Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If John didn't die...  (Read 4497 times)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
If John didn't die...
« on: March 27, 2010, 12:21:06 AM »

Ever wonder what he be up to now if he had lived wondering what life would be for him reaching 70. I think he would of been a internet addict and written great songs.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: If John didn't die...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:15:47 PM »

Ever wonder what he be up to now if he had lived wondering what life would be for him reaching 70. I think he would of been a internet addict and written great songs.

Yes, I also sometimes think about it. Especially when I catch some tune that reminds of John`s music. I believe he would have parted with Yoko, he would have "grown up", found peace of mind, kind and caring love (and a perfect match), happiness. He would have continued writing music and great songs, and no doubt he would have his own band. He would have taken American citizenship and would be elected American President. He would be the best American President ever! Imagine that!!!

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »

^^You have to be born in America to be eligible to run for president.

The name's Emily :)

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »

He would be running for queen of England instead.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »

Obama wasn`t born in America.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »

Wonder if Paul woyld ask him to be godfather to Bea

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:43:11 AM »

Where does this "fact" about John and Yoko's marriage being in trouble at the end of his life come from? As far as I can tell they were madly in love, clean of drugs, refreshed after the five years' break from public life, and excited to be moving forward with their lives, musical careers, and the raising of their son together. I just listened to Double Fantasy last night and although the first few songs indicate relationship stress, it gives the impression that they're just getting out their past frustrations and moving on, and most of them indicate utmost love for one another.

Also, as a side note, I love (not like, LOVE) Yoko's songs on Double Fantasy. I also listened to John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band yesterday, and I loved "Do The Oz" (which appeared as a bonus track) as well. So nyah nyah nyah nyah!

LadyGrinningSoul

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »

I could see him getting into the art scene more, some concept type albums and forming another band. I defintely think he would have been technology savvy and embraced it in his work somehow. I also think The Beatles would have reunited for something.

Wonderland

• Getting Better
  • I'm as crazy as you want me to be
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 12:54:22 PM »

I always wondered what would have happened if he recorded a new version of 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' like he said he would. Would Paul, George and Ringo have been on the track? I hope they would have!

I'd like to have seen him and the others reunite to record another album or two (they had been thinking about it, if the rumours are true), it would have been interesting to hear them record some material together in the 80s. I wonder what sort of sound they'd have? Or whether George Martin would have produced it?

What about Julian? Would John have gone back to England to visit him? Maybe Julian could come over to John in the summer.

Also, what would have happened with John and May Pang? Would he have left Yoko for her, or would he find that in the long run he was more into Yoko? Or would he have found someone else altogether?

Additionally, I would have wanted to know what he thought of computers, iPods etc. Imagine if he had a blog or something (in a similar style to Brian May), I know I'd read it. Or he could have written more books, his books are great. What about if he had a Twitter? Would he have shared it with Yoko, or would they each have had a separate one?

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »

He may of liked Ipods listening to B 52's etc

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »

Where does this "fact" about John and Yoko's marriage being in trouble at the end of his life come from? As far as I can tell they were madly in love, clean of drugs, refreshed after the five years' break from public life, and excited to be moving forward with their lives, musical careers, and the raising of their son together. I just listened to Double Fantasy last night and although the first few songs indicate relationship stress, it gives the impression that they're just getting out their past frustrations and moving on, and most of them indicate utmost love for one another.

Also, as a side note, I love (not like, LOVE) Yoko's songs on Double Fantasy. I also listened to John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band yesterday, and I loved "Do The Oz" (which appeared as a bonus track) as well. So nyah nyah nyah nyah!

I very much hope that they were happy together in the end! But fans write about their strained relationship so much that now I don`t know what to think. That John wanted to separate from Yoko at that time and she knew about it. That John wanted to return to Cynthia. That John didn`t know that Yoko was going to insert her songs on Double Fantasy. But had no choice. And so on... I am at a loss...
Actually, I love Double Fantasy, it has unforgettable songs. And somehow I agree with you that Yoko`s songs there are rather good, especially I`m Moving On. I absolutely adore the way I`m Losing You goes into I`m Moving On. Walking On Thin Ice is also very good.  :)

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 12:38:56 AM »

I think John's relationship with Julian would've grown, which would probably strain John's marriage with Yoko since she doesn't exactly like Julian that much. He would've reunited with the remaining Beatles and they would've either performed a special concert or make a few songs. And he would also get in touch with his relatives who he basically rarely talked to during his time with Yoko.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:01:34 AM by sgt. peppie »

George does not approve.

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:58:57 AM »

(Much of the following information is gleaned from various sources, mostly Wikipedia, and also the content of John and Yoko's music and art that I've seen and heard. I haven't read any biographies of John, Yoko, or any Beatles-related figures for that matter, so I don't know if there's information I haven't heard, but this is the impression I get.)

