Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: How many of you think Paul McCartney sucks now?  (Read 24661 times)

maccafan

• A Beginning
Re: How many of you think Paul McCartney sucks now?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 07:45:19 AM »

Anyone, and I do mean anyone saying that Paul McCartney sucks is absolutely DELUSIONAL!

This man has been producing fantastic music since he started!  No not every single note is Earth Shattering, but the VAST MAJORITY is some of the best music in pop music history!

Paul McCartney sucks?!  Yeah right, and I have some land on the moon for sale!

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »

You resurrected this thread from 14 years ago, bless you.  I agree, Mr. McCartney never truly deserved this question.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »

Many musicians' best stuff seems to be when they're just starting out and very young.

People like the Beatles are "destined" to be worshiped forever no matter what they do down the road.

For example, people still worship John despite Revolution 9, Yoko's screaming on his early solo records, and his later politically themed protest/cynical song lyrics.  Consider how many fans there must be who could not possibly relate to "God" or "Imagine."  Yet it was strange how my fundamentalist religious mother always sang along to "Imagine" if she heard it on the radio.  Did she actually hear the lyrics?  I never asked her about it.  She also thought it was a very beautiful song.

Ringo is still adored by fans even though his solo output is probably not highly valued.  Who buys his records?

Whatever - don't anyone dare to criticize Paul!  That's a big no-no for this God-like legend in the music world.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 09:20:20 PM »

Yet it was strange how my fundamentalist religious mother always sang along to "Imagine" if she heard it on the radio.  Did she actually hear the lyrics?  I never asked her about it.  She also thought it was a very beautiful song.

Judging by how John and Yoko bought a separate apartment just for their coats and shoes, I’m not sure they listened to the lyrics either.  ;)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 10:15:18 PM »

Ha ha!  ha2ha That's a very good observation, Moog!

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2018, 11:35:40 PM »

Judging by how John and Yoko bought a separate apartment just for their coats and shoes, I’m not sure they listened to the lyrics either.  ;)

Yes Im always gobsmacked how John could sit in his stately mansion with his own recording studio on 90 acres with a Rolls Royce in the garage and a full time chauffeur housed in the gatehouse and sing 'Imagine no possessions'  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 11:47:09 PM »

Yes Im always gobsmacked how John could sit in his stately mansion with his own recording studio on 90 acres with a Rolls Royce in the garage and a full time chauffeur housed in the gatehouse and sing 'Imagine no possessions'  ;D

I forgot who but someone actually asked him that. “It’s just a song” was reportedly his reply 

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »

Many musicians' best stuff seems to be when they're just starting out and very young.

People like the Beatles are "destined" to be worshiped forever no matter what they do down the road.

For example, people still worship John despite Revolution 9, Yoko's screaming on his early solo records, and his later politically themed protest/cynical song lyrics.  Consider how many fans there must be who could not possibly relate to "God" or "Imagine."  Yet it was strange how my fundamentalist religious mother always sang along to "Imagine" if she heard it on the radio.  Did she actually hear the lyrics?  I never asked her about it.  She also thought it was a very beautiful song.

Ringo is still adored by fans even though his solo output is probably not highly valued.  Who buys his records?

Whatever - don't anyone dare to criticize Paul!  That's a big no-no for this God-like legend in the music world.

Yes its funny how all my favourite songwriters wrote nothing of real worth after around mid 30's
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »

I do

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »

Me too!  That makes two of us, tkitna.

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »

I forgot who but someone actually asked him that. “It’s just a song” was reportedly his reply

This:

Some visitors were struck by the contrast between his millionaire lifestyle and the sentiments of his most famous song. Elton John was astounded to discover that Yoko had a specially refrigerated room just for her fur coats.

In 1980, to mark Lennon's 40th birthday, Elton sent him a little verse: 'Imagine six apartments / It isn't hard to do / One is full of fur coats / The other's full of shoes.'

An older friend, the Beatles' former personal assistant Neil Aspinall, once heard Lennon moaning about the costs of running his business empire. 'Imagine no possessions, John,' Aspinall said. Lennon glared back. 'It's only a bloody song,' he said.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »

This:

Some visitors were struck by the contrast between his millionaire lifestyle and the sentiments of his most famous song. Elton John was astounded to discover that Yoko had a specially refrigerated room just for her fur coats.

In 1980, to mark Lennon's 40th birthday, Elton sent him a little verse: 'Imagine six apartments / It isn't hard to do / One is full of fur coats / The other's full of shoes.'

An older friend, the Beatles' former personal assistant Neil Aspinall, once heard Lennon moaning about the costs of running his business empire. 'Imagine no possessions, John,' Aspinall said. Lennon glared back. 'It's only a bloody song,' he said.

