Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which One ?  (Read 3477 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Which One ?
« on: January 17, 2008, 12:45:37 AM »

Which of these two songs do you like best ? I think both illustrate Paul could still write a very catchy pop song well into his middle age , and although neither were big hits both of them reached # 18 on the UK charts .
They should rank in my opinion with some of his big Wings hits ? :)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Which One ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »

Ive gone with Hope Of Deliverance as i love the rhythm , it reminds me a bit of George's My Sweet Lord ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:58:22 AM »

Hope Of Deliverance was a big hit for Paul in Germany reaching # 3 on there chart in 1993  :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:14:02 AM »

I chose 'Hope Of Deliverance' also. I like both a lot though.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:21:40 AM »

Funnily enough, he's not been that high in the UK chart since either of these two. I vote for Hope Of Deliverence mainly because I always thought I hated it until I saw the vid on VH1 a few months back. Nice surprise.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:28:42 AM »

Quote from: 483
Funnily enough, he's not been that high in the UK chart since either of these two. I vote for Hope Of Deliverence mainly because I always thought I hated it until I saw the vid on VH1 a few months back. Nice surprise.

These two songs signal the end of Paul's hit making days BlueMeanie , both failed on the Billboard chart , Hope of Deliverance got to # 83 and This One # 94 , but at home they were still decent sized hits .
I think the video's for both songs are very good ?
I know Paul as continued to release singles , but for me they all lack Paul's pop sensibility , i see these two songs as a bit of a watershed, the end of an hit making era ?

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »

I voted This One, it's a great rocking one from Macca! i love the ending of it!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »

'Hope of Deliverance' was always very special to me. I remember when I was a 5 year old kid eating my Happy Meal at McDonald's  ;D and listening to this song. Curiously it happened two or three times. I was eating my sandwich and the radio played that song in more than one ocassion. At that time, I didn't knew it was Paul McCartney. Ten years after that I began to listening Beatles music, and then once the radio introduced Hope of a Deliverance as a 'Paul McCartney classic track'. And then they played it. I was so happy! That song get stucked in my mind all those years, and then reappeared just when I was discovering the Beatles music. Then, I bought 'Off the Ground'. It was great.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »

Yes, This One reached #18 in the UK charts as Hope did. But there was a huge difference.
This One was a much bigger hit if you consider that it was the SECOND single from Flowers in the Dirt. It was released several weeks after the album was released. So a lot of people had already the song. In the other hand, Hope of Deliverance - with a CD edition that included 3 non-album B-sides!!  :o, was released the week after Christmas, a time when no one is releasing anything and it's easier to manage reaching a higher position.

So there were #18 both of them, but in really different circumstances.  :)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 02:07:52 PM »

How can it be a bigger hit  ? wingsman if they both got to # 18 and both had a six week chart run , yes This One was a second single it equalled My Brave Face which also got to # 18 , that was the first single from Flowers in the Dirt .
My point is it's not what people were buying and at what time of year , it is that by 1989 / 1993 people were not buying Paul's singles in any great numbers to push them higher than # 18 , all three are medium size hits but he's not gone higher than # 18 on the UK chart since 1993 , so in effect his hit making days end then .
Love Me Do reached # 17 in the uk charts in 1962  so i think hitting # 18 in 1993 ends a nice 30 year run of hit making  :)

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 03:10:52 PM »

Still, I think his performance in the charts was remarkable after 1993. Of course, his singles never went higher than #18, but... for not too much.
The problem is that, at a certain point, musicians with a long career became more album artists rather than single artists.

'Flaming Pie' was a huge hit as an album project, reaching #2, but still produced 3 UK Top 25 singles. 'Young Boy' reached #19, which is almost #18.  ;D
When an artist gets older, is more difficult to reach highest places. But 'Fine Line' still showed a remarkable Paul's staying power at the charts, reaching #20. Even 'Jenny Wren' peaking at #22 I think it's a big hit.

I really don't think his hit making days end in the early nineties, because there's no much difference between a #18 and a #20. If you consider what I said, 'Fine Line' was even a bigger hit than 'Hope' or 'My Brave Face' or 'This One', because it's really hard to make a good chart placing when you are a 62 year-old. Even 'Dance Tonight' was #26 only with downloads, as far as I know.

I hope you get my point, DaveRam, my english sucks.  :P

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »

I get your point wingsman  ;)

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 63 queries.