a fairly long list...but none of them are even close to being on the same page. There has been talk...quite a bit of talk...maybe once or twice a month in a quick call, an email, or a yearly dinner at some L.A. restaraunt. The conversation usually goes..."We really should do something now, yeah lets get this going, okay, call me next month"...whatever....then another half a year goes by. Nothing.

I'm hoping way down inside that someone is gonna call me after reading this and say...Jon...you haven't heard? We started work last month...or the budget has been approved...or lets get to work on this now...or the hurdles have been overcome...or you're hired to write those liner notes. But the odds are like 10,0000 to 1 that will happen. I leave room for the one because in this crazy BB's world anything CAN happen but usually it doesn't. In reality...this will happen someday...the day isn't here yet...it isn't really getting closer as far as i can tell...but people are constantly talking about it. Some of us are doing what we can...and some of those who could...are not.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 11:53:18 AM »

Blimey - I had no idea there was SO much still in the vaults!!!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 02:01:55 PM »

Blimey - I had no idea there was SO much still in the vaults!!!

The worst thing is that the people who have access to the vaults say that some of the best stuff the band ever did is still in there... And nobody knows if it'll ever come out, all because of band politics or tiny little unimportant things. The truely excellent "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" for instance remained unreleased for nearly 30 years because Carl Wilson didn't want people to hear that at some point in the song he sang "shunshine" instead of "sunshine".

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 11:57:46 AM »

Quote from: 56

Carl Wilson didn't want people to hear that at some point in the song he sang "shunshine" instead of "sunshine".

That's strange, Macca used to deliberatley sing like that a lot on the Beatles' early tracks! I never understood why!

I used to think I had a fairly comprehensive BBs collection till now!!

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 12:00:05 PM »

That's strange, Macca used to deliberatley sing like that a lot on the Beatles' early tracks! I never understood why!

He wanted to sound like Carl Wilson.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »

Quote from: 63

He wanted to sound like Carl Wilson.

I can see why. Carl Wilson had one of the most pleasant voices in pop music history.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 10:22:59 PM »

God Only Knows makes the hairs on my neck stand up - one of my top 10 songs of ALL TIME!

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 10:23:40 PM »

Also love Girl Don't Tell Me - a sort of Ticket To Ride-like song!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 72 queries.