Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 107

Author Topic: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them  (Read 200594 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them
« Reply #1860 on: December 29, 2021, 02:42:09 AM »

Eventually you will see someone who's in both

Now I'm curious! I've done searches but haven't figured this out yet.

I have come across a number of articles comparing and contrasting The Terror and The North Water, but they contain spoilers, so I'm holding off for now. I must say, I never would have recognized Colin Ferrell. He really bulked up for his role! Sort of the opposite of Christian Bale for The Machinist.

Back to watching. . .

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1861 on: December 29, 2021, 11:24:15 PM »

Back to watching. . .

Watching that one character go through laudanum withdrawal (that's not a spoiler; you can predict it from the first half of Episode 1) was nerve wracking and brought back horrible memories. As soon as he bought some in that first episode I thought "Oh, noooo; I don't wanna watch this" (with "this" being his inevitable cold turkey withdrawal). Ecchhh.  :(

But I am really enjoying this series and am so glad you mentioned it, nimrod.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 11:26:57 PM by Normandie »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1862 on: December 30, 2021, 12:06:29 AM »

icon_good CT
Watching that one character go through laudanum withdrawal (that's not a spoiler; you can predict it from the first half of Episode 1) was nerve wracking and brought back horrible memories. As soon as he bought some in that first episode I thought "Oh, noooo; I don't wanna watch this" (with "this" being his inevitable cold turkey withdrawal). Ecchhh.  :(

But I am really enjoying this series and am so glad you mentioned it, nimrod.
icon_good
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #1863 on: December 30, 2021, 01:37:56 AM »

Dont Look Up

Leonardo Dicaprio and Jennifer Lawrence are a couple of low tier astronomers that discover a comet thats heading straight for earth except the world doesnt want to listen to them.

Pretty decent.  7/10

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1864 on: January 01, 2022, 09:24:50 PM »

Eventually you will see someone who's in both

Got it!  icon_good

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #1866 on: January 02, 2022, 04:31:17 AM »

Of Mice And Men (1939)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t91ecmMnG18" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t91ecmMnG18</a>

Superb acting!

John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men was required reading for us in high school.  I still have my paperback copy.  It's time to read it again.
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1867 on: January 02, 2022, 05:12:31 AM »

John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men was required reading for us in high school.  I still have my paperback copy.  It's time to read it again.

I never had to read that in high school; I read it on my own, in grad school. Boy, was I glad, because it turned up in—wait for it!—one of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone narratives.

On a more serious note, all three of my kids did have to read this, and as they were, a character in one of our favorite sitcoms, The Middle, gave away the ending. I was NOT happy.  icon_mad

Great book; I'll have to watch the movie soon!

s

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1868 on: January 02, 2022, 05:21:35 AM »

^

Kathy, a beautifully restored print of the 1939 movie was posted a year ago on YouTube...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtqKFHcwJo&amp;t=4315s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtqKFHcwJo&amp;t=4315s</a>

I watched and downloaded it earlier this evening.

Rod Serling appreciated well-written narratives.  John Steinbeck was one of the greats.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1869 on: January 02, 2022, 01:37:31 PM »

John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men was required reading for us in high school. 

same here, periodically we quote from it, a good -"tell me about the rabbits!"

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1870 on: January 03, 2022, 01:55:01 AM »

Kathy, a beautifully restored print of the 1939 movie was posted a year ago on YouTube...

I'll have to check that out, Barry.

same here, periodically we quote from it, a good -"tell me about the rabbits!"

You two are lucky; the Steinbeck we read in high school was Grapes of Wrath, which I did not care for at all. I never even finished it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1871 on: January 03, 2022, 04:42:52 AM »

I'll have to check that out, Barry.

When you have the chance you should, Kathy.

In the meantime, you can spare a few minutes to watch this Merrie Melodies cartoon called Of Fox and Hounds (1940).  The hound, named Willoughby, is based upon the Lennie character played by Lon Chaney, Jr. in Of Mice and Men the year before.  Willoughby is a hunting dog, but does not do his job well as he is easily duped by his targets...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Q0JmWjj0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Q0JmWjj0</a>

Here Willoughby is duped by the fox in hound disguise.

The full cartoon is here:

Merrie Melodies - Of Fox And Hounds:  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7u0q0c

A little twist ending there, huh?

