Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: If You Could See One Band  (Read 7258 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: If You Could See One Band
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2005, 05:37:24 AM »

Quote from: IndicaWalrus

No, your opinion does not offend.
But the Monet Lisa, is completely different, you cant really use it in the same context for your arguement, but i can see your point, and understand/respect.

Yes I can use the Mona Lisa in the same context because I'm speaking about why people consider something relevent/important. If there's a mass amount of people that are moved by something, then I would say it becomes more important than something else that is basically ignored. There are millions of paintings of women smiling, but the Mona Lisa is the one that rises above them because it has a certain quality that people respond to. So there are millions of album covers that are basically ignored, but the Dark Side cover rises above them because it has a certain quality that people respond to. I'm not comparing the two pieces in the context of great art, but the similarities in the effect they have on people in their own context.
 :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2005, 10:45:52 AM »

Yes, but although there are thousands of pictures with women similing, what the Mona Lisa stands for is slightly different than an allowance of over-indulgent 'Avante-Garde' self satisfying significance.
Dark Side of the Moon technically, is not good art, and the 'moving of people' is a declaration of over-proposed sorts. What does Dark Side of the Moon Stand for? A summary of the era? I would argue against such a claim.
Yes, its a rock Album that is remembered, yes, it has iconic status, and yes, many people love its simplistic charm, but like anything, it gets to the point when someone has to stand in and question its superiority. Its transcendence into representing an era? Well Dark Side of The Moon in my eyes is inventive over-stretched ego's, with a grand helping from the 'Chocolate selection' of Abbey Road Instruments.
What effect does it have on you?
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2005, 03:36:11 AM »

You make some interesting points. But I find it kind of ironic that you call the album over indulgent and inventive over stretched egos. (I'm assuming you're speaking of the guys.) And yet you're a Beatles fan. The same could be said of their later albums. That's what was going on at the time. And thank God for it because it's some of the best music ever made. I don't think the guys in Floyd were pretentious at all. Although that's the rap they get from non-fans. If you knew anything about them you'd know they were quite the opposite. Of course they had egos, don't all of those guys? And as a side bar, they are one of the most generous rock stars you'll ever find. But I know that has nothing to do with the album or cover. But you did bring up what you thought of the album. I understand it's not your thing, but do you really deny it's genius?
Anyway, the cover represents the band. The fact that they were about both sound and light. Creating a mood, something you can experience on different levels. THe inside has a line of a heart beat which goes along with the theme. The album is mainly about insanity -- dark side of the moon, irrationality, the other side of your normal life. They also included a couple of posters made by the artist with the original album and took a cut in their royalties so the price of the album wouldn't be raised. I think they put a lot of thought into their packaging. I don't think this is pretention, but pride in the work they put out for their fans. Anyway, if you don't like it then you don't like it. I'm certainly not going to convince you otherwise! But I like the points you make. Makes me think.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2005, 03:40:55 AM »

I wish CD's came with posters

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2005, 03:44:23 AM »

That'd be pretty tricky!! The invention of CD's killed album art and packaging. Like the poster and pictures that came with the White Album. Now it's just in a tiny book. And the Lyrics on the back of Sgt. Pepper are inside instead. And you can't see any detail on the covers.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2005, 11:50:35 AM »

Well presented comment Sandra.
I agree about the eradication of vinyl being a harsh blow on presentation and Art, CD's just dont have the same impact. Its a shame, but a i time I never lived through :(
Although Im trying to buy the Beatles Vinyl - collection..my Dad still has his player 8)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2005, 08:38:40 PM »

When you go to Tower Records, they have a whole section of vinyl. You can even get the new bands on vinyl. And some places are selling like really cool record players at outrageous prices. I guess they realize there's a market. You could still buy records in the 80's, I think they phased them out in the late 80's or early 90's. I guess you were a toddler then! ;D

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2005, 08:46:41 PM »

i've got tons of beatles, pink floyd, led zeppelin and other vynils...i bought like the wall for 2$ and it was in really good condition! i got beatles love songs, some beatles songs on vynil and some albums my parents gave me, the wall, dark side of the moon, led zep II,III,IV, band on the run, venus and mars, SINYC (lennon), double fantasy, some queen and many others i cant seem to remember! vynils are great!

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2005, 05:27:17 AM »

wow its preety even

but everyone knows that we would all wanna see the beatles b4 any of these bands

Paul McCartney :)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2005, 11:34:12 AM »

Yeah, born 86.
Glad I past the 80's so to speak.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 60 queries.