Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jimmy McCulloch: Jan 1975 Guitar Magazine Q&A  (Read 5479 times)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Jimmy McCulloch: Jan 1975 Guitar Magazine Q&A
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:02:21 PM »

'The best is still to come' Jeffery Pike meets JIMMY McCULLOCH

Although only 21, Jimmy McCulloch is an already an experienced and accomplished guitar player, so it was no real surprise to those in the know when Paul McCartney picked him to join Wings last year. Despite his tender years, Jimmy has paid his dues in the rock world: he's probably best known for the year he spent with Stone the Crows, but even before that he was doing interesting things -- like touring Europe with John Mayall, playing guitar on the tasty Thunderclap Newman album produced by Pete Townshend, and doing sessions for other people besides. When I met him recently, I asked Jimmy how the McCartney-McCulloch partnership came about.

The first time I met Paul was in the Kingsway Studio when he was mixing Band on the Run. I was getting a solo album together, but I had to shelve that because Paul asked me to go to Paris to do a project of Linda's -- a band called Suzi and the Red Stripes or something like that. After that, about a month later we went up to Stockport and did Mike McGear's album, which Paul produced, with Paul, Denny (Laine), Gerry Conway and myself. It was in the middle of doing that album that Paul asked me about joining Wings.

Were you surprised?

I was a bit surprised -- especially about the way it happened. I was sitting in the studio working out some things on guitar, multi-tracking some slide things on a Dobro, three tracks in harmony . . . Paul walked in and said, 'Yeah, sounds great, that. D'you want to join the band?' So I thought, Yeah, I'll try it out, you know. So it just started there. We went round to his house and roughed out a few things on acoustics, I got to know the chords and so on. Then Geoff (Britten) join a bit later on drums, before the Nashville thing we did. In Nashville we recorded Junior's Farm, the single, then we remixed it here.

Did you find any problems or surprises in fitting in with Wings?

Not really. I'm very pleased that I'm singing more than ever before; this is something I've always wanted to do.  It was a question of getting over the confidence thing: if you do sing out of tune, nobody's going to freak out.  I'm really getting that together. Guitar wise? It was like a duck to water. It's never a worked-out guitar part, you just get the feeling of when you should play and when you should lay back and let the vocals take it, when you should pick your things and play a little lead.  Apart from the chord structure of the songs, everything else is ad lib: you put in your own interpretation of a lead figure, according to how you feel the passage should go. There's plenty of freedom. There's always something to fall back on, a structure of harmony, and the rest is trial and error at rehearsals. You try something once and if it doesn't work you know not to do it again.  And it develops until you perfect something that's really you --me, I should say -- and that fits in with the band.

Is your contribution going to change the nature of Wings?

I think so. Wings wasn't a band before. It was Paul with session musicians. Now it feels like a band, and I'm able to say my own things and voice an opinion. I can say, Listen, why don't we do this? If it works, we do it. It's everybody being able to speak up and contribute, even though Paul is so dominate. He's a very together guy as far as arrangements go.

Which is the more important aspect of Wings' work at the moment, live gigs or recording?

At the moment, records. It's a challenge at the moment because, apart from the single, nobody knows what the new band sounds like on record. So the first thing is to get a new album together and see how that works out, whether people accept it. We've already got most of the Band on the Run album together as a stage act, so we know we're capable of doing that. Now we want to go a bit further. I think the band will change, because before there was only Paul, Linda and Denny influencing the music, now he's got a drummer and a guitarist.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: Jimmy McCulloch: Jan 1975 Guitar Magazine Q&A
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:02:38 PM »

Who has influenced your music?

My playing experience is the main thing -- all the things I've played. When I started it was the Shadows and the Ventures and Sandy Nelson: I was always interested in rhythms. From that I think I got a rhythmic way of playing guitar, not rhythm guitar, playing lead in rhythmic patterns. Melodic as well --I got an influence from Django Reinhardt, Sweet Sue, Ain't she sweet? and stuff like that.

The first time I really felt on the spot was with John Mayall. I'd always been a blues fan, I'd listen to the Bluesbreakers and stuff like that . . . but I got that call to join John on the Thursday, and I was on stage with them in Germany on the Sunday! The only rehearsal we had was on the Sunday afternoon. There I was on stage in front of an audience, and John would turn to me and say, 'Take a solo now!' The material was easy enough, twelve-bar blues mostly, but that experience of having to react to an audience and build up a number, that taught me a lot. Recording-wise, Townshend was a tremendous influence, on that Thunderclap Newman record. He was working on Tommy at the time, and we were just three geezers who were thrown together. We didn't even know each other, we were thrown in the deep end. It was terrific, just seeing what could be done with two Revoxes or with an 8-track. At that time I was very young and that was great experience.

