Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 3682 times)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 04:57:40 AM »

Quote from: 666
But is Snape worth it??
Shot at 2007-07-22

Quote from: 610
K_E's gonna like this one a lot! Good one, legthi! (thumbsup)

AWWWWWWW..... SNAPIE!!!!!!!!! (heart1) (heart1) (heart1)I do like it! Is he worth it... no coz he's priceless. No, I'm not that far gone. I'll add it to the same folder with the vid of snape singing "I'm too sexy"!

Cheers, leghti, thanks a bunch man! :D

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 08:32:16 AM »

Quote from: 779
So that Rowling gal invented the whole Wizards and magic premise that the series is based on?

The movies are full of a bunch of snobby little posh kids and washed up old actos who are only in it for he money and because there grand kids want to see them in it. It certainly don't tickle my fancy.

Surely the fact that she didn't invent wizards and magic shouldn't distract from the books. She put a twist on it and people love it.
It's not like The Beatles invented rock and roll in 1963. They took a tried and true formula and put their twist on it. Sold millions, kids queued for hours, they made movies and cartoons, academics weighed the pro's and cons , they ushered in manipulative merchandising, some folk were snooty and disdainful,  people accused them of being all hype, they reinvigorated a stagnant industry.....(you see where I'm going with this?)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »

So that Rowling gal invented the whole Wizards and magic premise that the series is based on?

I don't remember her ever saying that, or indeed, anyone claiming it on her behalf. So it's not totally original, so what. Her books clearly hit the spot with children and adults alike.

The movies are full of a bunch of snobby little posh kids and washed up old actos who are only in it for he money and because there grand kids want to see them in it. It certainly don't tickle my fancy.

I wouldn't call Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Julie Walters, and Alan Rickman washed up!!

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 09:13:07 AM »

I haven't seen or read any of the Harry Potters but I do admit to liking Emma Watson (Hermione) quite a bit ;D

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 03:14:49 PM »

I bought the last Book in Asda for five pound ,havent read any of the books before and as im going on holiday i thought it might make a good  light read .
Ive seen a couple of the films which i quite enjoyed  would'nt say im a fan , But i agree anything that gets kids reading is ok in my book .
Agree BlueMeanie the great Maggie Smith an't washed up she's brilliant , i love her in Gosford Park and Evil Under The Sun and she's funny in one of the Potter films ive seen ,where she's giving them dancing lessons .
The women's a living legend  :)

DaveRam :)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 06:28:43 PM »

Don't judge the books just based on the movies. That's just silly. Most fans would agree that the first two movies, while faithful to the books, were watered down for a younger audience. The last three movies were more mature, but left out many key plot points due to the length of the books. Anyway, you can't convey onscreen the way Rowling writes, which is really what makes the books so great,
I am a proud Harry Potter fan. I travelled three hours on Friday just to attend a midnight book release. You have to understand that I am an avid reader, and a speed reader too. It's rare that any piece of literature invokes this kind of devotion in me.
Millions of children and adults don't line up at midnight for books that are just 'average'. Fantasy is not a new genre, and nor did Rowling claim that is was. However, she has created an entire world in the books, one that is completely different from Lord of the Rings, Narnia, or any of the other popular fantasy series. Her ability to create a protagonist who has faults but yet is so relatable is amazing, and  every one of her characters is so multi-faceted. I cried three times while reading book 7, and I NEVER cry at books. In fact, my favorite character dies in the book and I was sobbing uncontrollably for at least an hour. I had to put the book down and finish it the next day. It certainly says something for J.K. Rowling's writing that she can instill such devotion to a fictional character.

I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 06:38:11 PM »

It's wizards and kids sh*t. Anyone over 20 should read Charles Dickens or Shakespeare or something that ain't written for kids. But if you like it you like it and that is good for you, I read the first one found it utterly dull and formulatic and it don't warrant me reading anymore or going to watch the films with those snotty nosed kids.

End of my point.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 06:43:58 PM »

It's wizards and kids sh*t. Anyone over 20 should read Charles Dickens or Shakespeare or something that ain't written for kids. But if you like it you like it and that is good for you, I read the first one found it utterly dull and formulatic and it don't warrant me reading anymore or going to watch the films with those snotty nosed kids.

End of my point.

And so eloquently put.

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 06:45:25 PM »

Quote from: 483

And so eloquently put.

