Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Fundamental Baptist Church's Beatle story.  (Read 1679 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
The Fundamental Baptist Church's Beatle story.
« on: January 09, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »

I actually found this a fun read and a completely different slant on things. I'm always interested in how it's possible to draw radically differing opinions from the same set of facts. Most interesting is the section entitled "Lennon's near insanity." Great fun. It's a bit longish, so I suggest you skim it for the good bits. But don't read this if you can't stomach your heroes being trashed.
ps I found this by googling my four fascinations - Beatles, Hitler, neanderthals and marijuana and this one scored on three.

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/beatles.htm

don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: The Fundamental Baptist Church's Beatle story.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »

Why did you make me read this? I suppose it does have its humor value, but it's such a hateful, slanted view of the Beatles' lives and philosophies, cherry-picking quotes from various parts of their careers without regard to the whole, and relying on such authorities as Giuliano for many of its points, I couldn't make it past the 4th paragraph. (I did skim lower, and found no signs of improvement).

I was mildly amused in an annoying way by the implication that John brought about his death because he posed nude the day before (remember the "wages of sin are death", campers; if nudity was enough to get Ham and his descendents damned for all time for seeing the nakedness of his father, never mind it was Noah's fault for getting stinking drunk in his tent and Ham was only coming to check on him, imagine how guilty John is for deliberately taking off his clothes!) Then they go on in the very next sentence to say how the assassin "prayed for demons to enter my body to give me the power to kill". Now, which is it? If creep-head was acting under the influence of demons by killing John, wouldn't this put John on God's side? But people like this can rarely be arsed to be consistent.

I suppose you're more insulated from such drivel in England, but over here these hateful voices are too present and wield too much political power for me to find much humor in it. There are signs the American people are finally as sick of them as I am. Let's hope it is so. Hate hiding under the cloak of religion is an evil thing.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:21 PM »

I have to admit that was a truly fascinating read.  I can just imagine the poor soul that had to "research" the Beatles' material and then write this.  Putting his/her soul into such danger and at the same time being pretty accurate at least in his/her references.  

What kind of cognitive dissonance must this person suffer from?  "Phil Keaggy plays the Beatles?!  No, it can't be . . . they've gotten to him too . . . ."

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:55:37 AM »

Quick question:Why do you think Paul didnt go to his fathers funeral?From what ive read hes likes his father...

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:43:17 AM »

Quote from: 551
Why did you make me read this? I suppose it does have its humor value, but it's such a hateful, slanted view of the Beatles' lives and philosophies, cherry-picking quotes from various parts of their careers without regard to the whole, and relying on such authorities as Giuliano for many of its points, I couldn't make it past the 4th paragraph. (I did skim lower, and found no signs of improvement).

Why is Guiliano not a credible source?
All of this is hard to believe, to what extent John was crazy,so if some of this is untrue, Id like to know
What about Robert Rosen?Is he credible?

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

This paragraph in the article is a real doozy. As influential as the Beatles have been, I don't think they should be held responsible for the shift of cultural mores away from Christianity. That was happening anyway.

The 2004 YouGov survey of people in Britain found that only 44% believe in God, 33% in heaven, and 25% in hell. Thus a whopping 75% have bought into Lennon
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:58:15 AM »

I thought Jesus pioneered the long haird look or was it Oscar Wilde , there's me not going to Heaven for mentioning those two in the same breath  ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »

Quote from: 971
I thought Jesus pioneered the long haird look or was it Oscar Wilde , there's me not going to Heaven for mentioning those two in the same breath  ;D

Old Sampson was quite famous for the long lock look. Vishnu had a ponytail.  :)
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »

I found this sentence particulaly heartwarming:
In summarizing the influence of John Lennon, rock researcher David A. Noebel stated:
don't follow leaders

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »

I'm kind of disappointed the writer didn't blame the Beatles for the assassinations of Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King. Its about the only thing he didn't blame them for.
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »

" Blessed are ye , when men shall re-vile you , and persecute you ,and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely , for my sake " ( The Gospel According To ST.Matthew , chapter 5 )

My Methodist upbringing comes in handy sometimes :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »

Quote from: 551
Why did you make me read this?......I suppose you're more insulated from such drivel in England,  

Sorry hh. Yes, christian fundamentalism is as alien and baffling to us as the Taleban and Mujhadin. Come to think of it - a self-serving elite manipulating the masses with extreme religious dogma while an increasingly sidelined middleclass struggle to maintain some sense of what most of us used to consider normality....you two really should get together.   :)

don't follow leaders

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 10:33:08 PM »

Kevin, Great read.  I think you actually got 4 out of 4 on your "Beatles, Hitler, neanderthals and marijuana" search.
First paragraph: "The Beatles are the most popular and influential rock band of all time"
Third paragraph: "Sid Bernstein observed,

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »

This is really Eye Opening.I'll ask Again because My Question didn't get answered.

Are Guiliano and Robert Rosen credible authors?Is this all just stretched truth?

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 67 queries.