Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Yoko didn't break up the Beatles  (Read 15207 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Yoko didn't break up the Beatles
« on: September 29, 2018, 07:53:44 PM »

John did.  No question.  He's the one who let her into the studio.  He could have said no.

John wanted out and because of this, George wanted out, too.

It's that simple.

I'm not trying to exonerate Yoko in any way, believe me!  Also, Paul didn't decide to end the Beatles; he just went ahead and made the announcement because it was reality.

I don't know.  I wonder what would have happened without Allan Klein.  What if they all liked the person who would manage their financial affairs?  That would have been one thing they wouldn't have had to fight about.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Yoko didn't break up the Beatles
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 04:02:59 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »

Hello Goodbye:

I can't possibly argue with the logic of a pair of animated cartoons.  I guess that settles it then and conclusively so!

Oh no, Yoko!  ;yes

If it hadn't been for Yoko I'd never been declared to be loco and become the man that I am today as opposed to yesterday when all my troubles seemed so far away - including Yoko.

But John loved her - that makes up for it all, doesn't it?  Who cares about Beatles?  A man's love for his woman is more important than Beatles, right?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »

A man's love for his woman is more important than Beatles, right?

Perhaps, Loco...

https://youtu.be/ZbGuxGGOIV0

https://youtu.be/HdZ9weP5i68

She never changed her tune.   ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »

I hope to see her at the Super Bowl...

https://youtu.be/_9tqHLmPDUk

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 01:26:07 AM »

:o  ???  2ch

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »

I agree Loco John broke up the band. But Ive always thought that JYoko persuaded him to do it, probably saying he didnt need those macho guys, and Paul is a really bad guy to hang around with.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 01:03:15 AM »

nimrod:

I agree Loco John broke up the band.

Thanks for saying this.  I think John's the "Bad Beatle."  Paul tried everything he could to keep the band together.  Yet Paul gets blamed for the break-up.

I think John must have been brain-damaged from his drug and alcohol use.  Why did Yoko have any place in his life at all?  John could have chosen from hundreds if not thousands of women from all over the world.  Why'd he choose an exploitative nut like her?  And why did he force her on the other Beatles both in the studio and on the White Album?

The other Beatles should have kicked John out of the Beatles at that point.  What a headline that would have made!  If I were in a band and someone tried something like that, I'd do everything I could to get him out of the band.  John was insulting his band mates and they had to suck it up.

Then John ripped off his fans with those ridiculous solo albums he did that were full of nonsense and a screaming Yoko.  People like myself bought those records.  What a slap in the face and ass that was!  I never forgave John for it.  He knew his fans would buy his records.  Maybe John hated his fans.

I think we should proclaim Paul the Greatest Beatle.  John does not deserve it.  Using Yoko, he destroyed the Beatles.  They couldn't be Beatles anymore with her around.

If that's not bad enough, why did John foist her on Chuck Berry, too?  Didn't he have any respect for Chuck Berry?  Chuck Berry should have kicked John's ass off that stage!  Also, John's singing was totally flat in his duet with Chuck Berry.  I can't imagine for one minute that Chuck Berry was impressed by John.  He must have been wondering how John got to be so famous.

Sorry about the venting.  This whole thing really makes me madder than hell!   icon_mad
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:06:07 AM by Loco Mo »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 05:25:59 AM »

Maybe it was Paul who broke up The Beatles...

https://youtu.be/iiUwU-5ZU_U

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 07:38:08 AM »

I think John must have been brain-damaged from his drug and alcohol use.  Why did Yoko have any place in his life at all?  John could have chosen from hundreds if not thousands of women from all over the world.  Why'd he choose an exploitative nut like her?  And why did he force her on the other Beatles both in the studio and on the White Album?

Then John ripped off his fans with those ridiculous solo albums he did that were full of nonsense and a screaming Yoko.  People like myself bought those records.  What a slap in the face and ass that was!  I never forgave John for it.  He knew his fans would buy his records.  Maybe John hated his fans.

If that's not bad enough, why did John foist her on Chuck Berry, too? 

Sorry about the venting.  This whole thing really makes me madder than hell!   icon_mad

You know Loco. I’m beginning to suspect you’re not a Yoko fan ... ;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »

For what’s it worth I also don’t think Yoko broke up the Beatles. I think the disagreements over managers was more the final straw. While John did seem at points to want to leave, he did go back and forth quite a bit. If they didn’t have all the issues with Klein, they all might have worked together again reasonably quickly.

