Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Classic 60's songs: The Sound Of Silence  (Read 4630 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Classic 60's songs: The Sound Of Silence
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 11:16:13 AM »

I'm confused

Personnel[edit]
Paul Simon: lead vocals, guitar
Art Garfunkel: lead vocals
Fred Carter, Jr.: guitar
Larry Knechtel: keyboards
Glen Campbell: guitar
Joe South: guitar
Joe Osborn: bass guitar
Hal Blaine: drums
Bob Johnston: producer

Sounds of Silence was recorded in December 1965 at CBS studios in Nashville, Tennessee, and Los Angeles, California. .

"The Sound of Silence" (electric overdubs) personnel:
Al Gorgoni: guitar
Vinnie Bell: guitar
Joe Mack: bass guitar[6]
Bobby Gregg: drums

"The Sound of Silence" overdubs were recorded at Columbia's "Studio A" at 799 Seventh Avenue near 52nd Street by Columbia Records staff producer Tom Wilson on June 15, 1965.[3][4]

I suppose the first lineup corresponds to the album (excluding the title track) and the second lineup corresponds to the single.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:19:48 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 01:01:44 AM »

What really confuses me is that I've seen a Hal Blaine interview where he stated that the song was kind of a bomb until he laid out a drum track to it.  I need to find it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 01:07:07 AM »

Ok, I found this from Drummerworld.  I guess you learn something new everyday.

Little story:

Hal Blaine played on a lot of records from Simon and Garfunkel.
I was listening to S&G's "The Sounds of Silence" the other day.
If you know the song, there's a fill that sounds out of place, (IMO) and another fill that's clearly rushed.

So I'm thinking, that can't be Hal.

So I researched it.

Here Artie and Paul released the song with just guitar accompaniment originally, and it kind of sputtered out when released. Months later, it started getting legs, so the producer, unbeknownst to Paul and Artie, added rhythm tracks, and re-released it. He used the guys from Bob Dylan's band at the time, minus Al Kooper (because he was too heavily identified with Dylan's sound was the reason given)

When Paul Simon first heard the new version, he was horrified at the backing tracks. But it went on to be one of the biggest songs of all time.

It was the rushed fill that made me want to know if that was Hal or not. It wasn't.

KelMar

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 03:05:20 AM »

Always liked this. I can take either the acoustic version or the rockified one. I do like when the drums kick in on the rock version but the electric guitar doesn't add overly much.

I agree about the drums, Moog. That part you mention almost makes it hard for me to say that I prefer the acoustic version better.

I heard a cute story about this song on Sirius XM yesterday. Bob, Paul and Susan Cowsill were appearing on a show, "My Favorite 45s". Their first single, "All I Really Want To Be Is Me", came out at the same time as "The Sound of Silence" and the two singles were featured in a pick the best new release contest on a radio station in their hometown of Newport, Rhode Island. They said they were so excited when they got the most votes, never taking into consideration that they had the home field advantage! They said they got dropped from their label after the song didn't chart but Simon and Garfunkel had better luck. LOL I see on a list of their singles that they went on to release a Paul Simon song, "A Most Peculiar Man" in 1967. That was right before they had their first hit "The Rain the Park & Other Things".

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »

I agree about the drums, Moog. That part you mention almost makes it hard for me to say that I prefer the acoustic version better.

I heard a cute story about this song on Sirius XM yesterday. Bob, Paul and Susan Cowsill were appearing on a show, "My Favorite 45s". Their first single, "All I Really Want To Be Is Me", came out at the same time as "The Sound of Silence" and the two singles were featured in a pick the best new release contest on a radio station in their hometown of Newport, Rhode Island. They said they were so excited when they got the most votes, never taking into consideration that they had the home field advantage! They said they got dropped from their label after the song didn't chart but Simon and Garfunkel had better luck. LOL I see on a list of their singles that they went on to release a Paul Simon song, "A Most Peculiar Man" in 1967. That was right before they had their first hit "The Rain the Park & Other Things".

That's a nice story, Kelley.

The true rival of "The Sound Of Silence" was "We Can Work It Out", as both songs alternated the #1 position during January 1966.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 07:57:50 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9z87viDmOo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9z87viDmOo</a>

Madison Square Garden   29 October 2009
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9z87viDmOo#

Madison Square Garden   29 October 2009
ALL They Need Is EACH Other

Drummers stay away  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »

ALL They Need Is EACH Other

Drummers stay away  ;D

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 57 queries.