Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Moody Blues  (Read 35392 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Moody Blues
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2022, 12:38:43 AM »

For anyone who's interested and has about 10 hours to spare you can watch the court case where Patrick Moraz sued The Moody Blues for $4million, as he claimed he was a full member of the band for 13 years, they say he was never a full member but a paid sideman.
I'm about half way in so far. It's very interesting watchin them all give evidence.

For some reason the vid doesnt come up from the link so just go to Youtube and do a search for..

The Moody Blues vs. Patrick Moraz - The Music Trial of the Century, it's in about 20 parts.

Sounds interesting. You’d think there’d be contracts and stuff setting all this out. Clearly not.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2022, 12:29:17 PM »

Sounds interesting. You’d think there’d be contracts and stuff setting all this out. Clearly not.
Patrick was on the album covers, sidemen aren't.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2022, 10:35:50 PM »

Patrick was on the album covers, sidemen aren't.

Good point. I always assumed he’d joined as a member.

There’s probably grey areas too. Ron Wood has been considered a member of the Stones since he joined but apparently he’s paid a salary. Daryl Jones has been with them since Bill Wyman retired, is paid a salary but isn’t really thought of as a member.

I watched the first bit of Moraz’s, stunningly inarticulate lawyer’s opening. Surprised Moraz was supposedly destitute at this stage. It was only 1992 and he’d been working steadily with the Moodies and on other things for more than ten years.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2022, 12:02:21 AM »

Good point. I always assumed he’d joined as a member.

There’s probably grey areas too. Ron Wood has been considered a member of the Stones since he joined but apparently he’s paid a salary. Daryl Jones has been with them since Bill Wyman retired, is paid a salary but isn’t really thought of as a member.

I watched the first bit of Moraz’s, stunningly inarticulate lawyer’s opening. Surprised Moraz was supposedly destitute at this stage. It was only 1992 and he’d been working steadily with the Moodies and on other things for more than ten years.

All through the case, Ive thought "why did Patrick employ such a bozo lawyer"

My own feelings on this are, he was screwed by the Moodies, he was a member, promoted as such, on all the album covers he played on, he was a big name having played with Yes, a very talented musician, and they used him to kick start their popularity after dismal sales of Octave. They kind of cashed in on him and his name.
When he takes the stand you'll see a very nice man.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2022, 12:14:18 AM »

All through the case, Ive thought "why did Patrick employ such a bozo lawyer"

My own feelings on this are, he was screwed by the Moodies, he was a member, promoted as such, on all the album covers he played on, he was a big name having played with Yes, a very talented musician, and they used him to kick start their popularity after dismal sales of Octave. They kind of cashed in on him and his name.
When he takes the stand you'll see a very nice man.

Yeah him joining the Moodies was a huge fillip for them. I can remember when it was announced and the excitement that it generated in musical circles. And Long Distance Voyager was a massive reboot for them. I doubt they’d have lasted if they hadn’t done that and Moraz was huge on that album. I saw them in concert on that tour and he was most of the band sound.

It’s a ruthless game the music business.  I hope he’s turned out ok.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2022, 01:29:21 AM »

Yeah him joining the Moodies was a huge fillip for them. I can remember when it was announced and the excitement that it generated in musical circles. And Long Distance Voyager was a massive reboot for them. I doubt they’d have lasted if they hadn’t done that and Moraz was huge on that album. I saw them in concert on that tour and he was most of the band sound.

It’s a ruthless game the music business.  I hope he’s turned out ok.

I think he has, even though when Yes and Moody Blues were inducted into the hall of fame neither of them invited him. He said in a recent interview he bears no malice against either band and he only remembers the good times.

You're right he was a huge part of the Moodies sound on LDV and The Present and other albums. He got no credit for writing the extended intro to the song "The Voice" on LDV.

Im told on another forum that his solo album The Story of I, is fantastic, I will have a listen

https://youtu.be/cXDRrQPrqoc
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 01:54:04 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2022, 02:14:40 AM »

Im told on another forum that his solo album The Story of I, is fantastic, I will have a listen

https://youtu.be/cXDRrQPrqoc

I'll check out more of it, but I hated that sample Kev.  I like prog as much as the next guy, but that was borderline sound collage material.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2022, 04:49:22 AM »

You're right he was a huge part of the Moodies sound on LDV and The Present and other albums. He got no credit for writing the extended intro to the song "The Voice" on LDV.

That intro is so evocative. Takes me back to age 17.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2022, 02:38:34 AM »

I'll check out more of it, but I hated that sample Kev.  I like prog as much as the next guy, but that was borderline sound collage material.

Yes, I wasnt keen on the opening track.
Some of the playing on "Indoors" is phenomenal. Alphonse Mouzon on drums

https://youtu.be/79XVB1qjEOM
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2022, 04:27:00 AM »

Thats more like it.  Drummer was fantastic and the lead was just as good.  I'll check out more of it soon.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2022, 07:14:18 AM »

Terrific guitar and bass on that too. Cant say Ive heard of the guitarist although the bassist, Jeff Berlin, was a well known jazz-rock/prog bassist.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2022, 12:41:52 AM »

I loved Mike Pinder and was very sad that he left The Moodies.
I must admit I didnt really give Moraz much of a chance but I've been listening to their albums with him and he did do some excellent work.

As he did with Yes on the Relayer album
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Page created in 0.857 seconds with 60 queries.