I do think once the split occurred, Yoko wasn’t too keen on Paul again working with John and usurping her position as John’s collaborator. If she didn’t actively work against John and Paul getting back together she certainly wasn’t facilitating it.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »

I think we should proclaim Paul the Greatest Beatle. 

I agree !

Paul did all he could to keep the band together, without his urging we may have a few less Beatle albums to drool over..

And look at the life the man has led, what a great bloke he is, perfect husband to Linda, perfect Dad to his kids, done loads for charities and animal rights, still performing live all over the world at his age, the most successful song writer in history.............yep, THE greatest Beatle.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Strawberry Fields

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 08:23:13 PM »

Wow!  The Beatles broke up 48 years ago.  Isn't it time to let it to?  If they had continued as a band they well may not have the place in history that they do.  Like Garbo, then knew when to leave. 
As for John Lennon choosing Yoko Ono, is that really anybody else's business?  He did.  For some reason, she gave him what he needed.  I have no idea what was going on in John Lennon's brilliant, twisted mind but he obviously wasn't happy with where his life was going as far back as March 1966 when the gave the infamous Maureen Cleave interview, to paraphrase, saying he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing but "that" (The Beatles) wasn't it.  As for his showing "hatred" for his fans, perhaps he credited us with having the intelligence to buy or not buy his music.  It's not his fault you did, Nimrod.
As for his solo albums, I consider several of them brilliant, far better than Paul's music.  It's impossible to compare the two now as Paul has had almost 38 years longer to create than John did.  A psycho was responsible for that and it wasn't Yoko Ono.
I had the good fortune to stand in a room with three of The Beatles in Beverly Hills in 1965.  I was with two other very young girls.  John Lennon wasn't present.  Paul was very nice and seemingly amused.  George and Ringo ignored us, which probably would have been my reaction if I had been in their place. 
But "Best Beatle" is really silly.  John founded the band and he ended it.  I agree, not in the best way possible.  He later admitted he was wrong about Allen Klein.  Paul's buying shares in Northern Songs behind John's back wasn't the classiest thing to do. 
As for Yoko Ono, I appreciate her music.  Her art, although often childlike, has a certain positivity that soothes my often angry soul.  I was very young but I felt there was a lot of cruelty shot at Yoko, which she didn't deserve.  Lennon's marriage was already in shambles.  Nobody can break up a happy marriage.  If Yoko had been a young, blond, skinny, dimwit "bird" with an IQ of 90 people, probably would have reacted differently. 

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 11:48:56 PM »

What an excellent, intelligent, well-balanced post from Strawberry Fields (above). A whole lot to agree with there.

Of course Yoko didn't break up The Beatles. She was a very convenient scapegoat on which to pin the blame for the demise of something magical which had run its course anyway. It's been said many times but surprise surprise those cheeky young moptops had the audacity to grow up folks! John had always been an obsessive person, at various times and intensity with guitars, with rock & roll music, with Cynthia, with "Beatles"... each waxed and waned in his restless, mercurial consciousness. He got bored. When Yoko Ono arrived she quickly became his new, all encompassing obsession. She was HIS omnipresent muse, not ours, and he had a right to follow the course he felt his life should take. Ironically, this "take me or leave me" honest attitude John presented to the public - a stance so admired by George - seemed only to generate yet more magnetism towards and fascination in him.

No one Beatle could sensibly be regarded as the "best" Beatle. "Best" in what sense? I'd bet John would have given anything to have had the blessings Paul or George had with their close siblings and loving, stable, extended and protective families. No doubt if he had he would have been a more rounded and tolerant person and we would never have known the kind hearted but armour plated, spiky, confrontational genius we were lucky enough to witness. He had a more materially comfortable but far more emotionally damaging childhood than Paul, George or Ringo. He could have developed into a really nasty bastard but he always seemed to want to improve as a person and recognised his own shortcomings. That honesty is just as admirable to me as Paul and Ringo's affability and George's deep spirituality. All four Beatles were flawed but for sure all were good men.

