Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I like the remixed 2018 White Album  (Read 10567 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Re: I like the remixed 2018 White Album
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »

Hello:  I've had this song going through my head for days.  In fact, I was singing it out loud at the grocery store this afternoon.  It just kept slipping out.  It's insane how a melody can do that to you.

Shaking my head doesn't shake it.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 03:09:59 PM »

After one listen, Helter Skelter is by far the most dramatically improved track of the entire Lp, imo. Overall, just as with Pepper, the sound is much cleaner and brighter - which I like.

So far, the downside for me is that some of the mixes are not as good as the originals. For instance, on Bungalow Bill, the intro guitar is so low I had to turn the volume to max just to hear it and then had my ears blown out when the vocals began. Was the low mix just a product of my system or have any of you experienced the same thing? The reason I ask is that I haven’t heard anyone else mention this. Also, the mix of Cry Baby Cry is not good, imo.

Overall, I really like the release but can’t figure out why some of the remixed tracks sound inferior while others sound so much improved...
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 06:51:50 AM »

Hello:  I've had this song going through my head for days.  In fact, I was singing it out loud at the grocery store this afternoon.  It just kept slipping out.  It's insane how a melody can do that to you.

Shaking my head doesn't shake it.

Well, Loco, it's a sweet melody.  It's one of my favorite songs on the album.
I can stay till it's time to go

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 10:10:53 PM »

Has anyone here listened to the cover of the White Album by Morgan James?

I just started listening to it this morning and I am finding it very interesting.  I like her cover of USSR, mainly because I like how her voice sounds on it.  BTW, I think it's okay for other artists to interpret the Beatles.  I used to be a purist but I now believe the Beatles are meant to be covered by myriad artists.  Others may help coax out the hidden beauties in some of their pieces.  For example, I very much like her version of "Good Night."  Maybe it's a woman's soft touch, I don't know.

The album runs for about an hour and 21 minutes so I still have a lot of listening to do.  (I peeked ahead to see what she did with Revolution 9 - not much but okay considering the complexity of the piece.)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW0Fy88ilEs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW0Fy88ilEs</a>

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 01:09:45 AM »

Seems like this thread suddenly died.

Is it because I asked if anyone listened to the White Album as interpreted by Morgan James?

Was this inquiry really that offensive?

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »

Is it because I asked if anyone listened to the White Album as interpreted by Morgan James?

Hi Loco
I got as far as the end of USSR and gave up, it sounded like Karaoke to my ears, hate drum machines.......... ;sorry
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 11:36:32 PM »

nimrod:  I listened to Morgan James up to about Bungalow Bill and then I just had to switch to the Beatles.  It's like I always end up wanting to hear the Beatles and no one else sing their songs.  I don't know what it is but there is a definite quality that is unique to how they render and perform their compositions.  No one can touch them.

I don't know - are their songs untouchable?

BTW:  I wasn't trying to sell anyone on Ms. James but I was interested in hearing people's reactions to her.  I noticed that she sings these songs effortlessly and very confidently.  I guess she thinks she's quite good - and maybe she is.  I don't really know.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 04:42:38 AM »

nimrod:  I listened to Morgan James up to about Bungalow Bill and then I just had to switch to the Beatles.  It's like I always end up wanting to hear the Beatles and no one else sing their songs.  I don't know what it is but there is a definite quality that is unique to how they render and perform their compositions.  No one can touch them.

I don't know - are their songs untouchable?

BTW:  I wasn't trying to sell anyone on Ms. James but I was interested in hearing people's reactions to her.  I noticed that she sings these songs effortlessly and very confidently.  I guess she thinks she's quite good - and maybe she is.  I don't really know.

