Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: What is the worst Beatles album of all time?  (Read 12311 times)

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
Re: What is the worst Beatles album of all time?
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2005, 08:48:31 PM »

I can't believe you're saying that either! A HARD DAY'S NIGHT is in your bottom three! That means you put Let It Be ABOVE it?

The Beatles produced several seminal albums. This is where they broke new ground, rose to the highest peaks of creativity or simply overwhelmed us with quality. Here they are (yes, yes, imo):

Please Please Me (a huge breath of fresh air at the time)
A Hard Day's Night (one of the greatest rock n roll albums of all time, thanks mainly to Our John)
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt Pepper
The White Album

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2005, 09:16:17 PM »

Why are you so down on Let it Be? Their are some great songs on that album and I like the way they went back to the basics for it. Something they had gotten away from for a while. I think it doesn't get enough credit. Songs like Two Of Us, For You Blue, Dig a Pony, I've Got a Feeling are great rockers that NEVER get played on the radio. (well, maybe dig a pony sometimes) Across the Universe, Let it Be, Get Back,and the Long and Winding road are classics! And I think One after 909 is a cool 50's style rocker. I love it. They may have thrown it away earlier in their career, but it shows how they were already writing catchy rock songs at such a young age. I think it's interesting to hear.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2005, 09:48:16 PM »

Seeing you asked, I'll tell you. For me, many of these songs are quite ordinary.

TWO OF US Many folk really like this song, but I find it just "all right". Nothing to rave about.
DIG A PONY Entertaining, a good album song - but looked at honestly, this sort of song is what Our John could cook up in his sleep: and probably did.
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE Easily the best song on the album, even with the baggage of its overdubs. And it's not even from the Get Back sessions!!
I ME MINE A nice, telling song when you realize what it's about!
LET IT BE Yeah, yeah classic song. Like Yesterday: done to death.
DIG IT! The short snippet is pointless. The long version (8+ mins) is MUCH better.
MAGGIE MAE Pointless
I'VE GOT A FEELING Though much praised, I find myself wishing they hadn't troubled themselves with this combo effort.
ONE AFTER 909 Shows how they were scraping the barrell for songs. Pity they didn't look to George: he had some beauties to offer. I Me Mine indeed!
THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD A complete bore.
FOR YOU BLUE Excellent little song.
GET BACK Supposedly a great Beatles song. I can't see it. I mean, it's OK, you know - but that's all.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2005, 09:55:37 PM »

Well, that's all opinion anyway. I like it, you don't. It's all subjective. No one can say THIS IS THE WORST or THIS IS THE BEST anyway. The songs effect everyone differently.

Also, I don't get the played to death comment. That has nothing to do with the superiority of the song. It's played to death because obviously people love it.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2005, 09:57:56 PM »

Oh, and I LOVE I've Got a Feeling. I like the version they do when rehearsing it a bit better though. When they sing over each other. It's a cool song how they switch off. But I always love the songs where they do that. Again, my opinion. They never play this on the radio or anything so I know I'm in the minority of people who think it's a great song.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2005, 10:05:13 PM »

Quote from: Ydoll_Gwyn
Seeing you asked, I'll tell you. For me, many of these songs are quite ordinary.

TWO OF US Many folk really like this song, but I find it just "all right". Nothing to rave about.
DIG A PONY Entertaining, a good album song - but looked at honestly, this sort of song is what Our John could cook up in his sleep: and probably did.
ACROSS THE UNIVERSE Easily the best song on the album, even with the baggage of its overdubs. And it's not even from the Get Back sessions!!
DIG IT! The short snippet is pointless. The long version (8+ mins) is MUCH better.
MAGGIE MAE Pointless
I'VE GOT A FEELING Though much praised, I find myself wishing they hadn't troubled themselves with this combo effort.
ONE AFTER 909 Shows how they were scraping the barrell for songs. Pity they didn't look to George: he had some beauties to offer. I Me Mine indeed!
GET BACK Supposedly a great Beatles song. I can't see it. I mean, it's OK, you know - but that's all.

I agree with all of this except for THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD: A complete masterpiece.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2005, 10:12:13 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
Well, that's all opinion anyway.

Well of course it's all opinion! That's why we're here isn't: to give our opinion!

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2005, 10:49:45 PM »

MAGGIE MAE Pointless

I could read this thing again and again for hours :)

(sits back, munches popcorn)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2005, 11:15:43 PM »

Well of course it's all opinion! That's why we're here isn't: to give our opinion!

