Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ever met a Beatles fan by serendipity?  (Read 1381 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Ever met a Beatles fan by serendipity?
« on: August 14, 2022, 10:21:53 PM »

Has anyone ever met a Beatles fan by chance/serendipity?

Back at an on-campus job I had in the early 1990s there was a technician/maintenance employee who always looked so surly and unfriendly. (This is unusual for Missouri, which is a very friendly state.) He seemed so off-putting that I just ignored him when we passed each other in the halls; we would maintain a stony silence. Then, one day—I can't remember what specifically happened; I must have been carrying my Walkman (yes, I'm that old) and some Beatles cassettes—and it was like a switch had been thrown. His entire demeanor changed. His face lit up, and we got talking about the Beatles and how great they are. I was still a very new fan at this point, and I hadn't yet gotten to Abbey Road. He encouraged me to listen to it, especially the medley, and he raved about "Golden Slumbers" in particular.

It reminded me of a quote from one of my favorite authors, James Herriot: "Enthusiasts are appealing, but fanatics are irresistible."  :)

After that, the ice between us thawed, and we'd usually stop and chat about the band. It was a nice experience.

I had that happen with Stephen King, too, that is, meeting a fan by chance.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 30 queries.