Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Band V Venus  (Read 3165 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Band V Venus
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:05:33 AM »

Wings commercial peak in terms of album success came about with  " Band On The Run " and  " Venus And Mars " , both were transatlantic # 1's in America and the UK .
These  albums represent Paul and Wings defining their sound , so which of these two great albums do you like best and why ?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Band V Venus
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:17:36 AM »

I used to think Band On The Run was a much better album than Venus and Mars , but over the years i've changed my opinion and i now think Venus is a much more superior album . The songs are more interesting and the sound is bigger , so my vote is most definitely going to Venus , she blows the quite dated Band On The Run out of the water (thumbsdown) (thumbsup)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:22:27 AM »

At the time, I would have said Band On The Run, but Venus & Mars seems to have weathered better.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:43:43 AM »

Quote from: 483
At the time, I would have said Band On The Run, but Venus & Mars seems to have weathered better.

I agree BlueMeanie it's got a much more intergalatic sound than Band On The Run , i'm waiting for the spaceship to pick me up now

(beammeup)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »

I'm probably just displaying my advancing age and declining critical faculties, but I still prefer Band On The Run. I like the spare production and directness of the songs. Venus and Mars is a great mid seventies road album, though, and Wings' best record after Band. Too bad Paul didn't add "Junior's Farm"/ "Sally G" to one of the CD issues.

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:39:25 PM »

I'm going to go with Venus and Mars. DaveRam pretty much summed up what Venus and Mars is like. Nowadays I think Band on The Run is overrated because McCartney fans haven't listened to other Wings albums.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 05:18:16 AM »

Venus & Mars rocks my world.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »

What i like about Venus and Mars is , is it still sounds like a modern piece of music .Those 70's synthesizer touches which are used to great effect along side the traditional instruments give the album it's timeless quality i think .
The other thing is they just sound like there having a lot of fun as a band , i suppose they knew they were on a bit of a roll at the time . I like happy Paul he's "daft as a brush " on this album (teeth1)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »

As always, your posts Dave Ram... great ones :)

I would say "Band on the Run", I think it's probably the best collection of songs that Wings ever included on one disc. "Venus and Mars" is true, it sounds far more interesting. The sound quality of that album is quite poor. Just listen to Medicine Jar or Rockshow. It sounds like it was recorded inside a bath... But, thinking about it, tracks like Jet or Mrs Vanderbirlt from BOTR also sound poorly. What's happening in the early 70's?

So my vote is for Band on the Run, best Paul album in my opinion probably after Ram and Tug of War.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 03:36:45 AM »

I pick 'Band On The Run'. Regardless of the production (which I dont think either is very good), the songs on BOTR are just better. Thats pretty much how it boils down to me. 'Venus And Mars' is all over the place consistency wise in my opinion.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 09:00:23 AM »

I like the idea Wings might record in the bath wingsman lol

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 03:47:08 PM »

Venus for me, my favourite Wings album. I agree that Band is over rated. It has some excellent tracks but Mrs Vandebilt is terrible and No Words and Mamunia are well below par (but not awful).

I like the eclectic mix of venus and it has 2 forgotten gems on it, Love In Song and Treat Her Gently (the only 2 songs he didnt perform on the world tour of 75/76.

I also think Venus benefits from having a full band line up rather than having paul making do, playing drums etc

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 02:42:38 AM »

^ not to be nit picky but Wings didn't perform the V&M reprise or the Crossroads Theme on the World Tour either.  ;)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 03:36:26 PM »

Venus & Mars for me. it's always been my fav Wings album. i never saw Band on th Run as a true wings, only
3 people were on the album. V&M is such an exciting album, there's lots going on, & alsorts of periods like
rock, love songs, 30's-type stuff, soul. its all there. wonderful album!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 73 queries.