Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: This is a beautiful song and video  (Read 2543 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
This is a beautiful song and video
« on: September 15, 2018, 02:45:11 PM »

Of John's unfinished works, I've always thought this was one of the most beautiful.

The video was done very well, too.  I am absolutely mesmerized by the images of John.  God, there was something about him - something amazing and spellbinding.  Think Beatlemania to help put this in perspective.  There's something so special and important about just seeing him!  Does anyone agree with me?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na45UHgKNoY&amp;list=RDV32HAW4rDa0&amp;index=5" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na45UHgKNoY&amp;list=RDV32HAW4rDa0&amp;index=5</a>
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: This is a beautiful song and video
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »

Always liked that song.  Love John's 'Milk And Honey' output.

Strawberry Fields

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 10:43:17 PM »

There will never be another John Winston Ono-Lennon.  I miss his being in the world to this very day.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »

There will never be another John Winston Ono-Lennon.  I miss his being in the world to this very day.

I agree.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:22:02 PM »

^^^^^

I agree, too, and I've noticed that the press never mentions his killer's name, which gives me a measure of satisfaction.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 01:08:34 AM »

I'll always miss John.  I don't understand how death can completely annihilate a person.  I'll never understand that.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:04:39 PM »

.  There's something so special and important about just seeing him!  Does anyone agree with me?

Yes I agree with you, but were fans arent we, some people feel the same about Elvis or David Bowie, its called hero worship.
Ive always been a big fan of Johns ever since I was a kid in 1963, his songs were always sublime to me, especially when he was writing things like Strawberry Fields and Lucy.
I always feel split about my feelings for him though, I mean he was very mean to his family, deserting his little boy and moving to a different country just like Alf did to him. Being the father of two sons its hard for me to reconcile how a man could do that.
Apparently (according to Julian) even when Julian was older and could visit his Dad, John was pretty mean to him.
As a result Julian has stated he has no respect for John as a person or a Father.
Also when I read interviews or Beatle Books there are a lot of people who John has been mean towards, not just Paul or George Martin but I found his condemnation of Pete Best in later years a bit shocking, no need to stick the boot in and call the guy publicly a lousy drummer. I could never imagine Paul doing that.
I also found his on stage mocking of disabled people hardto swallow.
John to me was an enigma, a man who stood for peace and sang All You Need Is Love and yet didnt apply those principles to his own life or those who loved him.
I will however, always love his songs.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6eV7ZsghCs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6eV7ZsghCs</a>
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:45:55 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 01:21:46 AM »

^^^
Wow, Kev; you expressed my feelings about John exactly. I think he was a very damaged soul who wanted to be better but didn’t know how. I get the feeling that he was starting to figure it out, though. I wish he could have seen it through.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »

Lovely song

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 11:33:00 PM »

nimrod:

You’re right.  We are fans.  Non-fans probably don’t feel in awe of John as we do.

I liked John from the early days, especially his lead vocal for “A Hard Day’s Night,” and “You can’t do that.”

I always preferred John’s “If I fell” over Paul’s “And I love her.”  Also, “You’re gonna lose that girl” over Paul’s “Another Girl.”

And yes, “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” and “Strawberry Fields.”  I will have to admit that I wasn’t that fond of “Strawberry Fields” when it came out but it grew on me and I love it to this day.

I loved “Norwegian Wood” and “Across the Universe.”  I could go on but these songs stand out for me.

But – John was mean and did and said mean things to others.  Consider his treatment of his wife, Cynthia, and even his derisive words toward Paul, the guy he partnered with to create the Famous Beatles.  Not only that, but he owed a lot to Paul who, I understand, introduced him to songwriting.  Could Paul have known that he may have brought out the latent genius in John?  If Paul hadn’t done that, would it ever have happened?

I didn’t like the negative comment about Pete either.  But, I also didn’t like Ringo’s complete lack of empathy for Pete.  Ringo was the luckiest man in the world.  He came along at exactly the right place and time.  Without the Beatles, he would never have been known by anyone other than the local population who would have followed any particular band he was in.  But, probably none of those bands would ever have hit the big time.

I don’t know.  John’s songs make him sound like some great awesome deep thinker with an all abiding concern for humanity, especially the poor, oppressed and alienated.  Yet his personal life was fraught with the opposite of love and kindness.  Or am I really just plain wrong?

