Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Traveling Wilburys Vol 1 vs Flowers In The Dirt  (Read 2595 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Traveling Wilburys Vol 1 vs Flowers In The Dirt
« on: August 18, 2008, 09:36:06 PM »

Simple question which is the best album ?
Released 8 month's apart , i think it's fair to say George and Paul , gave us two albums that are a bit special .
Both albums have contributions from two brilliant songwriters in Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello and the other blokes in George's team also new a thing or two about writing a good tune .
So let the battle commence between two of the strongest albums released by solo Beatles , well in the 80's at least (thumbsup)(thumbsdown)(smile)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Traveling Wilburys Vol 1 vs Flowers In The Dirt
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »

I'm going to have to sleep on this one , it's a bloody difficult one (thinker)(sleep1)(thinker)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »

I'm going to vote for the Wilburys because the let's-pretend-we're-somebody-else concept recalls you-know-who, and solid, straightforward songs and good humor keep the album lively and unpretentious. Jeff Lynne's sound suits the Wilburys better than it does Cloud Nine or "Free As A Bird" or "Real Love."

I thought Flowers In The Dirt was Paul's best album since Tug Of War when it came out, but the late eighties condo pop sound seems really dated to me now. It's a fine record otherwise, though.  :)

awc1967

• A Beginning
  • arrive without travelling
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:12:06 AM »

I am going to have to say Flowers in the dirt.
Though I love them both equally, Flowers sems like a more complete album, every song is Paul.
The only draw back I have about the Wilburys is that there's not enough George.
I am a big Dylan fan, but I wish George would have more solo vocals on both of their albums, especially Volume three.
Maxine was too good to be left off, George deserved that song included.
Plus being a big Floyd/Gilmour fan, his guitar solo on We got married on Flowers just rocks the house.
I've got a feeling,I think that everybody knows

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:56:30 AM »

I never got into the Wilbury's much. So I voted for Paul's album.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »

I like both albums, but the Wilbury's edge it for me. Such good fun, and 'Tweeter And The Monkey Man'.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »

Although i play Traveling Wilburys Vol 1 quite a bit and agree it's a lot of fun BlueMeanie , overall i think the songs on Flowers In The Dirt are stronger .
My Brave face , That Day Is Done , This One ,You Want Her Too, We Got Married and the lovely Distractions make for a more coherent album .
So my vote goe's to Flowers In The Dirt.
And your right awc 1967 Gilmour's guitar solo on We Got Married is totally awesome , if your gonna rope in some famous friends give them some space to do their stuff .
Which is maybe the Wilburys weakness as an album , to many cooks can spoil the broth ?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

Quote from: 971
if your gonna rope in some famous friends give them some space to do their stuff .
Which is maybe the Wilburys weakness as an album , to many cooks can spoil the broth ?

Actually, I think that's the reason The Wilbury's work. Neither of them are great soloists, so nobody's fighting for attention. I don't think I could name another 'supergroup' like that.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »

Agree to some extent BlueMeanie , but a bit more George and Roy certainly on the vocal front , i would have liked to have heard .

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 01:10:40 PM »

Playing Flowers In The Dirt now , not played this album much recently , it's a very strong album i think .

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »

Quote from: 483

Actually, I think that's the reason The Wilbury's work. Neither of them are great soloists, so nobody's fighting for attention. I don't think I could name another 'supergroup' like that.

It`s somehow better. It`s really a super group!

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 04:53:16 PM »

Flowers in the Dirt might possibly edge it on song-writing quality (for, as great as the Wilbury songs are, they are pretty simple!) but, my God has Flowers in the Dirt aged! The Wilbury's album is still great fun - wonderful voices! - but Flowers in the Dirt sounds older than Please Please Me!

I tried to convince my girlfriend that McCartney had a good late 1980s period. But when I played her Flowers in the Dirt, she just started throwing up all over the floor. It wasn't pleasant for anyone concerned.*

*This bit mightn't be true.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 62 queries.