Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: only 1 in 5 americans own a passport!!  (Read 2660 times)

only 1 in 5 americans own a passport!!
« on: November 23, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »

I was surprised to read this statistic.
i understand yours is a big country with so much variation you need not travel abroad, but i really didn't know this. if its not personal, Americans, can i ask-have you ever owned a passport?-
or if that is personal, what do you think about the statistic.
from what i gather you are all democrat voters so i expect the answer to be yes from most of you.  (tongue3)
from an inquiring British lad.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: only 1 in 5 americans own a passport!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »

I don't know how personal the question is-- let's see how many dodge it!  :P

I have had a passport for decades. Eek, I can't even remember my first trip. It was probably Canada. I've been there several times. I love to travel abroad to get a dose of perspective and to realize there are many ways of doing things. It's easy for a person to get rigid in their views, so it's nice to be in a minority where others challenge my assumptions and make me rethink.

You didn't ask, but countries I have visited include Ireland, England, Spain, France, Italy, Czech Republic, Russia, New Zealand, Belize, Guatemala, St. Lucia (I'm running out of countries!)... um, that will do. Never made it to Mexico; shame on me, it's right here. I was planning a trip to Peru when my financial situation went to pieces.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:52:22 PM »

Quote from: 551
Never made it to Mexico; shame on me, it's right here.

You should go there, it easily the most amazing country I've been to so far...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »

Is it possible not to have a passport???!

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »

Ok, if you have a passport, u may like to name some of the places you have been

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »

but i have mentioned it in another thread. Shall i do it again?

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:22:21 PM »

no,its fine. im not gonna make you or anything.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 07:41:50 PM »

Some people just can't afford to travel. It's easier for Europeans as the countries are fairly close. I'm planning a trip to Europe this summer, and it took me ages to save up. My grandparents used to travel back and forth quite a bit, but they were FROM Europe! My parents never did because they never had the money. Very working class. Always struggling just to provide. So it's not that they didn't want to, just never had the opportunity. Most people I know these days travel quite a bit. But they have the money. Most of my students have been to places I haven't seen yet! Again, money. That's the obstacle. Not lack of interest. I want to see everything. And I will. Eventually. Not going to be made to feel bad about that though.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »

Quote from: 216
It's easier for Europeans as the countries are fairly close.

From where I live, you can drive through five countries (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany and France) in 3 1/2 hours...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »

Quote from: 56

From where I live, you can drive through five countries (Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany and France) in 3 1/2 hours...

If I drive for 3 1/2 hours, I'm still in California. Or at the bottom of the ocean.  :X

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 09:33:29 PM »

I suspect that many Americans don't have passports because it's easier and cheaper to travel within the continental United States, and you don't need identification to cross state borders.

I do have a passport but I've only been to England and Mexico.  I would love to travel more and visit other countries, but right now, money is tight.  Such is the life of a poor and busy graduate student.  And it's hard on me too, because I hear my classmates and relatives chatter about exotic places they've been, and it's very embarrassing to say you can't go places because of finances.  :(  But once I have the money, I plan to see the world.

I've been criticized by my husband's European uncle for not traveling more, but his uncle has always been wealthy so it was difficult to make him understand that money is a problem.  It's not because I don't want to travel more, it's because it's not a real possibility right now.

That said, though, I have visited a lot of places in the United States:  Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, Louisiana, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Utah, etc.  And sometimes going to a different state feels a bit like going to a different country--American cultures, lifestyles, accents, cuisine, etc. can vary from state to state (and even city to city), and it's very cool.

Joost, I live in California, and this summer my husband and I drove for SIX hours going upstate and we were still in California at the end of our journey.  If you live where I do, you can drive for endless hours and you'll just wind up in the desert, the ocean, or the middle of nowhere (like Fresno  :-/ ).  Things are spread so far apart here on the West Coast, so it's not like Europe.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »

I only have a passport because it's now law that you need one to go from Canada to the States (and vice versa).  I have yet to go to Europe (I was thinking about going over to the UK for grad school or something), and when the States are conserned I've only been to a few, mainly boarder states.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

yavanna

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:29 AM »

Quote from: 56

Thats the reason why almost everybody in Germany HAD a passport (and probably that goes for the rest of europe as well). But as the identity card is all you need for most of Europe I think most people only renew their passport on necessity here as well.
If the sun has faded away
I'll try to make it shine

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 08:27:14 AM »

Quote from: 216
I'm planning a trip to Europe this summer, and it took me ages to save up.

You're welcome!  :)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »

I don't own one but if I travel over seas I'll have to get one obviously.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 01:32:37 AM »

I am an american and do not have a passport.  You can (well at least you could) travel to Mexico without one.  Mexico is the closest country to me and I would say its like a 12 hour drive away.  The only other country I can drive to is Canada, but I do not have a reason to go there.  At least Mexico is warm hehehhe  8)

For most Americans, I think its the cost of traveling outside the country.  You almost always will have to fly...which costs. And unless you know someone in that other country, you will have to pay for lodging.  Not to mention food and spending money.  All that = ALOT of money.  

Good thing about America is it is very diverse as far as sight seeing and geographical...plenty to see in all of our 50 states, from tropical, to mountains, deserts, oceans.....BUT we are isolated from other countries.
<br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 03:42:35 AM »

Quote from: 1620
I've been criticized by my husband's European uncle for not traveling more, but his uncle has always been wealthy so it was difficult to make him understand that money is a problem.
How inconsiderate! If you were wealthy and had no interest in any other part of the world, I could see someone criticizing you, but to basically taunt you when you haven't the funds is just cruel!

Yes, as Heatherboo says, the US is pretty isolated compared to most countries. Funds are a big issue. I was fortunate to have a job where I could make money, and the interest to save it for travel vs. spending it on toys. I just love to travel! But some people don't travel well-- they have difficulty with the time or diet adjustments. So I can see how some people wouldn't like it even if they had the funds.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
    • le blog
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 03:46:01 AM »

I wish I could travel.  I want to go to Europe so badly but unfortunately I don't see that happening for another couple of years.  It's been one of my life goals to go to the UK and Italy before my 25th birthday and I have every intention of making that happen.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
    • le blog
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 03:47:53 AM »

Quote from: 1204
The only other country I can drive to is Canada, but I do not have a reason to go there.

hey, hey, hey, don't be hatin' on Canada!  LOL.  Canada's a beautiful country, and if you come here in the summer it's generally warm.  You do, however, need a passport to come here now.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 03:58:12 AM »

No offense at all to Canada!  I guess I meant if I had to pick between my obvious choices of Mexico or Canada, I would pick Mexico because I love warm weather and I love to party and Mexico is party central  8)  I wouldn't mind going to Canada, especially if I knew someone from there and they could take me around...I would not have any clue where to go.
<br />
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 87 queries.