Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Johns Worst album  (Read 5435 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Johns Worst album
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2007, 11:29:15 AM »

I watched the Imagine film last night (part of Beatles week on Danish telly), and I have to say, although good it's hardly the masterpiece that everyone seems to think I like it more than STINYC, but I don't think it's that much better. I find STINYC very underrated. It's worth another listen.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Wayne L.

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »

I'm going to say Walls & Bridges is John's worst album, because it's mediocre for the most part & his creativity is taking a nose dive with only a few good tracks.  

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2007, 11:52:32 PM »

I don't have SNINYC or Double Fantasy, but always thought about the former as his worst album, and the latter as his best after Plastic Ono Band and Imagine. It's incredible that many consider it as his worst album. How can made a piece of crap of his first album in 5 years!!? He wouldn't make something better? C'mon! I never heard the album, but I think it has to be great, the 3 singles (and Beautiful Boy) are really good songs.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 08:13:26 AM »

Quote from: 713
I don't have SNINYC or Double Fantasy, but always thought about the former as his worst album, and the latter as his best after Plastic Ono Band and Imagine. It's incredible that many consider it as his worst album. How can made a piece of crap of his first album in 5 years!!? He wouldn't make something better? C'mon! I never heard the album, but I think it has to be great, the 3 singles (and Beautiful Boy) are really good songs.

How can you comment on an album that you haven't heard? You must be one of the 'Lennon Is God' brigade - 'It can't possibly be bad, it's John Lennon'!!! Have you even heard STINTC? Or are you basing your opinions on rumour?

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 01:49:32 AM »

Please Blue Meanie, don't misunderstand me! As I said, it's hard to believe that Double Fantasy is his worst album EVER considering this tips:
1) it was largely written and recorded. His first studio album of original material in 6 years, in a new phase of his life, with a child growing, an established marriage, a father & husband life, not a celebrity life.
2) it received a Grammy for Album of the Year, the only time he received that award (I know the murderer was decisive, but anyway can't possible be so bad anyway)
3) as I said the 3 singles released from the album are fantastic songs, also I know Beautiful Boy and Oh Yoko and I think those are great songs
4) and I'm talking thinking of the proffesional reviews I've read

I did not listen any of both albums, I'm just giving my opinion since what I've read basically.

And I'm telling you that I'm not one of the 'Lennon is God' brigade (brigade!, that's funny). To me, Lennon is not God, but McCartney has been doin' it all so well in the past 50 years that he's really going to deserve that credit.

And, as always, sorry my english guys!
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Bobber

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2007, 08:11:23 AM »

Still, it is a shame that half of Double Fantasy was filled by Mrs Lennon. Her absence would have improved the album a lot. And I really dislike Starting Over, but that's obviously a matter of taste.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2007, 09:00:21 AM »

Quote from: 713
And, as always, sorry my english guys!

You're English is fine.

Let us know what you think when you've listened to them. Personally I can't stand Starting Over, or Woman. They're too fm radio friendly for my liking. As for Beautiful Boy, am I the only one that's gets tired of listening to Lennon sing songs about the wife and kids? He'd walked out on Julian, leaving him practically nothing, and then we're meant to swoon over him singing about Sean?!! I don't think so.

Bobber

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 09:16:40 AM »

Quote from: 483

As for Beautiful Boy, am I the only one that's gets tired of listening to Lennon sing songs about the wife and kids? He'd walked out on Julian, leaving him practically nothing, and then we're meant to swoon over him singing about Sean?!! I don't think so.

I get your point. Still I like it better than Yoko's song about Beautiful Boys. It makes me turn the cd-player off.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2007, 10:23:36 AM »

Quote from: 483

You're English is fine.

Let us know what you think when you've listened to them. Personally I can't stand Starting Over, or Woman. They're too fm radio friendly for my liking. As for Beautiful Boy, am I the only one that's gets tired of listening to Lennon sing songs about the wife and kids? He'd walked out on Julian, leaving him practically nothing, and then we're meant to swoon over him singing about Sean?!! I don't think so.

No you're not. And it's a rubbish song anyway. Don't Lennonites ever accuse Macca of producing overly sentimental mush.
I have a little fantasy of Lennon usuing Talking Heads as his band. Then we might have had an album.
I sat by my radio waiting to hear Starting Over for the first time - what a crushing dissapointment. Boring, bland. But the retro trick worked - the DJ said "it's an oldie but a golgie." Knobhead.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2007, 10:41:19 AM »

I guess in fairness to John he was in New York with a NY crew. British and american music had undergone a big split after punk in 1976. Sounds that were hip in NYC were definately not hip in London and Manchester. Probably in 1980, as far as as British audiences were concerned, a nicely produced album about your family made with the wife was as bad a move as the man could make.
And at 40 he was probably a bit old to be connecting with the underground. Even the much vaunted missed oppotunity of recording with Cheap Trick would have meet with sneers and raised eyebrows in the UK.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »

Quote from: 185
I guess in fairness to John he was in New York with a NY crew. British and american music had undergone a big split after punk in 1976. Sounds that were hip in NYC were definately not hip in London and Manchester. Probably in 1980, as far as as British audiences were concerned, a nicely produced album about your family made with the wife was as bad a move as the man could make.
And at 40 he was probably a bit old to be connecting with the underground. Even the much vaunted missed oppotunity of recording with Cheap Trick would have meet with sneers and raised eyebrows in the UK.

But NY was not cut off the rest of the world, was it? I mean, there were some things going on in NY as well around that time. But it didn't inspire John nor did he feel or see a connection.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2007, 10:51:17 AM »

He must have known what was going on. I remember him saying how he believed Yoko had inspired many of the new wave female artists. So he must have had his ear to the ground a bit.
Maybe at 40 he was just too old to take the new music on board.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2007, 11:06:12 AM »

I can see the influence of Yoko on Bjork, Lene Lovich and Mariah Carey.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2007, 11:12:41 AM »

He had access to Patti Smith, Television, NY Dolls, Talking Heads, The Ramones.....and he decides to sound like Cliff Richard.
But I'm being unkind - Macca did try to embrace the new sound on Back to the Egg. Not my favourite.
don't follow leaders

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »

OK. This question is stupid at this point but... Yoko sang a half of the album? I know she wrote the songs  ::) but she also sings!? That's horrible.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »

Yes. But that doesn't let John off the hook. His half isn't that hot either.  
don't follow leaders
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 68 queries.