News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1'  (Read 4233 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: 1'
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 03:34:26 PM »

^ Well, obviously you UK people do not have any respect for your own artists. ;) According to Allmusic.com, here are the top Billboard singles hits for solo Beatles through the 80s:

John #1:
70s-
Whatever Gets You Thru the Night
80s-
Starting Over

John top 10:
70s-
Happy Xmas
Imagine
Instant Karma
#9 Dream
80s-
Woman
Nobody Told Me
Watching the Wheels

Top 20:
Power To the People - 11
Jealous Guy - 12
Give Peace a Chance - 14
Mind Games
Stand By Me

George #1:
70s-
Give Me Love
Isn't It a Pity
My Sweet Lord
80s-
All Those Years Ago
Got My Mind Set on You

George top 10:
70s-
Blow Away
What Is Life
80s-
All Those Years Ago
When We Was Fab
Devil's Radio
Cheer Down
Cloud 9

Top 20:
Dark Horse - 15
This Is Love
Crackerbox Palace
You

Ringo #1:
70s-
Only You
Photograph
You're Sixteen

Ringo top 10:
70s-
No No Song
Snookeroo
It Don't Come Easy
Oh My My
Back Off Boogaloo

Paul #1:
70s-
Band On the Run
Let 'Em In
Listen to What the Man Said
My Love
Silly Love Songs
Uncle Albert
With a Little Luck
80s-
Coming Up (Live at Glasgow)
Ebony and Ivory
Say Say Say

Paul top 10:
70s-
Another Day
Goodnight Tonight
Helen Wheels
Hi, Hi, Hi
Live and Let Die
Jet
JUnior's Farm
Maybe I'm Amazed
Sally G
Spies Like Us
80s-
Figure of Eight
My Brave Face
No More Lonely Nights
Only Love Remains
Ou Est le Soleil
The Girl Is Mine
So Bad
Take It Away

Paul top 20:
Put It There - 11
Venus and Mars Rock Show - 12
Ever Present Past
Your Loving Flame
Getting Closer

If the idea is to construct an album of only proper #1s, we could easily do it.
If the idea is to construct an album of absolutely super songs that anyone would drool over, we can do that, too, particularly if we extend the list into the top 10. (One of those "fake" #1 albums that is so trendy these days). ;)

Quote from: 761
It could happen, but would Apple have the rights on all of the solo work?
This is probably the reason this has never been done. I'm sure the label responsible for publishing each song would have to be contacted independently.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »

Wow, you've done well research HariHead! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 04:08:08 PM »

Yeah, good work! But be careful with that info. Because 'All Those Years Go' wasn't a #1 hit (it was #2 in the Billboard Hot 100, maybe just #1 in the AC chart), the same happens with 'Only You' and 'Let 'Em In'.  :)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 04:53:22 PM »

Thank you, but I don't deserve any kudos for research. I just went to one website and looked at what their list was. I don't pretend to understand what all the different lists are. It was just that BlueMeanie's remark led me to realize how different a Beatles solo top hits list would look like, depending on what you used as your source.

Also, I was thinking about the remark about how any top 10 hit today would sell as many records as a #1 in earlier decades. There's so much more diversity today, that top 10 is a pretty awesome achievement.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 02:33:16 PM »

I just noticed this: on the week 14th January 1984, Paul reached #1 in the UK with Pipes Of Peace (his only #1 hit as a solo artist) and, also that week was his 6th and final week at #1 in the US with Say Say Say. A notable record: he was the one (or one of the few artists) standing at #1 in the UK and the US simultaneously but with two different singles. Rare, isn't it?

Did any other artist achieve the same feat?  :P
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 02:58:09 PM »

Quote from: 713
I just noticed this: on the week 14th January 1984, Paul reached #1 in the UK with Pipes Of Peace (his only #1 hit as a solo artist)

According to my Guiness Book of Hit Singles (1987 Ed) Paul also had a #1 with "With A Little Luck"

Like the album idea.
don't follow leaders

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 03:59:06 PM »

Quote from: 185

According to my Guiness Book of Hit Singles (1987 Ed) Paul also had a #1 with "With A Little Luck"

Like the album idea.

Sorry, I don't understand. 'With A Little Luck" wasn't #1 in the UK, I think it was #5 or something.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »

Sorry, I don't understand. 'With A Little Luck" wasn't #1 in the UK, I think it was #5 or something.

so it was no 1 in the US?

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 08:32:02 PM »

Yes, it was #1 for 2 weeks starting May 20, 1978! A great achievement considering it was in the middle of the Saturday Night Fever success, and the Bee Gees were replacing themselves at #1.

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »

Well.. Does anybody know about this 'record' that Paul has with 'Say Say Say' and 'Pipes of Peace' at #1 at the same in two different countries?  :-/

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 07:15:17 AM »

I remember hearing a few years ago that Nelly Furtado was at #1 in the UK and US with two different singles ("Maneater" in the UK and "Promiscuous" in the US), and that she was the first artist since Usher to accomplish that feat (with "Burn" and "Confessions Part II").  I tried to research this and confirm it, but it's hard to match up dates because Billboard's Hot 100 publication date is very conflicting with its actual release date, and I'm not sure if the UK charts has a similar situation.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »

Hi, all.
I suppose I'm not the only one who thought about this. What about a collection of the UK/US #1 single that John, Paul, George & Ringo achieved in their solo careers? I guess that would be a nice collection. And there were so many 'Fantasy Albums' invented round here, that this would be another good choice. This would be the tracklisting:

1) MY SWEET LORD
2) UNCLE ALBERT / ADMIRAL HALSEY
3) IMAGINE
4) GIVE ME LOVE (GIVE ME PEACE ON EARTH)
5) MY LOVE
6) PHOTOGRAPH
7) YOU'RE SIXTEEN
8 ) BAND ON THE RUN
9) WHATEVER GETS YOU THRU THE NIGHT
10) LISTEN TO WHAT THE MAN SAID
11) SILLY LOVE SONGS
12) MULL OF KINTYRE
13) WITH A LITTLE LUCK
14) COMING UP (LIVE)
15) (JUST LIKE) STARTING OVER
16) WOMAN
17) EBONY AND IVORY
18 ) SAY SAY SAY
19) PIPES OF PEACE
20) GOT MY MIND SET ON YOU
21) FERRY 'CROSS THE MERSEY

Nice collection, isn't it? I know there's too much Paul, and that George appears only at the beginning and at the end of the album, and that the only 2 Ringo songs here are stuck together, and that the crappy Paul duets are here, but at least we have the really rare Ferry 'Cross the Mercy from 1989.

Let's call it [size=18]1'[/size]!

This is a great list... I have burned a similar list to CD, and listen to it with the original "1" as a double CD. They should release this!!!

Two small things though... Imagine didn't hit #1 in either the US or UK until it was re-released years later after Lennon's death, and i don't really consider Ferry Cross the Mersey a solo Paul song.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 60 queries.