Many of your things to have been thrust on you at short notice.  Why do you think that is? Do you sit around waiting for things to happen to you?

(Laughter)  You could say that. I'm pretty lazy, I don't mind admitting it. It takes a long time to get to know people. So I tend to stay put until something else comes along. I don't know why I've been asked to join bands all of a sudden -- it's never been 'I've known you for years, let's form a band' sort of thing. It's just the way it's happened. I think it's important to have people around you that you respect, people that have talent, and it's the influences of the people around me that will shape my music more than anything.

You've never said to yourself, 'That's the sort of guitar playing I want to get into: I must learn that'?

Yeah. There's one aspect I've been trying to perfect for a long time: that's finger-picking, country blues stuff. But there are no real heroes around for me at the moment. There's no-one of whom I'd say, 'He's the one, that's how I want to play.' I get many influences, bits of classical music, anything . . . it's taking these things bit by bit, nicking this, learning that, and gradually progressing that way.

What sort of music do you listen to at home?

I like a lot of brass. It might sound corny, but I like dance bands, I really do. Jazz-style dance bands. That really turns me on. At one time I used to be a heavy rock fan, but now it doesn't appeal to me so much. I'm not putting anybody down, but it's just disappointing to me to hear a band just go bash-bash-bash till the end and then get off. I suppose basically I like melody, I go for melodic stuff these days.

What guitars do you use?

I usually stick to the Strat for studio work. I have a Telecaster with a Gibson Firebird pick-up on it, which is terrific in the middle switch position -- you seem to get a delay between the two pick-ups and you hear two different sounds. I can't always get it, but it sometimes sounds like two different guitars playing together. I have a Flying V too, which is good for the raunchier kind of song. I used to use only one guitar, an SG Special. It was the only guitar I had, and it was stolen four years ago. There were four guitars in the rehearsal room and mine was the only one in a case. That's the only one that was stolen, so they obviously knew what they were looking for. The awful thing is that it might have been somebody I know. Whoever's got it, if he'd like to write to me I'd only be too happy to have it back, no questions asked. I've never found an SG as good as that. So I sometimes use an SG now, but for most things it's the Strat.

Why? What suits you about the Strat?

It's an all-round guitar, you can get so many sounds out of it. You can adapt your sound to the song you're playing. Some guitars, you get one good sound and that's it. I like to change according to what I'm doing. I did a lot of session work, and you have to get a lot of different sounds there.

Do you like session work?

Yes, I do. But I've never been like the average session man: I always know the people I'm working with, it's someone who likes how I play and I like their songs. I've never been able just to walk into a studio and read a part. Reading is another thing that I'd like to learn to do.

What strings do you use?

I've been using Ernie Ball, but I'm going back to Fender Rock and Roll. They're more velvety -- there's more slideability. There's a good thing I came across in the States called Finger-Ease, I think. It's an aerosol that you spray on the neck and fingerboard and it's like you've been on stage for five hours, all sweaty and slidey. It's really good if you've got cold hands, like when you're rehearsing in a cold church hall and your hands are sticking to the strings. You spray this stuff on and you get the slide and the fluency. That's very important to me, fluid playing. I don't like jagged guitar playing.

How about amps?

I'm not fussy really. Anything from a little Fender Twin Reverb to a big Marshall. There are two American amps I really like. An SG amp, custom built, that I used in Nashville. That had a very good sound. And a Kustom amp with a graphic equaliser, that's pretty taster. But I'm happy with any basic straight amp, as long as it's got good speakers. I like the Binson echo thing, that's very effective on stage.

I get the impression that although you prefer certain guitars for certain effects, it doesn't matter to you that much which guitar you've got in your hands...

No, I think the sound comes out of how you play, not what you play. If you can get that sweet sound out of a really crappy guitar, then why worry? I don't like messing about too much with sounds. I get confused! I like to concentrate on getting the piece together, getting the music right.

I'm very aware of what I play in the studio. My approach is different. Everybody's afraid of making mistakes in the studio, so I think you play more carefully. But also in the studio I have a lighter touch, because I don't have to worry so much about getting the sound across. On stage the acoustics vary from night to night, sometimes the amp doesn't sound anything like it should, and you sometimes struggle a bit to get the sound. In the studio, if you've got a good engineer, he'll tell you if it's too loud or there's not enough bass, and you go and have a listen and experiment ... you've got more time to think. You can do three of four takes until you get the right sound, but on stage you have to get it right the first time.

But I haven't really done that much recording. The Thunderclap album was the first I did, and I think the guitar sounded great on it, thanks to Pete. After that it was a few sessions -- it's always been someone else's session, so if they're happy with the sound and I'm happy with what I've played, I leave it at that. I think the best is yet to come!

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 37 queries.