Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Is the white Album the Beatles true masterpiece?  (Read 8800 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Is the white Album the Beatles true masterpiece?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »

It has its place, its sprawl is its charm, but a masterpiece not (imo of course). Its a good album from a time when lots of good bands were making good albums.
AHDN is a masterpiece (I think). Its unique - there is nothing in 1964 that even comes close. In fact I would say its beyond comparison. None else was making music as good as this. And its near perfect.
don't follow leaders

Mean_Mr_Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 06:07:34 PM »

Quote from: GreenApple
I could never understand the fuss about TWA. Many have made it out to be the best of their albums. Adamzero is right; too many loose ends and un-Beatles stuff like Rocky Raccoon. Great stuff on it, but no way it's their best. I wish they had made it a single album, then did another single album later in '68 with other material.

I dont see how a song can be "Un-Beatle like stuff" If it is written by The Beatles.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 04:41:15 AM »

Quote from: Mean_Mr_Mustard

I dont see how a song can be "Un-Beatle like stuff" If it is written by The Beatles.

I agree. What exactly is 'Un-Beatlelike stuff?' Its not my favorite album of theirs, but I still love the hell out of it, especially because of its diversity. They kept evolving and in 1968 this is where they were at, basically all over the place. And then what exactly is Beatle-like stuff? The songs you like?

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 01:53:39 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

I agree. What exactly is 'Un-Beatlelike stuff?' Its not my favorite album of theirs, but I still love the hell out of it, especially because of its diversity. They kept evolving and in 1968 this is where they were at, basically all over the place. And then what exactly is Beatle-like stuff? The songs you like?

Of course, it's all personal taste and opinion, but I think a song like Rocky Raccoon has just wandered too far from Beatles sound.
All You Need Is LOVE!

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 03:13:48 PM »

Quote from: tkitna

There is so much material on the White Album that isnt rock and roll that this statement is untrue. Out of 30 or so songs, I bet that not even 10 of them are considered rock songs. I'll have to check later.

I counted 10 rock and roll songs

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 04:13:46 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

Just again, to try and explain myself. The wandering they did on TWA, the diversity, which you admire - all respect to your view - just makes me personally want to listen to more mainstream Beatles sounding stuff. That's all I'm saying. So, I suppose I'm saying that I think some of that stuff sounds 'un-Beatles' in my view only. But, maybe others here agree with my view. And, maybe that's what George Martin meant by thinking it should have been a single album. I don't know. Anyway, just my view.  :)
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 04:37:19 PM »

Weird isn't it. I'm one of those who thinks its diversity is its strength. yet others see it as a flaw. It's a funny old world.
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 06:02:04 PM »

Quote from: raxo
Anyway Psicodelia was going to be an old-fashioned style in a very short of time (not more than two years).

But, then again, Pink Floyd made a long and fantastic career out of psychedelia.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 08:13:58 PM »

But, then again, Pink Floyd made a long and fantastic career out of psychedelia.

Exactly what I was trying to say. Out of psychedelia.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2005, 02:26:56 PM »

I'm here raxo! To debate TWA. Not much to add to what I said. I find it very sober, after the psychedelic stuff. Though I said I don't judge by albums, I just find it somehow wanton in it's scope. Maybe they felt so confident at that stage of their career, that they felt they could do music to please themselves, or there would be so many songs they could afford to play around with some of them. I never liked the title or the cover either. But the worst thing about it is that George was conned with only 4 songs out of 30!!! He didn't even get the 5 he was supposed to get!
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2005, 02:55:42 PM »

I think they didn't really know what to do at that moment in their career:

one recent failed (Magical Mystery Tour film)  :-/
no live shows, (then they were a studio band)  :-/
nearly two years of pychedelia (too many for an innovative band)  :-/

so they made another album.

They seem tired to me:

Recorded almost all the songs they've got at that moment (bad and good ones).  :-/
Used three studios at Abbey Road in five months with some holidays of Sir George, Ringo and George. :-/
Discussions that caused Geoff Emerick gave up.  :-/
Cover and title as you said.  :-/

George ain't got better songs than 4 in those sessions: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Long,Long,Long, Sour Milk Sea and Not Guilty though I like Savoy Truffle too. They should have used Don't Pass Me By in Beatles For Sale (its country sound fits better in that one) and so they could include 5 songs from George, but no more: which ones?

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2005, 02:57:42 PM »

Thanks for the 'maybe' option...refreshing change. lol :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2005, 03:01:53 PM »

Are you joking or ... ??)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2005, 03:03:22 PM »

I can never commit to these votes....Depends on who you are and what you like. :)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2005, 03:12:19 PM »

They sure should have used DPMD in Beatles For Sale; to give a little justice to Ringo. I don't know what else George had. But, if John and Paul had said 'George, with 30 songs, you can really show what you've got with this album', or the like, I'm sure he could have shown us some good stuff. Couldn't have been any worse than Birthday, say.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2005, 03:31:58 PM »

Are you joking or ... ??)

...or teasing me?

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2005, 03:33:51 PM »

Well I never knew that. Nice insight. ;)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2005, 03:44:01 PM »

They sure should have used DPMD in Beatles For Sale; to give a little justice to Ringo. I don't know what else George had. But, if John and Paul had said 'George, with 30 songs, you can really show what you've got with this album', or the like, I'm sure he could have shown us some good stuff. Couldn't have been any worse than Birthday, say.

We know the 4 from the WA, but he also wrote in those days (at least):
1. Not Guilty (recorded but unreleased until his solo album from 1979 titled "George Harrison", you know it from the Anthology 3 and it sounds very similar).
2. Sour Milk Sea (demo in Esher Demos in may 68, recorded by Jackie Lomax that year with George producing it -a good one that the guys should have used in TWA, IMO).
3. Circles (demo from the same sessions in Esher, mostly instrumental at that moment and was unreleased till his solo album from 1982 titled "Gonne Troppo", no a great one, indeed).
4. Something (in a very early version at piano at the end of the sessions of WA -inspired by "Something In The Way" of James Taylor, it's said that the same day Paul made an early version of what would become Let It Be).

P.S. I don't like Piggies.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2005, 03:46:16 PM »

LOL...Has to catch me in the right moment...very rare. lol

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2005, 03:50:48 PM »

We know the 4 from the WA, but he also wrote in those days (at least):
1. Not Guilty (recorded but unreleased until his solo album from 1979 titled "George Harrison", you know it from the Anthology 3 and it sounds very similar).
2. Sour Milk Sea (demo in Esher Demos in may 68, recorded by Jackie Lomax that year with George producing it -a good one that the guys should have used in TWA, IMO).
3. Circles (demo from the same sessions in Esher, mostly instrumental at that moment and was unreleased till his solo album from 1982 titled "Gonne Troppo", no a great one, indeed).
4. Something (in a very early version at piano at the end of the sessions of WA -inspired by "Something In The Way" of James Taylor, it's said that the same day Paul made an early version of what would become Let It Be).

I think those George songs, Sour Milk Sea, and Circles, were recorded at the demo session at George's house, weren't they? Have they surfaced on bootleg yet? Fact that they weren't on Anthology might point to the future possibility of new Anthology album, as I said a while ago.
All You Need Is LOVE!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 2.373 seconds with 80 queries.