Ha ha. Thanks Bobber. That’s right. I conflated the two. I’d imagine that only people like Neil or Elton could have got away with stirring him like that.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 01:07:55 AM »

I can't believe Lennon thought he could get away with being a hypocrite by saying "that's just a bloody song."

Okay, sometimes I think we say things to impress other people even though we don't mean what we say.

I guess you really do have to judge someone by their actions and not by their words.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »

I can't believe Lennon thought he could get away with being a hypocrite by saying "that's just a bloody song."

Yeah I always thought that was a bit sh*t by John. There are thousands of homeless people freezing to death sleeping in doorways that can 'imagine no possessions' but Im not sure John could.

George I always thought was also very hypocritical also with his ostentatious possessions, Huge stately home, collection of exotic cars etc. didnt fit with his religious preachings.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 12:40:30 AM »

I've never personally bought this superficial cop-out (as I see it) of labelling John a hypocrite with Imagine.

To me he's inviting everyone (himself included) to glimpse a dream of what could be do-able if EVERYONE detached themselves from materialism. It's typical Lennon simplification (you only have to WANT war to be over and it then will be, right?). But since everyone isn't willing to dream he'll play the game on the world's more brutal terms and win first. Then, from his vaulted position, tell us how it could be if we'd ALL drop our guard and play the rules of the idealistic dreamers. Classic Lennon: a sentimental hearted, naive, well-meaning guy who fundamentally wants everyone to love each other - but will ensure he gets the first head-butt in in the brawl of life, so that we'll all shut up and listen.

He seemed to see things on a grander scale than most. Someone once said Paul's optimism was always tailored in his songs to individual characters and circumstances, whereas John's positive songs were often expressed at a global level (ironically for such a personal, subjective songwriter). I think it was Liverpool comedian Freddie Starr, who knew The Beatles in The Cavern/Hamburg days, who claimed John had the beautiful vision of a poet who was always exasperated by others' limited ambitions. To paraphrase Freddie (I can no longer find the exact quote): "We all wanted to improve our lives but he wanted to improve the world."

I'd be a hypocrite myself if I criticised him over Imagine. We all have the double standard within us... I've done anonymous charity work and private good deeds in my time, but am I willing to sell my big plasma TV and give away the profits having put money in a collection tin to help the homeless earlier that day? Errrr....well, no. I love natural history and the animal kingdom but I'll happily tuck into a slice of venison without a shred of guilt.

On a grander scale I guess that sums up George, too. As nim says, he preached spirituality and genuinely believed in the higher teachings of various gurus but at the same time ensured he had the fastest cars and the biggest of mansions. We are all multi-faceted to some extent if we're honest.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 01:08:00 AM »

I've never personally bought this superficial cop-out (as I see it) of labelling John a hypocrite with Imagine.

To me he's inviting everyone (himself included) to glimpse a dream of what could be do-able if EVERYONE detached themselves from materialism.

Sounds like a Lennon fan cop out to me  ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 01:36:38 AM »

Naaah, he did plenty of "Emperor's Clothes" stuff I'd be at the head of the queue to rubbish.

But regarding Imagine as hypocritical is lazy thinking (IMO).

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 06:16:35 AM »

I'd be a hypocrite myself if I criticised him over Imagine. We all have the double standard within us... I've done anonymous charity work and private good deeds in my time, but am I willing to sell my big plasma TV and give away the profits having put money in a collection tin to help the homeless earlier that day? Errrr....well, no. I love natural history and the animal kingdom but I'll happily tuck into a slice of venison without a shred of guilt.

On a grander scale I guess that sums up George, too. As nim says, he preached spirituality and genuinely believed in the higher teachings of various gurus but at the same time ensured he had the fastest cars and the biggest of mansions. We are all multi-faceted to some extent if we're honest.

I tend to agree.  It’s fun, if a bit of an easy mark, to pick on celebs for this type of thing. I don’t really hold it against them or think less of them for it. I don’t  expect perfect consistency in this sort of stuff. Only if they get too hectoring and self righteous it can grate a bit if they’re not living it. George was a bit preachy in some of his lyrics but I didn’t see it as being real blood and thunder, repent all ye sinners (well, not too much anyway) More that he thought everyone should strive to know God etc etc. That was his bag. Not mine. I just liked the music.

NotTheWalrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 07:51:51 AM »

Well, I think that Egypt Station is a fine album, and we're lucky that he's still releasing music at his age.

It's even better with the b-sides/additional tracks.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2019, 09:07:51 AM »

Paul's a legend & is still busy in his 70's.

Either being interviewed & usually talking about the Beatles, touring because he enjoys it & the public want it, or releasing albums.

He could just relax, spend his millions & enjoy being a father/grandfather. But still works. He's not going to release a 'Hey Jude' every couple of years, who is? He owes the world nothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 1.07 seconds with 80 queries.