Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best British Invasion band next to the Beatles?  (Read 3538 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Best British Invasion band next to the Beatles?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »

Quote from: 1997
The Zombies' Odessey And Oracle is my favourite non-Beatles album. "Care Of Cell 44", "A Rose For Emily", "Brief Candles", "Hung Up On A Dream", "I Want Her She Wants Me", "Butcher's Tale" and, of course, "Time Of The Season", all great songs. Awesome harmonies, hypnotic keyboards, melodic bass lines...

There truly is not a bad song on 'Odessey And Oracle'. Its one of my top 5 albums of all time. 'RIP' is great too. I recommend everybody checking it out.

'SF Sorrow' from the Pretty Things is my favorite album of all time. I was on the fence about getting it and BlueMeanie from this site told me he liked it better than 'Sgt. Peppers'. That was good enough for me so I bought it and it floored me. I've been collecting their stuff ever since. I swear that band reinvents itself with every album. So far I have -

'Get The Picture' - good early 60's rock, but it doesnt knock my socks off
'Emotions' - I really like it even though the studio threw the corny horns and strings in randomly.
'SF Sorrow' - Masterpiece
'Parachute' - good album but I was expecting more from it. Was hoping for another 'Sorrow' but its not.
'Freeway Madness' - A real rocker. Its good but I could have done without the 4 or 5 live cuts at the end
'Silk Torpedo' - Dwelved into the glam rock scene. Probably my second favorite so far. Good stuff.
'Crosstalk' - A typical 80's album. Tight and clean. I like it a lot.

I've been seeing the Philippe DeBarge album a good bit lately and thats probably the next one i'll be picking up.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 02:10:47 PM »

Quote from: 373

There truly is not a bad song on 'Odessey And Oracle'. Its one of my top 5 albums of all time. 'RIP' is great too. I recommend everybody checking it out.

I think "Changes" may be the weakest track on that record, but it's not bad anyway.

'SF Sorrow' from the Pretty Things is my favorite album of all time. I was on the fence about getting it and BlueMeanie from this site told me he liked it better than 'Sgt. Peppers'. That was good enough for me so I bought it and it floored me.

I can't really see the greatness of SF Sorrow. In my opinion, Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit is a better obscure psychedelic album.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »

Best British invasion of that time? I think it all depends on the country or the part of the world. For me it is indisputably The Rolling Stones. I know it was The Stones all over the place in Russia. There were two camps "fighting" each other, The Bealtes` fans and The Stones` fans. Then came The Who and the next place was taken by The Animals.
Unfortunately such bands as The Kinks and The Zombies as well as The Hollies were and are unknown here, enjoyed only by experts and a circle of fans.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »

In Argentina the Stones seem to be more popular than the Beatles, at least among people of my generation. Maybe that's because the Stones came twice here.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 10:38:35 PM »

I can't really see the greatness of SF Sorrow. In my opinion, Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit is a better obscure psychedelic album.

Eh, I love Spirit too and 'Twelve Dreams' is awesome, but something about 'Sorrow' hit me. I'd tell you to give it another spin, but you may have done it as many times as you wanted to. 'Ballon Burning; is a bit long, but I cant see any weakness besides that. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »

Eh, I love Spirit too and 'Twelve Dreams' is awesome, but something about 'Sorrow' hit me. I'd tell you to give it another spin, but you may have done it as many times as you wanted to. 'Ballon Burning; is a bit long, but I cant see any weakness besides that. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I admit that I didn't force myself to listen to that album more than a couple of times, but I can tell it's not my cup of tea. Anyway, I can see why some people loves it, it's quite weird and experimental. But you're right, when it's about music the fan of tastes is very big.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »

In Argentina the Stones seem to be more popular than the Beatles, at least among people of my generation. Maybe that's because the Stones came twice here.

You mean The Stones are more popular in Argentina now? What about the mid 60s?
And why didn`t you mention Pink Floyd in your poll? I believe their invasion occurred right at that time, the mid 60s, didn`t it? And besides they are greater than some of the bands in the poll. Maybe I am wrong?

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 01:07:14 PM »

Quote from: 1393
You mean The Stones are more popular in Argentina now? What about the mid 60s?

Yes, I mean now. I guess that during the 60's the Beatles were more popular.

Quote from: 1393
And why didn`t you mention Pink Floyd in your poll? I believe their invasion occurred right at that time, the mid 60s, didn`t it? And besides they are greater than some of the bands in the poll. Maybe I am wrong?

Pink Floyd is not considered as part of the British Invasion because they started in 1967. I understand that the Invasion is a phenomenon that took place in 1964-1965, since the Beatles opened the door to a lot of British bands. That's why Cream is not in the list too, because they started in 1966 when the Invasion was not a novelty anymore.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 50 queries.