Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Something - Did George Play The Solo?  (Read 2312 times)

Bobber

Something - Did George Play The Solo?
« on: April 22, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »

Some of the older members in here might remember BlueMeanie Paul from England living in Denmark. I had a small discussion with him on Facebook. He is not convinced that George really played the solo on Something.

His thoughts: It's too good, for a start! George has never played in that style, before or since. In the Concert For Bangladesh he had one solo all night (Something), and he f***ed it up. I believe that if he could play that fluidly he wouldn't have taken up slide.

But. If George didn't play it? Who did? Clapton once again? Why did they cover it up? When was it made public that Clapton played the solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps?

Would love to read your thoughts on this.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Something - Did George Play The Solo?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:31 AM »

Not this one again. George played it. It’s well documented including how impressed onlookers were that he nailed it first go. He also played it live several times. He didn’t muck it up at concert for Bangladesh he just played it a bit differently. It wasn’t the hardest thing he played on Abbey Road. The guitar work on octopuses garden is more technically difficult. George’s role in The End guitar duel was also very fluid. I doubt they could have snuck Clapton in for that.

Something is certainly not Clapton. Sounds nothing like Claptons muscular style.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:08:10 AM by Moogmodule »

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »

Sorry I brought this up. Had never heard it before myself.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »

Ha ha no probs Bobber.  glassesslip

Sorry if I sounded impatient, it’s just I recall various threads etc that suggested Clapton had played the solo on Let It Be and another that a Spanish guitarist had done the lead on Til There Was You. And it’s a common discussion on other internet music boards where someone has a conspiracy theory that all the decent guitar on Beatle records had to have been really done by Paul, Clapton or, in some cases, Jimmy Page. Gets a bit tiring.

Poor old George gets impugned almost as much as Ringo who, various rumours have it, had his drum parts overdubbed by Bernard Purdie, or by Paul

George never had a problem acknowledging when someone had done some great guitar on his songs, eg Paul on Taxman or Clapton on While my Guitar.  The idea he’d claim what is rated as one of the greatest rock solos when it’d been done by someone else (and would be easily found out) doesn’t really add up. And that Geoff Emerick, who was hard on George in his book, wouldn’t have used the revelation that the Something solo was secretly done by another guitarist to publicise his book. Emerick is on the record as a witness to George doing the Something solo.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 11:58:59 PM »

Some of the older members in here might remember BlueMeanie Paul from England living in Denmark. I had a small discussion with him on Facebook.

How's Paul doing, Cor?  Did you tell him we miss him around here?
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 01:10:19 AM »

Ha ha no probs Bobber.  glassesslip

Sorry if I sounded impatient, it’s just I recall various threads etc that suggested Clapton had played the solo on Let It Be and another that a Spanish guitarist had done the lead on Til There Was You. And it’s a common discussion on other internet music boards where someone has a conspiracy theory that all the decent guitar on Beatle records had to have been really done by Paul, Clapton or, in some cases, Jimmy Page. Gets a bit tiring.

Poor old George gets impugned almost as much as Ringo who, various rumours have it, had his drum parts overdubbed by Bernard Purdie, or by Paul

George never had a problem acknowledging when someone had done some great guitar on his songs, eg Paul on Taxman or Clapton on While my Guitar.  The idea he’d claim what is rated as one of the greatest rock solos when it’d been done by someone else (and would be easily found out) doesn’t really add up. And that Geoff Emerick, who was hard on George in his book, wouldn’t have used the revelation that the Something solo was secretly done by another guitarist to publicise his book. Emerick is on the record as a witness to George doing the Something solo.

George actually played the solo on till there was you live at the royal command performance in 1964. He played it with confidence.
I always felt that the solo on something was entirely George's Style.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 47 queries.