Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Piggies  (Read 7722 times)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Song Of The Week - Piggies
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 10:21:49 PM »

George should've left that last verse in

Yes I agree. Any idea why he left it out?

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 10:31:53 PM »

Yes I agree. Any idea why he left it out?

No idea. but he included it in Tokyo 1991, I love the 'Thee Pig Brother' bit. Best line in the song imo. :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocMokEhBM-o&amp;start_radio=1&amp;list=RDocMokEhBM-o&amp;t=29" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocMokEhBM-o&amp;start_radio=1&amp;list=RDocMokEhBM-o&amp;t=29</a>
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:33:38 PM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 09:52:24 PM »

The more I listen to this the more I appreciate the harpsichord playing of Chris Thomas.

The lines are perfect, very baroque and a tad Addams family. Prog Rock even.

It’s great isn’t it.  And the string arrangement works perfectly with it.

KelMar

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 11:37:10 PM »

I’ve loved this song ever since I heard it the first time as an adult. I know I heard it as a kid when I played my rummage sale copy of the album but it didn’t stick with me. I had to live a while to appreciate George’s keen take on things. Living as close as I do to the small town that served as the headquarters of Adelphia Communications, I always associate it with that scandal.

Yes, it is.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »

Yes excellent. George Martin strikes again !
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 12:26:00 AM »

So let me ask this question.
Who thinks (if the White were cut to a single album as proposed by George Martin) that Piggies should have been cut from the resultant single album and who thinks it deserves to stay in favour of another track ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 03:02:45 AM »

Who thinks (if the White were cut to a single album as proposed by George Martin) that Piggies should have been cut from the resultant single album and who thinks it deserves to stay in favour of another track ?

I’d probably cut it. It’s fun but I’d rank it probably fourth of the George white album songs. Assuming he’d only get two it’d be gone.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2018, 03:54:19 AM »

I’d probably cut it. It’s fun but I’d rank it probably fourth of the George white album songs. Assuming he’d only get two it’d be gone.

I agree, lets face it, I like it cos its The Beatles, but if another band released this Id probably ignore it, lets face it, its not a great song.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »

I prefer it to Long Long Long Long Long ... Long.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps would obviously be on a single White Album.

After that it depends on which songs were being held over for the following album.

I think Savoy Truffle, which I love,  would have fit in better with some variation of the Get Back project so I'd keep that for later.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »

I think the second George cut would depend on what was needed on the album. If uptempo was needed then Savoy, if a ballad then Long Long Long. I think with the abundance of  high quality John and Paul ballads on the white album I think Savoy would have been the more likely to get a guernsey. 

It would raise the question of what to do with Piggies. Which deserved to go somewhere. Not really an Abbey Road type song. Nor Let it Be.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 12:35:45 PM »

I prefer it to Long Long Long Long Long ... Long.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps would obviously be on a single White Album.

I agree with both statements.
For me the only George track to make it onto a single White Album would be WMGGW

I can enjoy the other 3 but I dont think theyre great songs. I actually think Long Long Long couldve been arranged and recorded much better.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 07:36:34 PM »

I agree with both statements.
For me the only George track to make it onto a single White Album would be WMGGW

I can enjoy the other 3 but I dont think theyre great songs. I actually think Long Long Long couldve been arranged and recorded much better.

LLL has benefited from the remix. The vocals are a lot more forward. The original version sounded like George was singing in a next door cave.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 10:40:14 PM »

LLL has benefited from the remix. The vocals are a lot more forward. The original version sounded like George was singing in a next door cave.

;D

Im used to hearing LLL with scratches, the track is so quiet and my LP had snap crackle and pop, it annoyed me how delicate it was.
All I could hear was the sodding drums !
Even the original CD was bad as well, although better without the crackle  ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2018, 12:30:05 AM »

Moog:  I don't think there was any album for Piggies to be on other than the White Album.

Or it could have gone to one of George's solo albums.

Also:  Ringo's "Don't pass me by" is similar.  It's not a good song.  How did it make it to the White Album?

These two songs seem like they were just something to fill out the album.

The Beatles weren't perfect and they weren't 100% songwriting masters.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2018, 02:41:07 AM »

These two songs seem like they were just something to fill out the album.

The Beatles weren't perfect and they weren't 100% songwriting masters.