Ohh look, she's ok, nothing special though imo, as I say though as soon as I hear a programmed drum machine and Bass Im out  ;D

I like Susanah Hoffs singing Beatle songs, I had a big crush on here when she was a bangle  :)

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 12:39:17 PM »

She has a really good voice. But I agree with Nim that the backing has a processed, slightly sterile quality to it. It’s an interesting project for her though. It’s always hard for any artist to be directly contrasted with the Beatles.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 01:12:33 AM »

I'm enjoying it. She has a sexy voice and is very pretty, so nice to listen to and look at. Her strident, smoky voice is ideal for Happiness Is A Warm Gun (that's where I'm up to as I type this). But any one artist trying to cover the whole album is facing a mighty uphill task. The appeal of The White Album is its sprawling hotchpotch of contrasting vocal styles, musical genres and thematic arrangements. Morgan James can only be Morgan James; you'd need a musical chameleon to handle all the facets in succession.

Wouldn't have occurred to me that it was a programmed drum machine playing along had nimrod not mentioned this. To me it's music doing what music always does for my ears...supports and provides a background for the vocals. I never gave any thought to who or what is actually playing. I'd have assumed some anonymous session musicians hidden away in the darkness behind a screen if I'd stopped to consider. 

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 02:13:14 AM »

I'm enjoying it. She has a sexy voice and is very pretty, so nice to listen to and look at. Her strident, smoky voice is ideal for Happiness Is A Warm Gun (that's where I'm up to as I type this). But any one artist trying to cover the whole album is facing a mighty uphill task. The appeal of The White Album is its sprawling hotchpotch of contrasting vocal styles, musical genres and thematic arrangements. Morgan James can only be Morgan James; you'd need a musical chameleon to handle all the facets in succession.

Wouldn't have occurred to me that it was a programmed drum machine playing along had nimrod not mentioned this. To me it's music doing what music always does for my ears...supports and provides a background for the vocals. I never gave any thought to who or what is actually playing. I'd have assumed some anonymous session musicians hidden away in the darkness behind a screen if I'd stopped to consider.

Its amazing how were all different My M, when I listen to music I listen to all the parts, Drums, Bass, sometimes I need 3 or 4 listens to analyse whether I like it and wether my brain approves of things, for example I always thought Bill Wyman was a very boring Bass player. Solid, but boring.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »

I haven't listened to the entire James version yet.  I want to but I've put it on hold.  I'm trying to listen to a bunch of Lennon stuff right now.

I liked the movie "Across the Universe" with all those Beatles songs sung by different artists.  So, yes, I think it's okay for other singers to sing the Beatles stuff, too.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2019, 12:58:11 AM »

I just want to clarify.  The White Album was a bunch of crap.

Sorry about that.  I'm just being honest.  I've got some "truth serum" in me right now and I can't help but speak truth.

Have a good night.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 02:33:15 AM »

I just want to clarify.  The White Album was a bunch of crap.

Sorry about that.  I'm just being honest.  I've got some "truth serum" in me right now and I can't help but speak truth.

Have a good night.

But Loco, in November you said this;

I've been listening to the album and I am amazed and exhausted!  There is so much to listen to.  I'm totally addicted to it.  I have to take breaks here and there because I don't want to lose focus by their songs turning into mindless background music just because my attention span weakens.

So - for now - I will withhold song comments but as I make them I will add them to this thread.

I think my favorites are:  I'm so tired; Mother Nature's Son; Cry baby cry; Yer Blues; Dear Prudence; and Glass Onion.  All the songs are good though and the sessions outtakes and Esher demos are so interesting!!

Im confused  ???
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 10:58:26 PM »

nimrod:

I'm confused  ???

So am I.  I'm not called "Loco" for no reason!   I'm sorry.  I was under the influence for two nights in a row and when I am, I start talking crazy.  I'm suffering from "post-post remorse" right now.

Please ignore my posts of February 7th, 2019.  Thank you.

My God!  I even said I liked Yoko last night, didn't I?

KelMar

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 11:21:15 PM »

Take care of yourself, Loco. Milk and cookies every night.  ;)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 11:26:55 PM »

Take care of yourself, Loco. Milk and cookies every night.  ;)

and lay of the sauce   ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2019, 01:55:55 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 07:46:24 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH476CxJxfg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH476CxJxfg</a>

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 07:56:26 PM »

Hello:  I'm sorry but I can't stop jigging to Drunken Sailor.  I've been dancing around me apartment with me hands behind me back.  But - what's this about the Captain's daughter?  Is this to be part of me cure??
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 83 queries.