Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Genesis Reunion  (Read 2224 times)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
Genesis Reunion
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:12:04 PM »

FROM YAHOO UK & IRELAND MUSIC:

Genesis announce their reunion tour
(Tuesday November 07, 2006 02:51 PM)

Rock band Genesis have announced plans for their reunion tour after a break of 15 years.

Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks are reforming for a series of money-spinning stadium gigs next summer.

And while other bands get back together because they need the money, Collins insisted Genesis have no such motive.

"I think we are all loaded enough not to worry about where the next million or two is coming from," the star told a press conference in London.

Collins - who has an estimated fortune of £300 million but is in the process of a costly divorce from third wife Orianne - said he had simply missed his former bandmates.

"I just felt now was the right time to have a go at it," the 55-year-old explained.

"I left the band and I did some things on my own, and the guys carried on. I used to listen to odd bits and pieces at home and I missed the camaraderie a bit.

"We all get on, we've seen each other many times since I left, and we would bring it up every time we sat down together. Sometimes we talked ourselves out of it and finally we decided this was as good a time as any to do something."

The 20-date tour will kick off in Finland on June 11 and end with a free gig in front of the Colosseum in Rome on July 14.

There will be two British dates: Twickenham Stadium in London on July 7 and Old Trafford in Manchester on July 8. A series of US dates will follow.
All You Need Is LOVE!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Genesis Reunion
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »

In May they were talking about it. With Peter Gabriel...
Here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-othermusic/m-1149078282/

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 11:27:33 PM »

This would be a most welcome re-union tour, instead of the same old tired a$$ Rolling Stones show ::)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:44:55 AM »

Without Gabriel and Hackett,,,i'm not interested.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:59:36 AM »

I never got why people liked Genesis in the first place. I mean Phil Collins' Genesis. For some reason I'm not familiar with Gabriel's Genesis. It's mostly Phil Collins I don't get. I hate him. I hate his voice, his songs, his hair. I just can't take him!! Plus I thought most of their music with him was very light rockish and dull. But what do I know.

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 04:05:17 AM »

Quote from: 216
I never got why people liked Genesis in the first place. I mean Phil Collins' Genesis. For some reason I'm not familiar with Gabriel's Genesis. It's mostly Phil Collins I don't get. I hate him. I hate his voice, his songs, his hair. I just can't take him!! Plus I thought most of their music with him was very light rockish and dull. But what do I know.

C'mon Sandra tell us how you really feel.... :D

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 04:13:15 AM »

;D

I can't help it. The man annoys me like you wouldn't believe. The only other musician that comes close to that kind of annoyance is Chrissy Hynde. When I hear either of them sing I want to slash my wrists or something. Just to end the pain.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 08:26:12 PM »

Quote from: 63
In May they were talking about it. With Peter Gabriel...
Here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-othermusic/m-1149078282/

Apparently Gabriel wants to concentrate on his new solo material.

Whatever people say about Genesis, they have made some fine records in the past. Especially in the post Gabriel period. 'And Then There Were Three' is a terrific album, full of melodic, well crafted songs. And Mama is a classic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the world's biggest Genesis fan, but I just think that - maybe because of Phil Collins - they tend to generate a bad reaction from people.

BTW, for anyone dissing Phil Collins, whether you like his music or not, he's a terrific drummer.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 09:07:40 PM »

The best 'Collins' Genesis album is And Then There Were Three... Some very nice songs on that. Good melodies. Including Follow You, Follow Me. Probably their best effort.
All You Need Is LOVE!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 10:55:21 PM »

Quote from: 216
;D

I can't help it. The man annoys me like you wouldn't believe. The only other musician that comes close to that kind of annoyance is Chrissy Hynde. When I hear either of them sing I want to slash my wrists or something. Just to end the pain.

The two Oasis guys like knocking Phil Collins.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 11:00:39 PM »

Quote from: 139

The two Oasis guys like knocking Phil Collins.

The Gallaghers like to knock everyone.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 12:51:18 AM »

A Trick Of The Tail is easily Genesis's best album without Gabriel. I always thought 'And Then There Were Three' was one of their least favorites for me. Oh well, nothing compares to Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway anyways.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 11:37:40 AM »

When Yes reunite it doesn't make the news. But Genesis do. Less commercial, and that's why. Isn't Yes a better band?
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 12:26:24 PM »

Quote from: 139
When Yes reunite it doesn't make the news. But Genesis do. Less commercial, and that's why. Isn't Yes a better band?

Aren't Yes now regarded as a bit silly? All about the record covers and hippy psychobabble? Prog at its worst? They certainly don't occupy a position in British rocklore like Genesis do. I think most people, even musicheads, would struggle to name a memorable Yes song. They didn't have the tunes.
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 01:56:10 PM »

Quote from: 185

Aren't Yes now regarded as a bit silly? All about the record covers and hippy psychobabble? Prog at its worst? They certainly don't occupy a position in British rocklore like Genesis do. I think most people, even musicheads, would struggle to name a memorable Yes song. They didn't have the tunes.

You are largely right. You can thank Anderson for the lyrical self-satisfaction. He doesn't even 'tweak' his words to make them more meaningful. But still he says live that there is something, not sure what it is, all around us, it must be love. Or words to that effect. He wants to say something spiritual, but can't even make it concise except for a handful of songs.

But Wondrous Stories is memorable and was a top ten hit in the UK. And Owner Of A Lonely Heart is very memorable. Far better musicians than Genesis also. Wakeman and Howe are top musicians. White and Bruford are top drummers. Rabin is a good guitarist. Some of Yes's albums have fantastic production.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 07:54:44 PM »

Yes are far more talented musicians. Bruford is one of the greats. Chris Squire is a fantastic bass player. They suffer more through being classed as outdated. Too many 20 minute songs filled with Andersons 'spiritual' lyrics. But fabulous musicianship. Fragile is one of my favourite albums still. And nothing longer than 9 minutes!!!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 10:36:49 AM »

Quote from: 483

Yes are far more talented musicians. Bruford is one of the greats. Chris Squire is a fantastic bass player. They suffer more through being classed as outdated. Too many 20 minute songs filled with Andersons 'spiritual' lyrics. But fabulous musicianship. Fragile is one of my favourite albums still. And nothing longer than 9 minutes!!!

Hello Bluemeanie. You're undoubtedly right about the superior musicianship thing, but that's one of the problems I have with prog. So often its all about how well they can play their instruments and they forgot about needing good tunes.
don't follow leaders

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 05:49:53 PM »

Hello Bluemeanie. You're undoubtedly right about the superior musicianship thing, but that's one of the problems I have with prog. So often its all about how well they can play their instruments and they forgot about needing good tunes.

I'm with you on that point.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 08:01:34 AM »

You're right on that score. My favourite prog has always been when thay play the shorter numbers.

Hence, favourite Yes album: Fragile
Least favourite Yes album: Tales From Topographic Oceans

Or Tales of Toby's GoCart, as Rick Wakeman called it.

Wayne L.

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 01:05:36 PM »

I think Genesis is one of the great legendary rock bands & Phil Collins is a great drummer & vocalist, which goes without saying.  I don't care one way or the other about this reunion for some reason even though it will be a huge sellout.  
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 79 queries.