Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame  (Read 4307 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »

Quote from: 284
his last name is setzer not perry ma'am...and they covered songs by gene and eddie too...

Oops, that is so embarrassing - duly edited, thanks!

BTW - I'm a guy. (Sounds like a Who song coming up here ...). No worries though, no offense taken there pc31!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 10:11:12 PM »

Quote from: 185
You're gonna hate me PC but I struggle with most music made before 64. I even find the Please Please Me album an almost impossible listen. The only exception is Spector and the girl bands.
Like Paul, not to denegrate the rock and rollers importance or legacy. I just can't relate to it.

I'm coming around to think that music pre '64 is better than anything since '64. Give me Ain't That A Shame over almost anything, the girl bands also like The Shirelles are maybe up with the best groups, better than most of the last 40 years and anything from the last 20 years. Real music transcends any passage of time.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 10:12:31 PM »

Quote from: 551
Lovely thought!

I think I've heard of the Stray Cats. I'm rediscovering our musical past also, by way of this board and everyone's recommendations. It's very educational. :)

It's such great fun!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 10:35:45 PM »

Know your roots...  ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 11:56:07 PM »

Quote from: 568

Oops, that is so embarrassing - duly edited, thanks!

BTW - I'm a guy. (Sounds like a Who song coming up here ...). No worries though, no offense taken there pc31!

sorry about that ma'am stuff...lets call it a typo there buddy.....

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 01:16:05 AM »

Quote from: 284
sorry about that ma'am stuff...lets call it a typo there buddy.....
Thank heavens we cleared that up! I was picturing Alexis with breasts, and it was disturbing me...

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 02:39:26 AM »

Quote from: 551
Thank heavens we cleared that up! I was picturing Alexis with breasts, and it was disturbing me...

Now that you mention it, Harihead, me too!

(Photos available - please send SASE and $15 to:  P.O. Box 172, Fair Oaks, .... no - just KIDDING!)

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

ElementaryPenguin

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 09:50:21 PM »

Very cool, glad you got to have that experience. No offense to anyone, but the Hall of Fame is the only reason I'd go to Ohio. I got to go to the John Lennon Museum in Saitama, Japan. It was so great I wanted to move in! Saw John's Sgt. Pepper jacket, his passports, and Daily Howl papers were there. Plus a lot of stuff that I
[size=14] &quot;Reality leaves a lot to the imagination&quot;-JL<br /><br />&quot;It's fear of the unknown. The unknown is what it is. And to be frightened of it is what sends everybody scurryi

walrus_21

• A Beginning
  • But I tried.
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 01:27:23 AM »

The Rock Hall's a great place.  I saw David Crosby's first liver.
Sun Studios is also a trip; Elvis' microphone and such.  There was a young band recording there the day I went in.  I thought, how great to keep it vibrant like that.  And those lucky guys ... ;-)
I'd love to go back when there's a Beatles special display, it was U2 and Floyd's "The Wall" when I was there.  Sounds like it would be interesting, but it wasn't, really.
I'd also recommend the British Museum for some handwritten lyrics.  In that setting, it gives you a sense of their importance.  As I recall, it's not far from the Rosetta Stone.  
I haven't been to Liddypol since ... '88?  I'd love to see Beatles Story.  I think I saw it's precursor.  Just walking on Penny Lane and talking to a young girl living at Strawberry Fields made my whole trip there.  And the Jac ...
Best, walrus

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 08:13:23 AM »

Quote from: 789

Tell me you're joking, right?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 08:14:48 AM »

Quote from: 789
I'd also recommend the British Museum for some handwritten lyrics.  In that setting, it gives you a sense of their importance.  As I recall, it's not far from the Rosetta Stone.  

??? The last time I saw these lyrics (March) they were in the British Library (moved there some years ago) in Euston.  It's Hunter Davies' collection. It's much nearer Winnie The Pooh than the Rosetta Stone by some miles.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 11:23:06 AM »

Quote from: 483
Quoted from walrus_21
Tell me you're joking, right?

*pays to see Alexis' breasts and David Crosby's liver* Sounds like a biology exhibit!

Nice report, Walrus_21! Cheers.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

walrus_21

• A Beginning
  • But I tried.
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 04:05:22 PM »

It's been 12-13 years since I was in Russell Square.  I *think* that's where I saw the lyrics to "In My Life."  

But I also thought that I saw A.A. Milne's stuff in Cambridge.  So ... long ago ... was it in a dream?

wal
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 65 queries.