I kind of disagree.
They had better songs than Piggies and Dont Pass Me By.

Songs like Not Guilty and Step Inside Love were better songs.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2018, 04:06:22 AM »

Loco. I don’t think Piggies or Don’t PMB are particularly great songs but, certainly in the case of Piggies, the lyrics make it distinctive and more memorable than something that might musically  have been a better example of the songwriting art. And recall George had Something mostly written during these sessions. He played it for Chris Thomas who thought it was great and wanted to work on it. If quality classic songwriting was the only concern then they could have gone with that. But just as Paul had Why Don’t We Do it in the Road and John did Revolution 9, they were aiming for something different with this double album.

Don’t Pass Me By is there as it’s Ringo’s first full songwriting credit. And its countryish feel  fit in with the sprawling scope of the music on the album.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 11:50:42 PM »

Nimrod:  I really like "Not Guilty."  I think it's better than "Piggies."  I'm not saying "Piggies" is bad.

Moog:  Actually, I appreciate "Don't pass me by" more now that you've reminded me that Ringo wrote it.  That's really not a bad effort on his part considering that he's really not a songwriter.  I wish I could write something like that but I can't.  I've tried to write songs in the past but they've usually been in mono-tones and very repetitive.  Guess I wasn't born with that kind of talent.  Ringo's direct exposure to the Beatles must have helped him.  (I wonder if Pete Best would ever have written anything.)

You know, I've been thinking more and more about the White Album and I now think it was just a collection of songs, that's all.  It also represents to me the impending breakup of the Beatles.  After all, this is not the early Beatles who all played together as 4 people on their songs.  I'd like to label this "the break-up album."

John's "Revolution 9" should have been on one of his solo albums.  It had no place on a Beatles album but there it is and history cannot be changed.  It is interesting in its own way but it's not music.

Even so, I still like listening to the album in its entirety.  It's a journey - maybe not a magical mystery tour - but definitely a tour of the Beatles as solo artists.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 12:12:41 AM »

Nimrod:  I really like "Not Guilty."  I think it's better than "Piggies."  I'm not saying "Piggies" is bad.

Moog:  Actually, I appreciate "Don't pass me by" more now that you've reminded me that Ringo wrote it.  That's really not a bad effort on his part considering that he's really not a songwriter.  I wish I could write something like that but I can't.  I've tried to write songs in the past but they've usually been in mono-tones and very repetitive.  Guess I wasn't born with that kind of talent.  Ringo's direct exposure to the Beatles must have helped him.  (I wonder if Pete Best would ever have written anything.)

You know, I've been thinking more and more about the White Album and I now think it was just a collection of songs, that's all.  It also represents to me the impending breakup of the Beatles.  After all, this is not the early Beatles who all played together as 4 people on their songs.  I'd like to label this "the break-up album."

John's "Revolution 9" should have been on one of his solo albums.  It had no place on a Beatles album but there it is and history cannot be changed.  It is interesting in its own way but it's not music.

Even so, I still like listening to the album in its entirety.  It's a journey - maybe not a magical mystery tour - but definitely a tour of the Beatles as solo artists.

Its definitly a journey Loco.
I wish it had been a single LP, it would have been one of their very best
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 12:33:11 AM »

I would cut it, although there are several other tracks I'd sacrifice before I got to "Piggies".

I would certainly keep the other three George songs.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2018, 04:02:53 AM »

Its definitly a journey Loco.
I wish it had been a single LP, it would have been one of their very best

While true, I think the Beatles, post Rubber Soul, were trying to do something different with each album. To have a hook for each project. Rather than just have the tightest collection of great tracks. So Revolver delved into loops and backward guitar and lots of instrumentation that couldn’t be easily reproduced live, Pepper was the alter ego thing. Post White Album, Let it Be was originally conceived as documenting a live show of new material. Abbey Road was probably the closest to just a collection of great songs, but then they still did the second side suite. So the whole point of the White Album was its expansiveness covering a whole array of genres and including oddities such as Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9. While it would  have been a lot tighter as a single, to them that wasn’t the point. It was the point to George Martin who was still thinking in terms of what was the most commercially viable path to take.

And since it’s usually in the mix in fans choice as a favourite Beatle album, you can see why Paul did his “it’s the bloody Beatles White Album” rant.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 2.154 seconds with 81 queries.