Yeah, but you know what I mean. Some people can't accept that. It's like What? You think this? Well you are not only wrong but a complete idiot! That kind of thing. Anyway, I just wonder why Let it Be gets such a bad rap which is why I find your answers interesting. I still think it's great, but you know.

Anyway, the overplayed thing is legitimate, and I've gotten sick of plenty of songs that way. Let it Be has been my favorite song since I was like 6 though and I don't think I could ever get tired of it. I can't say that for every song I've heard ad naseum though! Like Yesterday.

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2005, 11:25:06 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

Yeah, but you know what I mean. Some people can't accept that. It's like What? You think this? Well you are not only wrong but a complete idiot! That kind of thing. Anyway, I just wonder why Let it Be gets such a bad rap which is why I find your answers interesting. I still think it's great, but you know.

Anyway, the overplayed thing is legitimate, and I've gotten sick of plenty of songs that way. Let it Be has been my favorite song since I was like 6 though and I don't think I could ever get tired of it. I can't say that for every song I've heard ad naseum though! Like Yesterday.

I love the "Let It Be" album. I couldn't pick a 'worst' album, but to get back to Sandra's post, 'Hey Jude' has been played to death in these parts and if I was about to be drawn and quartered, this would probably be the song I would admit I could live without. Sorry this is completely off topic.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2005, 11:26:51 PM »

indignancy is a crime.......

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2005, 11:33:40 PM »

Quote from: pc31
indignancy is a crime.......

So I've read.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2005, 12:29:53 AM »

Yeah, the 'Let It Be' album leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. If it wasnt for the two masterpieces ('Let It Be' and 'The Long And Winding Road') from 'our' Paul, the entire album would be drivel.

***Well, I guess I do like 'I've Got A Feeling' Too.***

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2005, 12:50:03 AM »

I love it the way you are saying "our" Paul. Copying my "our John" -- what do they say --imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Anyway, what's this masterpiece tag for Long and Winding Road? The song is the result of an attempt by Paul to write another massive and moving piano ballad. Let It Be worked quite well (though not well enough to stand repeated listens over the years). Road was stale and mediocre the day it was released ...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2005, 01:05:18 AM »

Anyway, what's this masterpiece tag for Long and Winding Road? The song is the result of an attempt by Paul to write another massive and moving piano ballad.

Are there no massive and moving piano ballads that qualify as masterpieces?

Let It Be worked quite well (though not well enough to stand repeated listens over the years). Road was stale and mediocre the day it was released ...

Well, luckily this is only your opinion, and you know what you said about opinions,,,,"Well of course it's all opinion! That's why we're here isn't: to give our opinion!"

There, you ought to be flattered as hell now.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2005, 01:26:13 AM »

Quote from: tkitna
Yeah, the 'Let It Be' album leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. If it wasnt for the two masterpieces ('Let It Be' and 'The Long And Winding Road') from 'our' Paul, the entire album would be drivel.

***Well, I guess I do like 'I've Got A Feeling' Too.***

Wait a minute! So Across the Universe, Get Back and I Me Mine are drivel???

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2005, 01:36:35 AM »

Anyway, what's this masterpiece tag for Long and Winding Road? The song is the result of an attempt by Paul to write another massive and moving piano ballad. Let It Be worked quite well (though not well enough to stand repeated listens over the years). Road was stale and mediocre the day it was released ...

Well, even John said "The Long and Winding Road" was the last gasp from him." Obviously not a complement to Paul, but an acknowledgment of the greatness of the song. At least in his opinion.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2005, 01:40:43 AM »

oh my rod!!!!its a paul freaking album anyways....it should be retitled mccartney one..........plus a good george tune...with appearences by lennon and starrrrrrrr.
its all paul show casing paul.....

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2005, 01:43:20 AM »

Let it Be is a Paul album? I thought that's what people always said about Abbey Road. I don't agree. Paul's got 3 songs he sings on his own. The other 2 he and John collaborated on or sang together on. I don't get it.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2005, 01:47:19 AM »

And maybe it's because towards the end Paul was the only one interested in keeping the Beatles alive. He was trying to get them to continue on. The others had basically given up. I don't fault Paul for that. He seems more dominant in the end because he was still hyped to be a Beatle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 79 queries.