Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ringo's Birthplace Likely To Be Torn Down  (Read 1745 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Ringo's Birthplace Likely To Be Torn Down
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »

Final drum roll for Ringo Starr

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Ringo's Birthplace Likely To Be Torn Down
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »

The least they could do is move it to another location to preserve the home itself.  That's messed up.  What do they want to do with that land anyways, build a Walmart?
<br />

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »

Let's be fair here - why were Lennon and McCartney's houses preserved? Because of all of the songs that were written there! There's no preservation order (that I know of) slapped on John's birthplace. So why should Ringo's be different? There's no real Beatle history in that house, other than the fact that he happened to live there for a couple of years.

And as for Pete Best's place being kept - well, it is the Casbah - a piece of history!

That's my (poorly argued) penny's worth. And I say that as a Liverpudlian, a Beatle fan and an Historian!

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »

Maybe Ringo could redeem himself by paying for it to be moved to the museum and contributing something to the new development to show he really does care about his hometown.

But in fact I think it's a bit like the Cavern fiasco. In twenty years time people will be saying how on earth didn't they save  it as a historic place.

As for the Beatles connection, I think it's important to show that Ringo was the poor kid from the poor part of town. And if you've seen this house it makes Lennon's suburban place look like a palace.

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »

I'm just not sure that the house should be a museum, really. As I said, John and Paul's houses are the places where the early classics were written and demoed, but Ringo's house is just the place where his grandparents lived and Ringo's parents spent most of their unhappy marriage. Certainly he was born there, but nothing that could be described as Beatle Magic occurred under that roof.

And, if you want to put Ringo 'into context', then Liverpool still has plenty of grotty slums to show off! And, indeed, Lennon's earliest years at Newcastle Road and suchlike were hardly spent in grand palaces. Even when he did get to go and live at lovely Menlove Ave, I'm sure that it was George and Ringo who had the happier times at home. George with his beloved parents (his Mum used to go to his gigs!) and Ringo with his beloved Elsie and Harry.

You don't have to be materially rich to be spiritually rich :)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »

Quote from: 1571
And, if you want to put Ringo 'into context', then Liverpool still has plenty of grotty slums to show off! And, indeed, Lennon's earliest years at Newcastle Road and suchlike were hardly spent in grand palaces.

I don't think Ringo's house is a grotty slum. But it is an amazingly small terrace house and would surprise people who've never seen it.

In any case there's still Admiral Grove which is not much bigger and will probably be preserved one day.

The argument about riches versus happiness is quite appropriate which is why the house should be preserved.

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 47 queries.