Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What If The beatles Had Never Made It?  (Read 1436 times)

Togger

• One And One Is Two
What If The beatles Had Never Made It?
« on: July 18, 2021, 08:43:32 PM »

What if they had never succeeded? What would they have done with their lives? I don't think they ever worked a 9 to 5 job, at least not very long. Especially John, he seemed like a lazy dreamer.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: What If The beatles Had Never Made It?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 09:42:12 PM »

Didn't Ringo want to open a ladies' hairdressing salon...a string of them in fact?

https://youtu.be/EIKlcfEtgyM
1:15

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 12:17:52 AM »

i like the "what if" type questions, no right answers.

What-if George Martin had not been available to work with the Beatles... dare you to try to answer that one

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 12:38:10 AM »

I guess they would have found an everyday job like everybody else in the world.  John and Paul were going to successful in music regardless, even if it wasnt the height that the Beatles reached.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 01:59:35 AM »

What-if George Martin had not been available to work with the Beatles... dare you to try to answer that one

Right.  And what if Brian Epstein hadn't decided to manage them.

I don't think John was the lazy type.  He was a dreamer but very energetic and a leader.  If The Beatles never made it, he might have turned his attention to writing and art.

Paul is very musically gifted.  He might have turned his attention to writing musicals and band leading.

George would have ultimately found Hinduism and lead a quiet life.  Or he might have become a race car driver.    :)

Ringo would have owned a large string of hairdressing salons...

;D

I can stay till it's time to go

Togger

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 03:06:21 AM »

They definitely wouldn't have been as good without Martin. I've always felt he was an underappreciated part of the story.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 04:31:13 PM »

Didn't Ringo want to open a ladies' hairdressing salon...a string of them in fact?

. . . and didn't Paul work as a nighttime janitor—for only one night, I believe—until he got the call saying the band was going back to Hamburg? All my Beatles books are packed, so I can't verify the details right now.

George would have ultimately found Hinduism and lead a quiet life. 

This is a topic for a different thread, but I'm pretty disappointed in George's adherence to the principles of Hinduism. It's not a religion I know a lot about, but it seems clear to me, after reading Joshua Greene's book, that George embraced the principles he admired and disregarded the ones he didn't (viz., the teachings regarding sex and drugs). So I find that a bit disappointing given that the general consensus seems to be that he was quite devout. But he did do a lot to increase people's awareness of the faith, so I suppose one might think it balances out.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »

. . . and didn't Paul work as a nighttime janitor—for only one night, I believe—until he got the call saying the band was going back to Hamburg? All my Beatles books are packed, so I can't verify the details right now.

In the Lewisohn book he talks about how Paul got a job at a manufacturing company when the Beatles fate was a bit uncertain. Sounds like he got into the 9 to 5 and probably would have done well at it. (Much to John’s disgust)  Paul strikes me as the kind of guy who had the attitude and ability to do well at anything he put his mind to.  He also seemed to have taken on board his fathers work ethic.

I think John would have gone back to study or something as he got older and matured. We forget he was a very young man when the Beatles took off. His intellectual curiosity would have come through at some point.

George and Ringo’s problem was their lack of education. Ringo due to illness and George because he blew it off. George might have ended up in a mechanics business with his father and brothers which was an ambition of his father. George would have been the grumpy smart ass mechanic the public were wary of dealing with.  ;)

Ringo probably would have kept on as a professional drummer at least for a few years. Until he’d saved up for his salon.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:50:16 AM by Moogmodule »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 10:58:08 PM »

They definitely wouldn't have been as good without Martin. I've always felt he was an underappreciated part of the story.

Agreed.

Ringo would have owned a large string of hairdressing salons...

Ringo probably would have kept on as a professional drummer at least for a few years. Until he’d saved up for his salon.

. . . and then he perhaps would have met Maureen in a different setting. She was a hairdresser (beautician? what's the PC term these days?), if I recall correctly.

George would have been the grumpy smart ass mechanic the public were wary of dealing with.  ;)

So he wouldn't likely have had any sympathy for me after I accidentally dropped a makeup brush into the emergency brake compartment couple of weeks ago. ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 12:08:31 AM »

So he wouldn't likely have had any sympathy for me after I accidentally dropped a makeup brush into the emergency brake compartment couple of weeks ago. ha2ha

Well. We know what George was like with the ladies. Perhaps would have been as sympathetic as he thought he needed.  ;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 12:11:11 AM »

Agreed.

. .

Oh yeah George M was a huge part of the story. Particularly early on when he taught them how to structure songs etc. Paul benefited from Martin’s input in his solo career too.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 11:22:55 AM »

Well. We know what George was like with the ladies. Perhaps would have been as sympathetic as he thought he needed.  ;)

:)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 09:59:23 PM »

I think George would have continued to play guitar and Ringo would have continued drumming.  They both seemed to have a natural interest in their instruments.  I don't think they needed to have successful musical careers in order to continue playing them.  I believe George would have been a tradesman of some sort, such as an electrician.  I'm not sure about Ringo other than as a hairdresser.  Did he study cosmetology at all?

John loved rock and roll but I don't know how long he would have kept playing it if he hadn't gotten famous.  He probably wouldn't have made any money as an artist or as a writer.  So, I'm undecided about what else he might have done in his life.  Maybe he would have been a bus driver or worked on a fishing boat.

I think Paul had the most potential for having a musical career.  But without a lot of money, he'd have to have done something else to make a living.  I don't remember - what did his dad do for a living?  Maybe Paul would have followed in his dad's footsteps.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Page created in 1.906 seconds with 64 queries.