Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Censored Lyrics in "Girl"  (Read 5574 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: Censored Lyrics in "Girl"
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 12:25:32 PM »

Quote from: 966
Lyrics are NOT transcribed by a person sitting and listening the songs, who then types them out.  This was definitely intentional on someone's part.  

In the case of the Red album, I'm not so sure. Compare, for example, the lyrics to Please Please Me on the original LP release with the re-issue. On the original, which has the stereo version, they have printed John's vocal error:

At 1:27
John: "Why do I never even try, girl?" (John starts singing the second line of the second verse not the third verse.)
Paul: "I know you never even try, girl." (correctly sung)

(Of course following this flub, John half laughs the next "come on".)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »

Quote from: 483
together with the swapping around of pleasure, and leisure

These words are not swapped round on my album. Has anybody else checked?

As for the words pain and fame. If they were written down by hand and read by another person then the mistake is easier to explain.

And for the Lennon quote, we need to know where it's from to see if it's real.

DrClaw

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 03:50:23 AM »

Quote from: 410

And for the Lennon quote, we need to know where it's from to see if it's real.

The Lennon quote about the song "Girl" - "the Catholic/Christian concept - be tortured and then it'll be all right. . . I was trying to say something or other about Christianity, which I was opposed to at the time." was from the 1970 interview with Rolling Stone.  
This was BEFORE the Red Album was printed.  Curiouser and curiouser.  Fascinating how the only lyrical typo would occur there on all of the lyrics sheets for both albums and be a completely different word that isn't even sung (as opposed to the Please Please Me reference) AND doesn't even SOUND similar!

I simply don't buy the typo argument.  I am not saying it can be completely ruled it, it is just highly unlikely.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »

Thanks. I'll take a look at the interview when I can.

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 07:08:35 PM »

This is another example of reading too much into trivial things that concern the Beatles, in my opinion. "Girl" has nothing to do with religion. It's a commonly misheard lyric (I've heard people sing it "fame" before), and the typist made a common mistake. If the transcriber were into censorship, there are other songs on the red and blue albums that would have been targets long before a little love song like "Girl," and yet those were done accurately.
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 08:22:38 PM »

Quote from: 682
I find it funny that Paul and George sang "tit tit tit tit tit" in the background and nobody noticed  ;D

yes they did.

(I wrote about this in another post)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2022, 07:03:14 PM »

This old thread title caught my eye, so I wanted to bump it up. I recently listened to a podcast that focused on "Girl" on which the participants speculated on the lyrics' meaning. Some of the suggestions seemed 'way out there to me.

I find it funny that Paul and George sang "tit tit tit tit tit" in the background and nobody noticed  ;D

So childish.  roll:)  (Well, they were young.)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 01:14:52 PM »

This was an interesting thread about an interesting song.

It was based on the fact that the Red album got part of the Girl lyrics wrong and the thread-starter said it was the only time this happened. This was supposed to give weight to some kind of conspiracy theory.

Well, since then, it's been pointed out that on the Blue album the lyrics for Get Back have a mistake too.

The Blue album lyric says Sweet Loretta Modern but Paul sings Sweet Loretta Martin. So, once again, this looks more like sloppy transcription than anything intentional.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 05:00:17 PM by zipp »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2022, 04:46:44 PM »

Well, since then, it's been pointed out that on the Blue album the lyrics for Get Back have a mistake too.

The Blue album lyric says Sweet Loretta Modern but Paul sings Sweet Loretta Martin. So, once again, this looks more like sloppy transcription than anyhting intentional.

I had meant to tack on a sentence to my original post saying that I agree with you, zipp.

The original poster's allegation of a potential conspiracy reminds me of the advice I've heard that physicians in training are often given: "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2022, 07:09:20 PM »

The original poster's allegation of a potential conspiracy reminds me of the advice I've heard that physicians in training are often given: "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."

That adage is a bit different for physicians in training in Tanzania.  :)
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2022, 01:55:59 AM »

That adage is a bit different for physicians in training in Tanzania.  :)

Excellent point, Barry.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 56 queries.