Astonishingly considering his breadth of talent, Paul was in many ways the insecure Beatle. Yes he fought tooth and nail to keep the show on the road whereas John and George lost interest and Ringo gamely tried to keep the peace. It's always been ironic to me that Paul got blamed for breaking up the group when each of the other three had all quietly quit at various times before cautious, wary Paul did. I'm sure loyalty and a sense of duty to his public fired a lot of Macca's drive to maintain the band. I wonder too though whether Paul had a certain caution, bordering on timidity towards change. The last to dabble with LSD, the last to marry, the last to leave London, the last to call time on the public's beloved Beatles. Of all the four it could be argued he was best equipped to cope in a solo musical, post-fabs environment. Yet he was the one whose confidence went into a nervous tailspin, while George flourished, John embraced the split as cathartic and Ringo defied all expectations.

Paul was right about Klein, though. Maybe Klein broke up The Beatles?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 04:09:12 AM »

No one Beatle could sensibly be regarded as the "best" Beatle.

Except...

;)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »

For what’s it worth I also don’t think Yoko broke up the Beatles. I think the disagreements over managers was more the final straw. While John did seem at points to want to leave, he did go back and forth quite a bit. If they didn’t have all the issues with Klein, they all might have worked together again reasonably quickly.

I do think once the split occurred, Yoko wasn’t too keen on Paul again working with John and usurping her position as John’s collaborator. If she didn’t actively work against John and Paul getting back together she certainly wasn’t facilitating it.

Did Yoko split the Beatles ? I guess no-one will ever know what would have happened if John had never met her, she seemed to have a certain power over him, and in his post Beatle interviews he frequently complained about the other 3 being not very nice to her and Paul in his recent 60 minute interview admitted that when Yoko appeared in those Beatle photo shoots they were 'scared' to say anything to John as he was so infatuated with her.
John frequently said in interviews that when he met Yoko it was time to leave his mates at the bar, like men do when they 'grow up' so its easy to take the next step and surmise that when Yoko came on the scene, that was it for his mates Paul George & Ringo.
So I would say that Yoko was the catalyst for the breakup of The Beatles. Whether it would have happened anyway, who knows ?
Klein was certainly a major factor.

It also seems obvious from everything I have heard and read that Paul tried very hard to keep the band going and even tried to persuade the others to perform live, but by then John had had it with everything Beatle wise and began a new chapter with Yoko.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 12:38:32 PM »

Yes, I agree with Strawberry Fields and Mr Mustard here. I believe the Beatles were sort of finished with each other. They had had the big success with each other. They outgrew each other. Nothing special, it's just a couple of good friend that go their seperate ways. Maybe we have to thank Yoko for showing up on the scene.

Strawberry Fields

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »

I agree Mr. Mustard, Allen Klein was a terrible choice for a manager.  John later admitted Paul was right about him.  John had the ability to admit when he was wrong.  He obviously wasn't a businessman.  I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it was George Martin who said the average ten-year-old had a better grasp on finances than John did. 
John obviously had issues related to his traumatic childhood which I don't think he ever resolved.  But if Yoko was the band-aid that made it more bearable, than good for her.  John desperately needed a family.  He says in an early interview available on YouTube that he hopes he and Cynthia have as many children as "roll out" and that he liked the idea of a large family.  John had a lot of problems which weren't properly dealt with imho.  I also suspect some of John's anger came from his terrible eyesight.  That's just an observation as somebody who was extremely myopic until corrective surgery.  Only afterward did I realize how much myopia had impacted my life. 
My only experience with Yoko Ono was when I worked for a Fundraising Group in the late 1990's.  We requested doodles from artists for auction to raise money to for a food pantry in Manhattan.  Yoko was one of the artists we invited to be the host of the event.  We also invited Elton John.  And many others.  The only two people who actually called to decline were Yoko and Sir Elton.  I spoke with Yoko and she was apologetic, saying she would be away but would consider it at a later day.  I didn't speak with Sir Elton but he also called to decline.  Both of them sent artwork, Yoko from herself and one of John's.  I know through the grapevine that both of them have continued to send artwork through the years.  So Kudos to Yoko and Sir Elton.
I can't imagine the other three kicking John out of the group.  They were the Beatles, the four-headed monster up until the last.  None of them were replaceable. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.69 seconds with 76 queries.