That's how popular Of Mice and Men was in 1939 which saw such classics as Gone With The Wind and The Wizard of Oz.

You two are lucky; the Steinbeck we read in high school was Grapes of Wrath, which I did not care for at all. I never even finished it.

I remember you saying that a few years ago.  I commented that it wasn't easy to read about such an unfortunate and desperate time in United States history.  We also talked about the era in which a book is written vs the era in which it is read.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1872 on: January 03, 2022, 11:07:22 AM »

Spencer
Diana is cleverly impersonated by American Kristen Stewart.
A very consuming style of cinematography that made this film more appealing to me. Furthermore, the score by Jonny Greenwood perfectly accompanies Diana on her journey through the film.
After 10 years of these Christmases she'd had enough.
I thought she could've gotten skinnier for the part.
7/10
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:37:49 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1873 on: January 03, 2022, 06:45:38 PM »

In the meantime, you can spare a few minutes to watch this Merrie Melodies cartoon called Of Fox and Hounds (1940).  The hound, named Willoughby, is based upon the Lennie character played by Lon Chaney, Jr. in Of Mice and Men the year before.

Oh, that Merrie Melodies theme sure brought back great memories!  :)  That was interesting, Barry; thanks for sharing it. I was not aware that Lon Cheney Jr. played Lennie in Of Mice and Men. I should reread the book—I still have it—as well as watch the movie.

I remember you saying that a few years ago.  I commented that it wasn't easy to read about such an unfortunate and desperate time in United States history.  We also talked about the era in which a book is written vs the era in which it is read.

Your memory is better than mine. Although I was thinking after I posted that that the topic had been discussed before. I think the cold up here is warping my brain.

Also, I should have mentioned, as I'm sure everyone here already knows, that the quote "The best laid plans of mice and men" is from a poem by Robert Burns; it wasn't original to Rod Serling. I didn't mean to imply that, and as usual I feel compelled to correct myself.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1874 on: January 03, 2022, 10:41:08 PM »

I was not aware that Lon Cheney Jr. played Lennie in Of Mice and Men. I should reread the book—I still have it—as well as watch the movie.

Just like his dad, Lon Chaney, Jr. was a "Man of a Thousand Faces..."

And he was perfect in the role of Lennie...

Burgess Meredith was well cast as George.

Your memory is better than mine. Although I was thinking after I posted that that the topic had been discussed before. I think the cold up here is warping my brain.

Yes, we discussed it here, Kathy, in the topic Books:  http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=12417.msg327435#msg327435

Also, I should have mentioned, as I'm sure everyone here already knows, that the quote "The best laid plans of mice and men" is from a poem by Robert Burns; it wasn't original to Rod Serling. I didn't mean to imply that, and as usual I feel compelled to correct myself.

I spent a couple of days wracking my brain trying to remember which of Rod Serling's monologues made reference to John Steinbeck's novel.  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1875 on: January 20, 2022, 01:02:39 AM »

I watched a Korean movie called Parasite.
Extremely good imo.
Recommended.

Just about a year later, I finally watched this. I enjoyed it, although I'm not sure I fully understood its overall message. Perhaps I'm overanalyzing it.

It struck several of the same financial chords that Squid Game did.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1876 on: January 21, 2022, 10:20:21 PM »

Fatal Distraction, a 2020 documentary about the Justin Ross Harris hot car death. I found it very gripping.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #1877 on: January 28, 2022, 10:02:05 PM »

Jurassic Park always a good film

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #1878 on: January 28, 2022, 11:38:46 PM »

Watched the new Bond film. Long but enjoyable and action packed. As you'd expect.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1879 on: February 06, 2022, 03:42:20 AM »

Marnie

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV_2-v_dsAU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV_2-v_dsAU</a>

It's necessary to watch this movie a few times to fully understand what Alfred Hitchcock was trying to get across.  When I saw it in the theater, I was a waiter at a summer camp on my day off out with a couple of other waiters...

Sitting behind us were some female counselors from another camp.  One of them tapped me on my shoulder and asked me "Don't you think Marnie is emasculating Mark?"  "That's James Bond!" I answered.

Sixteen year-old girls are definitely more advanced than sixteen year-old boys.   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 107

Page created in 1.064 seconds with 78 queries.