I somehow doubt he would have gone back to Cynthia, because as far as I'm aware she no longer had any interest in him whatsoever. May Pang would probably be more likely, as he did say at one point that he was the happiest he'd ever been when he was with her; also, according to Pang, Yoko was indeed manipulative of John prior to his relationship with Pang, and she helped John learn to deal with the emotional scars that allowed Yoko to treat him thusly. However, there's no telling how much of this happiness was due to the huge amount of alcohol, pot, and heroin he was using at the time, or how much of Yoko's cold treatment of him was due to her own drug addictions and inability to cope with her own scars (John wasn't the only unhappy one; Yoko did, after all, have her own share of tragedy in her life, having lived through the fire-bombing of Tokyo and subsequent homelessness, as well as having to deal with the kidnapping of her daughter, Kyoko, by her ex-husband). We do know, however, that Yoko eventually reached out to John and suggested that they clean up together, and presumably Yoko was doing some deep thinking about herself and her past as well during that time. As happy as John claims to have been, he took that offer and got back with Yoko. Someone in my "Why does everyone hate Yoko?" thread said that she drugged him with cocaine so he could manipulate him throughout their marriage, and that Yoko was somehow at fault for not helping John quit when she knew she had the power, but this is all false. If John ever used coke, it was only briefly, for one thing. Heroin was his drug of choice, and Yoko used it as well, until they both helped each other to quit the habit, as well as other drug habits, in the early to mid seventies. By the time they raised Sean together, they were both clean.

Also, contrary to John's comment about his happiness with May Pang, in 1980, which I can only assume was a later date, John said that in 1980, around the time of Double Fantasy, he was the most content he had ever been in his entire life.

These could both be true, of course. I know a former alcoholic/drug addict, who spent 30 years basically on the streets or in friends' homes. He said he was extremely happy at that time; someone who's constantly using drugs is always happy, until of course they have a dry spell where they can't afford any drugs or booze for a little while. He also says, however, that now that he's been clean for a few years and his life seems to be getting a little better, he's very content. John may very well have been the same way. He was ALWAYS high when he was with May Pang, so his addled brain may have been incapable of producing negative feelings during that time. So no, he wasn't as happy with Yoko as he was with May, but I don't think he would have traded his life with Yoko and Sean for the world. The songs on Double Fantasy seem to indicate this.

--------

So what do I think John would be doing if he were still alive today? I think he and Yoko would have continued to make wonderful art and music, continued to work toward world peace, and I think John would be just as much in love with the Internet as Yoko is today. I think they would be sending public love notes through Twitter. :P

I also think Yoko would have likely eventually eased up on Julian and John's other family a bit, at least due to public (i.e. tabloids') pressure on John's behalf, if not due directly to John's desire for her to do so. Unfortunately, without John here, the tabloids have nothing to latch onto. Nobody really cares about what Yoko thinks or does these days except for her own fanbase, it seems.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:00:58 AM by Almighty Doer of Stuff »

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 07:26:36 AM »

Always high? That's another myth...

I don't think John would have reunited with Cyn or The Beatles. Passed stations. I think Paul, Ringo and George came together after all BECAUSE of John's death. Maybe they suddenly realized their mortality or so.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »

I get the feeling about John that whatever course his life took it wasn't going to have a happy ending.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:50:00 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »

I agree, Kevin. He was prey to procrastination and apathy, self-obsession and self-doubt (hey aren't we all!), and I think without a catalyst or a deadline of some sort he'd have been in danger of drifting. If he kept the tv on all day long without really watching it, how much more would he fritter away his time and talent with the technological glut we have today? Or maybe he'd have got on with things, maybe his career in the 80's, 90's and noughties would have followed Paul's. Just think what John's version of Give my regards film would have been like. And maybe he'd have married again like Paul. Who would it have been? But it's all idle speculation, part of me doesn't even think I should be thinking all this....
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 09:20:20 PM »

I don't think John would have reunited with Cyn or The Beatles. Passed stations.

Not with Cynthia.
However, I believe that the Beatles would have reunited just like the Stones did after their separation when Mick went off to write his own music. They would have met, would have tried to stay together - for some time at least. Remember Paul called John and I am sure Paul always wanted to go on playing with John, as did John. And when they met again many years later, they would have found it amazing to play together and great fun! No more quarrels, no more qualms, no more faults with each other. This would have been all in the past. They would have got over it all!
Actually I believe they would have played together and solo as well.

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 07:07:56 AM »

Dunno. The expression on George's face during the jam on Anthology (where they play Thinking Of Linking) says it all. Ringo doesn't look too happy either. Only Paul seems to enjoy it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »

I agree, Kevin. He was prey to procrastination and apathy, self-obsession and self-doubt (hey aren't we all!), and I think without a catalyst or a deadline of some sort he'd have been in danger of drifting. If he kept the tv on all day long without really watching it, how much more would he fritter away his time and talent with the technological glut we have today? Or maybe he'd have got on with things, maybe his career in the 80's, 90's and noughties would have followed Paul's. Just think what John's version of Give my regards film would have been like. And maybe he'd have married again like Paul. Who would it have been? But it's all idle speculation, part of me doesn't even think I should be thinking all this....

Please marry me.
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 80 queries.