Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: interesting video - James Taylor on John Lennon  (Read 5330 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
interesting video - James Taylor on John Lennon
« on: February 23, 2020, 12:46:49 PM »

came across this today, not a lot of new info, other than around the 18 minute mark he discusses when John was shot and his own experience with Chapman, WOW

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caZ_S0BlimI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caZ_S0BlimI</a>

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: interesting video - James Taylor on John Lennon
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »

at the 29:00 mark, James Taylor performs In My Life, although the BBC people butchered the audio during it, it is cool

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 06:55:03 PM »

Thanks for that, and yes, very interesting when he talks about meeting Chapman the day before the murder.

A couple of things about his time with the Beatles.

He says Yoko was very much into Klein and probably influenced Lennon on this. And he says, I think, that Klein coming in was responsible for the break-up. So, in a way (though he desn't actually say it) this implies Yoko's presence did certainly not favorise the continuation of the group.

Another minor quibble is that he thinks Lennon wrote Piggies.

Did you hear those things too?

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »

yes, thought it was interesting on Piggies, clearly George's claim to fame, lol.

my view on Yoko and blame is - absolutely she was part of the breakup, she fed John's desire for something new and different and with all of that, they broke up sooner than they otherwise would have.  What is forgotten, not by fanatics like most of us, is the intensity of their run over the years together.  I have good life long friends that after a weekend together we all need space from each other.  Imagine what they went through, good and bad.  Yoko was the accelerant, think like in arson movies, they always have an accelerant to ensure everything burns quicker before any offsetting measures can be taken...that is how I look at Yoko and her impact.

The flip side, would anyone really want them reuniting over the years, possibly having some songs come out that they worked together on...ok, so we all would have.  The legacy of them and the breakup, and Abbey Road/last recording and never looking back is part of what makes them timeless too.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 01:45:57 PM »

my view on Yoko and blame is - absolutely she was part of the breakup, she fed John's desire for something new and different and with all of that, they broke up sooner than they otherwise would have.  What is forgotten, not by fanatics like most of us, is the intensity of their run over the years together.  I have good life long friends that after a weekend together we all need space from each other.  Imagine what they went through, good and bad.  Yoko was the accelerant, think like in arson movies, they always have an accelerant to ensure everything burns quicker before any offsetting measures can be taken...that is how I look at Yoko and her impact.

I don't buy into this idea that it was a good thing for the Beatles to break up to keep the legend intact. But that's just my opinion.

What interests me here though is that someone who is not known as a Yoko-hater gives a specific example of Yoko's influence on John which led to the situation where the Beatles could no longer agree to continue. So for me that's enough to say that Yoko contributed in a direct, observed way to the break-up of the band.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 01:48:11 PM by zipp »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 08:35:55 AM »

my view on Yoko and blame is - absolutely she was part of the breakup, she fed John's desire for something new and different and with all of that, they broke up sooner than they otherwise would have. 

I agree. John flipped back and forth on staying and going. I think Yoko gave him the path to post Beatle life. I don’t necessarily think she did that intentionally. Just that johnandyoko became a viable alternative to his life as a Beatle.

Page created in 8.821 seconds with 47 queries.