Thankyou.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »

I read Dickens and Shakespeare too. In fact I was reading their works before I started the HP series. Have you forgotten that Shakespeare featured elements of wizards and witchcraft prominently in his works? MacBeth, The Tempest, for instance.
You wouldn't think the books were formulaic if you read the third book, but I'm not going to tell you to read books you don't like because I really hate it when people do it to me. It just annoys me when people dismiss books just because they don't like them. I've never been a fan of Hemingway, but I have to admit he is a very good authour.
Furthermore, just because the series revolves around children (they are adults by the end of the series, btw), doesn't mean it is strictly FOR children. Look at Little Women, Oliver Twist, or Huckleberry Finn and tell me those books are strictly for children.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »

are all 16 posts of yours just in this thread bashing harry potter?
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 10:11:04 PM »

I enjoy a good bit o' Potter reading. But in my own good time for example I am reading the latest book and I have read the ones before it but I am only on Chapter 5 and will continue to read the rest in my own good time. (I wasn't outside WHSmiths at 1 in the morning with a pair of round spectacles and a scar drawn foolishly on my forehead) And I think J K Rowling deserves merit at least for the fact that she has managed to write in a way which appeals to people of all ages. That's a pretty incredible and admirable thing. And the plots aint half bad either  :)

Having said this, I am aware that Harry Potter is perhaps overrated- or perhaps gets too much hype. But this doesn't alter the fact that J K Rowling has succeeded in creating a unique and complex set of books which appeal to millions of people- including very respectable, intelligent and mature people.

'nuff sed innit mayte  :)
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Michelle Revolution

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 10:15:42 PM »

Great for children but weird when people over 20 buy the adult version which is the same but with a more mature dust-jacket.
[face=sans-serif][size=25]My MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/michellerevolution[/face][/size]

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 11:53:33 PM »

I'm more of an Oscar Wilde man myself! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 01:02:58 AM »

Quote from: 553
And I think J K Rowling deserves merit at least for the fact that she has managed to write in a way which appeals to people of all ages. That's a pretty incredible and admirable thing. And the plots aint half bad either  :)

Absolutely agree - I think age is no barrier for enjoying the books. Kiddies read them, my friends and I (uni-age) read them, and my parents (having read a lot of classics) read them too!  :)
Of course, people (regardless of age-group) have different tastes in books... but that makes the world more interesting, doesn't it?  ;)

Quote from: 553
Having said this, I am aware that Harry Potter is perhaps overrated- or perhaps gets too much hype. But this doesn't alter the fact that J K Rowling has succeeded in creating a unique and complex set of books which appeal to millions of people- including very respectable, intelligent and mature people.

'nuff sed innit mayte  :)

And well "sed" too!  (thumbsup)

I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »

End of my point.

Nice joke. You've got quite a character going there.
Obviously this diet of Dickens and Shakespeare has instilled in you a love of the english language and a keen wit.
And while we're at it shouldn't we abandon crass mass produced formuliac popular music for Beethoven and Mozart?
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 02:20:15 PM »

Quote from: 668
Oh...don't get me wrong...I think it is ridiculous to stand outside for hours...for a book...and dress up...that's unhealthy...

Y'know, I feel like I have to defend myself and my friends here.

Have you ever waited in line for a movie, or a CD on the day it was released? Did you ever dress up for Halloween or a costume party? Midnight release parties are really no different. It's just a fun way to celebrate a literary phenomenon that's ten years in the making and be part of history. For many of us, getting the book as early as possible is important because we want to be able to read it before someone spoils it on us.
I'll admit it's geeky to dress up as a character (I did) or make/listen to Wizard Rock (I do). But geeky and unhealthy are two different things.
Some people can't understand why a book would inspire such devotion, but personally I feel that Harry Potter is as close as this generation is going to get to Beatlemania.

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 04:28:57 PM »

A good storey what ever age you are is still a good storey , one of the books i read in childhood and loved " The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe " ive re-read a few times as an adult and i still love it  :)
To say it's weird for adults to read the Potter books is daft , it's like saying you should'nt play with your kids because it's not adult .
Why are some people getting uptight about this , Jk Rowling is'nt she's laughing all the way to the bank ,wish i'd come up with this idea :)
PS Ive Sarted reading the last book i bought and ive not read any of the others , but my opinion is that she's not a particular good writer thus far , C.S lewis is much better in my opinion  :)

DaveRam :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 04:38:29 PM »

I think with JK the issue of her being a good writer or original is a moot point. The fact is that she has created an incredible phenomena that has created massive sales, hysteria and publicity completed unseen before in the publishing world. The world of books will never be quite the same again. She's The Beatles of Literary Land.
Like you Dave I don't understand the sniffyness either. I can't abide cultural snobbery.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 05:05:16 PM »

Quote from: 723
Great for children but weird when people over 20 buy the adult version which is the same but with a more mature dust-jacket.

I can think of any other excuse other than they're a darn good read. Good on her for creating something that crosses genres. Books that kids and their parents can share should be something we welcome  rather than sneer at surely. (not that you were sneering personally.)
don't follow leaders
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.512 seconds with 90 queries.