Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Real Love  (Read 2998 times)

ringo rules

• Getting Better
Real Love
« on: October 09, 2005, 08:37:25 AM »

Who here loves this song as much as I do? One of my favourites at the moment.

Re: Real Love
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:54:43 PM »

I'd rather listen to his demo versions than the Threetles finished product.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 08:22:10 PM »

LOVE the demos, LOVE the song, LOVE the production etc..

but HATE the snare sound.

I don't know what Jeff Lynne did but the drum parts make it sound like an ELO record. I mean I love ELO, but hey...

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 09:23:45 PM »

Quote from: MagicAlex
LOVE the demos, LOVE the song, LOVE the production etc..

but HATE the snare sound.

I don't know what Jeff Lynne did but the drum parts make it sound like an ELO record. I mean I love ELO, but hey...

Thank you. Jeff Lynne was great when he was with ELO. He sucked as a Beatle. His production of George's albums ruined them for me. They are Jeff Lynne albums with George on it. At least he didn't f*** 'Free as a Bird' up.

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 10:08:14 AM »

I absolutely love this song!!:)

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 08:58:05 PM »

I love all the versions for different reasons.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:48:24 PM »

I love Real Love, even more than I do Free As A Bird =P

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 01:19:23 AM »

Quote from: Frightwolf
I love Real Love, even more than I do Free As A Bird =P

same

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 12:02:02 PM »

Jeff Lynne has the dubious distinction of making Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Del Shannon and The Beatles all sound like the same band!!!

It's all up-front trebley acoustic guitars with that awful woolly snare drum!! I wish he'd re-join ELO and leave the producing to professionals!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 12:32:55 PM »

The Real Love single was a real disappointment, as a 'Beatles' product. At least Free As a Bird sounds plausibly like The Beatles, and nostalgic, whereas Real Love just sounds like what Lennon was doing on his final album.
All You Need Is LOVE!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 12:41:40 PM »

Quote from: GreenApple
The Real Love single was a real disappointment, as a 'Beatles' product. At least Free As a Bird sounds plausibly like The Beatles, and nostalgic, whereas Real Love just sounds like what Lennon was doing on his final album.

You speak sense. ;)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 01:18:24 PM »

Quote from: An_Apple_Beatle

You speak sense. ;)

Smiles!  :) Hehe!  ;D

Just thinking about the three Lennon songs Yoko handed over for the Anthology project, I've sometimes wondered if there might have been still more home demos she could have given. In the five years John spent away from making records, it just seems likely he would have made more than just three home demos.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 10:02:03 AM »

It only recently occured to me how much like a George song this sounds. I mean, I know he's on it, and Jeff Lynne produced it, but it just sounds like a song he could have written. Anyone else think the same?

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 11:04:52 AM »

Quote from: 483
It only recently occured to me how much like a George song this sounds. I mean, I know he's on it, and Jeff Lynne produced it, but it just sounds like a song he could have written. Anyone else think the same?

I'd heard that George liked this one more than Free As A Bird (and Paul the contrary) ... and I've always understood why!
Guitars and harmonies are closer to his style on this one ...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 11:30:16 AM »

Funny I've been listening to it for over 10 years and never realised before. I suppose it's because I'm only just getting into George in a big way.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:44 AM »

Quote from: 483
Funny I've been listening to it for over 10 years and never realised before. I suppose it's because I'm only just getting into George in a big way.
There's always something "new" to discover ... that's the main reason for most of the people to be here!  ;)
P.S. George is too "new" for too many people  :-/ ...

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 09:09:13 PM »

I don't know about too new, Raxo, but I'm also following that path. My first interest was in Lennon, but over time I've felt that George's songs speak to what's relevant to me now. Perhaps it's because we've all matured: the world, the listeners, the composers. Lennon had only just turned 40 when he was killed. Oh, if we could rewrite history!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »

Quote from: 551
I don't know about too new, Raxo, but I'm also following that path. My first interest was in Lennon, but over time I've felt that George's songs speak to what's relevant to me now. Perhaps it's because we've all matured: the world, the listeners, the composers. Lennon had only just turned 40 when he was killed. Oh, if we could rewrite history!

I was thinking about that new generation of fans (and some old fans too that haven't paid enough attention to his work) ... I consider that George's music is very mature (more than the others' ... and he's the youngest and almost all of his albums were made in the 70s too ... like John's and, more or less, Ringo's) ... but his music is also full with that special sense of humour of his ... but it can be sad too or melancholic or ... George was much more than the quiet ::) guitarrist!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 11:33:04 PM »

*happy sigh*

I'm just going to sit and admire your last post for a while. :)

Amen!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Will Campbell

• A Beginning
  • In my life....I love you more
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 07:11:41 AM »

raxo, George, to me was more than the quiet guitarist as you so eloquently put it.  He was the most complex character, and I prefer contemplative rather than quiet as an adjective to describe him.  His guitar work was top notch and his keyboard skills were better then he was given credit for.

Granted he didn't churn out the congs like his mates, but there is an understated quality about his work.  His lyrics as you mention, we witty and stinging at times.  He could write cutting, biting lyrics as well as JL could, he could describe his love for his wife or for a sunny day (You know which songs I mean here) just as well as PM could.

Even his slide work was a way to reinvent his style, even after his divergence with the sitar was over.  I love his demo of Gently Weeps and I can watch that man's fingers on the fretboard all day.  Although I love John's Let It Be solo, there's just something about the solo George plays on it that trips me out - more the watching than the listening.  I love the way his pick hand moves I guess....

Here's another clue for you all; the Walrus was Paul...
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 81 queries.