Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can you come up with a band to equal The Beatles  (Read 2397 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Re: Can you come up with a band to equal The Beatles
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2021, 06:51:10 PM »

Thank you, Hello Goodbye.  Tambourine's a really nice band.  I've never heard of them before.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 11:11:43 PM »

Loco, I was asked for an example of original material by The Analogues so I posted a song written by Bart van Poppel  who was a member of Tambourine in 1989 when he wrote The Summer of Love.  The band had moderate success in Europe.

Bart van Poppel is known for his songwriting and bass guitar playing:  The Analogues' Bart van Poppel: "A lot of Paul McCartney’s bass thinking came from him starting out as a guitar player"
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2021, 11:35:54 PM »

I'll wait to hear their original material. ;)

Haha!
I was watching that video and I dont know what you think Moog but some of the vocals dont sound "live" to me.
If you listen to Glass Onion, it sounds like its been recorded in a studio with all the availabilities that has. And some of the backing vocals are too perfect for live performance. Like say on USSR.

On the track "Im So Tired" it fails for me, Ive seen others fail also trying to emulate Lennons superb vocal. Which has this other worldly quality, a mixture of disinterest, anger, and melancholy.

You have a greater knowledge of studio recording that me Moog, what do you think, Is the whole thing "live" ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2021, 01:15:35 AM »

Here's another performance of Back In The U.S.S.R. by The Analogues...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHZBsTOR2A" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqHZBsTOR2A</a>

It looks and sounds all live to me, except for the jet engine noise.  They never try to mimic the vocals or look like The Beatles as some tribute bands do.  But they get the instrumentals as close as possible to what we hear on The Beatles albums.  They also do complete album performances which is no easy feat.

Here's Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGGQe3gUCsM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGGQe3gUCsM</a>
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2021, 10:50:34 PM »

Haha!
I was watching that video and I dont know what you think Moog but some of the vocals dont sound "live" to me.
If you listen to Glass Onion, it sounds like its been recorded in a studio with all the availabilities that has. And some of the backing vocals are too perfect for live performance. Like say on USSR.

On the track "Im So Tired" it fails for me, Ive seen others fail also trying to emulate Lennons superb vocal. Which has this other worldly quality, a mixture of disinterest, anger, and melancholy.

You have a greater knowledge of studio recording that me Moog, what do you think, Is the whole thing "live" ?

Yeah to be honest I first thought they were just playing a recorded version over the visuals. The sound is very pure and the performance flawless. And yes the lead on Glass Onion and some others does sound very "studio".  I thought It might have been a tricked up concert for the DVD. There's obviously stagey things like the cellos and violins which don't seem to be miked or wired up in any way. I'm assuming those are backing tapes or just recreated on the keyboard.

Could be though, they've just taken a recording straight from the board in multitrack and then sweetened/overdubbed in the studio later. Which is pretty much what every major band does nowadays. I do suspect the backing vox at a minimum have some backing tape assistance though.

Still, these guys are good. I like they don't try to mimic, more recreate, and you can't argue with their dedication to getting all the parts spot on. Tribute bands still aren't my thing but these guys do a good job.

I'm also impressed they got Nick Nolte to play drums for them.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 10:52:30 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVE2w0p5m0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVE2w0p5m0</a>

Bart van Poppel   1989

Nice tune.  icon_good

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2021, 11:32:38 PM »

Yeah to be honest I first thought they were just playing a recorded version over the visuals. The sound is very pure and the performance flawless. And yes the lead on Glass Onion and some others does sound very "studio".  I thought It might have been a tricked up concert for the DVD. There's obviously stagey things like the cellos and violins which don't seem to be miked or wired up in any way. I'm assuming those are backing tapes or just recreated on the keyboard.

Could be though, they've just taken a recording straight from the board in multitrack and then sweetened/overdubbed in the studio later. Which is pretty much what every major band does nowadays. I do suspect the backing vox at a minimum have some backing tape assistance though.

Still, these guys are good. I like they don't try to mimic, more recreate, and you can't argue with their dedication to getting all the parts spot on. Tribute bands still aren't my thing but these guys do a good job.

I'm also impressed they got Nick Nolte to play drums for them.

I did suspect backing tapes, those vocals have been created in the studio. I just cant see any live band being that accurate when they have so much to think about.
If I bought a ticket it would seriously annoy me that it wasnt purely Live.
They are good musicians no doubt. But I prefer The Punch Brothers, now they are Live !!  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 53 queries.