Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Everybody's Guilty Pleasure -- BIG-TIME ALL-STAR PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!  (Read 733 times)

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning

Let's face it -- at some point in all of our lives, we've all succumbed to the vicarious thrill that IS professional wrestling. In the '80s I attended several live WWF (now known as WWE) shows at the Oakland Coliseum Arena (home of the Golden State Warriors as well as numerous Ice Capades and car shows). I was honored to have been able to witness Hulk Hogan defend his world title against the likes of Big John Studd (twice -- the second time was a 'Lumberjack Match' and he nearly lost when the future governor, Jesse 'the Body' Ventura, climbed into the ring and clocked him from behind), George 'the Animal' Steele (who was a last-minute replacement when Ventura, the scheduled opponent a month after said 'Lumberjack Match,' couldn't make the date due to injury -- the injury which ended his career), Paul 'Mr. Wonderful' Orndorff, and yes, the legendary Superstar himself, Rowdy Roddy Piper (two weeks after the first Wrestlemania; Piper got DQed, go figure).

I went to the San Francisco Civic Auditorium in March '85 to watch Wrestlemania 1. (Pay-per-view hadn't been invented yet.) The picture quality was a joke -- it was staticky the entire way through! The most memorable moment was when the screen went black during the tag-team title match -- Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo (later known as the villainous I.R.S.), who came to the ring accompanied by Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA," were defending their belts against the hated Iron Sheik, and his almost-as-hated Russian comrade, Nikolai Volkoff, who insisted on singing the Soviet anthem before every match. And then the Iron Sheik would grab the microphone and yell, "Iran number one! Russia number one! USA (then he'd hock a loogie).

The screen went black for maybe 5 minutes, which in wrestling time is an eternity. The fans inside the closed-circuit arena were going crazy, chanting "Refund, refund!" When the reception finally came back, we were treated to the sight of Mean Gene Okerlund interviewing the NEW tag team champions of the world, Iron Sheik and Volkoff!!! And how did they win that title? Because their manager, Classy Freddie Blassie, bonked either Windham or Rotundo (can't remember who) with his cane! (Rest in peace Mr. Fred Blassie, you old bastard you.)

At least Andre the Giant won his slam-Studd-or-retire match that day against Big John Studd, and most importantly, Hulk Hogan, and his special tag-team partner, Mr. T, were able to defeat Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorrf. (Is it one f or two, I still don't know?)

What was really funny was how small and un-imposing Mr. T looked when in the ring with the real wrestlers -- even Piper, not a huge guy by wrestling standards, dwarfed Mr. T. And in the post-match interview, T was so winded he could barely get a word out.

But I digress. This thread is all about wrestling, whether it's WWF, WWE, NWA, ECW, WCW, AWA, WCCW, New Japan, Lucha Libre, or something else altogether, even TNA. If you can differentiate between those organizations I've just named, then you should be chiming in to give your memories and/or opinions.

Let's talk about Roddy Piper cracking the coconut over Superfly Jimmy Snuka's head. Let's talk about Snuka diving off the top of the cage against Don Muraco in Madison Square Garden in '83. I've personally seen Sgt. Slaughter in a bloodbath against the Iron Sheik in '84. How about those great matches from nearly a decade ago, involving Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Rock, Mankind, and the Undertaker?

Any fans of the Nature Boy, Ric Flair?

Anybody still p*ssed off about Bret Hart getting screwed in Montreal?

It's been over 13 years since the Mankind vs Undertaker Hell in a Cell match occurred. The greatest match I've ever seen. I ordered the Pay-Per-View that night, went out, taped the whole thing, watched the match later in bed, and actually sat up in bed and thought "Oh my god, this is real! They've lost control!"

Wrestling fans, I'm calling out to you. Even if you're not a fan of the squared circle -- at some point you've seen a match, rooted for someone.

And that's the bottom line, BROTHER!

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 30 queries.