I guess it’s the songs that matter if the man doesn’t.

But his memory matters to me.

Thanks for your comments, nimrod.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 12:56:59 AM »

nimrod:

You’re right.  We are fans.  Non-fans probably don’t feel in awe of John as we do.

I liked John from the early days, especially his lead vocal for “A Hard Day’s Night,” and “You can’t do that.”

I always preferred John’s “If I fell” over Paul’s “And I love her.”  Also, “You’re gonna lose that girl” over Paul’s “Another Girl.”

And yes, “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” and “Strawberry Fields.”  I will have to admit that I wasn’t that fond of “Strawberry Fields” when it came out but it grew on me and I love it to this day.

I loved “Norwegian Wood” and “Across the Universe.”  I could go on but these songs stand out for me.

I dont think theres a JL song during the Beatles time (Besides The Ballad Of John & Yoko) that I dont love, musically Im a John Lennon nut.

I didn’t like the negative comment about Pete either.  But, I also didn’t like Ringo’s complete lack of empathy for Pete.  Ringo was the luckiest man in the world.  He came along at exactly the right place and time.  Without the Beatles, he would never have been known by anyone other than the local population who would have followed any particular band he was in.  But, probably none of those bands would ever have hit the big time.

Yes I agree also about Ringo and his lack of empathy. Look we all know that Pete wasnt the greatest drummer and maybe they HAD to change him, but I always sympathise greatly with Pete, imagine going through what he did from 63 till they split, I believe he attempted suicide and suffered depression, I dont think any of us can begin to imagine what it would feel like in his shoes, to watch his ex-mates become the worlds biggest band with Ringo on drums would be excruciating, like a form of mental torture.
Maybe John in 1974 in that interview couldve said some kind things to about Pete, after all without Pete and his drumkit maybe they wouldve never got to Hamburg or had those bookings at Petes Mothers club, surely the guy deserved some respect ?

I don’t know.  John’s songs make him sound like some great awesome deep thinker with an all abiding concern for humanity, especially the poor, oppressed and alienated.  Yet his personal life was fraught with the opposite of love and kindness.  Or am I really just plain wrong?

No, your not wrong, John was a genius, but in many ways he was a fraud, he didnt practise what he preached, Ive read things where he was really horrible to people (fans) and of course he was horrible and allegedly violent at times to both his wives. His biggest crime for me though was his treatment of Julian. Moving countries means your not too bothered about being near your 4 year old son, who is innocent, a child that needed his Father. The video I posted of Julians interview displays the hurt that he feels within and always will.

I guess it’s the songs that matter if the man doesn’t.

But his memory matters to me.

Thanks for your comments, nimrod.

Like Julian if not a fan of the man, I am a fan of his music, I was always more of a fan of John than Paul (like you) I mean I love Pauls Beatle music, it is magnificent and The Beatles wouldve been nowhere without him. John just had an X factor for me.
I wish John had lived like Paul and had Pauls work ethic, Paul was and is and excellent Father and husband to Linda, Paul has also never forgotten his roots and (unlike the others) done much for the City he grew up in, a City that he visits regularly I believe.

Sorry for going off at a tangent in your thread, Im not sure why that was, maybe a question you posed in your OP ?
No need to thank me Loco, Im glad to see you posting mate, the forum is all the richer with you on it.

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »

^^^
Wow, Kev; you expressed my feelings about John exactly. I think he was a very damaged soul who wanted to be better but didn’t know how. I get the feeling that he was starting to figure it out, though. I wish he could have seen it through.

You pretty much accurately summed up my feelings about him, too, Kevin, and LocoMo, and Kelley, I agree that he was a "damaged soul." My goodness, look what he went through as a child, with having Alf and Julia force him (at age 4? 6?) to choose between them. What kind of a parent does that? (Not to mention his mother's untimely death, etc.)

His meanness to Julian has always tempered a bit my affection for John. I believe it was in Cynthia's book John she recounted how he once mocked Julian's laugh, and to this day Julian is reluctant to laugh out loud. That saddens me.

What saddens me most is that, as Kelley said, John seemed to finally be figuring things out and getting more grounded when he was senselessly gunned down at such a young age.  :'(

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 64 queries.