Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: The Monkees  (Read 22233 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: The Monkees
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2006, 07:45:44 PM »

Is there anyone on here old enough (except for me and Kevin) that remembers 'Metal Mickey'?!!!

Mickey Dolenze produced it.

Nuff said!!!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2006, 06:13:21 AM »

Quote from: 63
Pleasant Valley Sunday on my podcast. Follow the link in my signature.

Nice song written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King not far from where I'm sitting and typing this response......Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange, New Jersey.  I like the psychedelic fade out.

I can stay till it's time to go

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2006, 08:09:25 AM »

I don't remember it.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2006, 11:40:27 AM »

Quote from: 185
I don't remember it.

I thought it was one of their better known songs. My Monkees favourite. Not that I know everything they did.

BTW, can somebody recommend a good 'Best Of'?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2007, 06:37:02 AM »

I have Music Box.  Nice set.

I can stay till it's time to go

KevinP69

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2007, 11:33:59 AM »

What do u think about the Monkees?  I personally like their music and have there records. I probably won't get many who agree but I think they did some great songs.  I know they were put together for a tv show about musicians,but Mike and Peter were musicians and the group weren't allowed to play on their early songs. I know John liked the Monkees and their song Alternate Title (Randy Scouse Git) written by Micky features Beatle references. They did play on later songs and I think their records still sound fresh.  Most people would know at least a couple of their songs even if you're not a fan.  Who can't help but get cheered up when they hear I'm A Believer?  I remember watching their tv shows when I was younger and I have season one on DVD now.  It brought back memories.  The Monkees were lambasted in the press for not playing on their records but many gropus round that time didn't (I read The Beach Boys used session musicians/The Byrds didn't play on early records/Hermans Hermits used session people too).  I thought as long as The Monkees were singing on the song does it really matter a bit who played guitar or drums? They did go on tour and play their own instruments.  One tour in 1967 had the odd combination of Monkees and Jimi Hendrix (that would have been good to see)!
 So, in my opinion I don't think The Monkees were that bad a band (I can think of worse groups then and now).

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2007, 01:32:25 PM »

Quote from: 957
What do u think about the Monkees?  I personally like their music and have there records. I probably won't get many who agree but I think they did some great songs.  I know they were put together for a tv show about musicians,but Mike and Peter were musicians and the group weren't allowed to play on their early songs. I know John liked the Monkees and their song Alternate Title (Randy Scouse Git) written by Micky features Beatle references. They did play on later songs and I think their records still sound fresh.  Most people would know at least a couple of their songs even if you're not a fan.  Who can't help but get cheered up when they hear I'm A Believer?  I remember watching their tv shows when I was younger and I have season one on DVD now.  It brought back memories.  The Monkees were lambasted in the press for not playing on their records but many gropus round that time didn't (I read The Beach Boys used session musicians/The Byrds didn't play on early records/Hermans Hermits used session people too).  I thought as long as The Monkees were singing on the song does it really matter a bit who played guitar or drums? They did go on tour and play their own instruments.  One tour in 1967 had the odd combination of Monkees and Jimi Hendrix (that would have been good to see)!
 So, in my opinion I don't think The Monkees were that bad a band (I can think of worse groups then and now).

I'm probably joining you in the minority, but I agree! They had great songs written for them (and one of them was also a good writer, who penned hits for others, like Linda Rondstadt), and a great pop sound. That drummer could really sing, hit the hi notes well, and they had great harmonies.

Now The Archies, that might be pushing it a bit much ....

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2007, 02:31:43 PM »

I enjoy The Monkees, too. Yes, they were the 'pre-fab four', but they stepped up and delivered the goods in the long term. Fine performers, really.

:)
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Tpangner

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »

I like the Monkees too, I have all their albums !

They have made great songs that are still played on the radio today and the fact that they didn't played their own instruments in the beginning doesn't matter to me. It's what I hear that I like, not how many instruments a band member can play......lol !!! :P

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »

I suddenly came across the Monkees here! I can`t help saying that i, too, like their music very much and like them! They were great, especially the short one (sorry, i don`t know his name), but i am proud i know the group, cause i don`t know a single person who has heard of them. And, alexis, you mentioned the Archies. They were fantastic! The first to appear as animated cartoon band. Their song Sugar is extemely good. Correct me if i am confusing them with someone else!

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2008, 07:55:42 PM »

All my uncle from Ipswich kept telling me about was how great The Monkees were. I argued with him about how they don't compare to The Beatles but he had a different idea....

but The Monkees are a good band too :)

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2008, 08:47:50 AM »

Micky Dolenz ended up playing the drums by default. Davy was too short (!), and had already been pigeonholed as 'the cute one', Peter and Mike had both been established guitar-based singers, so that left Micky! He was sat behing a drum kit that had been set up for a left handed player, given a few minutes 'training' and left to his own devises from then on! so in some of the music video-type bits, he looks completely wrong with the drums.

However, I have been to see them in concert quite a few times (1987 I followed them around UK a bit, then again when Mike joined them a few years later) and he's since learned to play quite well!

The quote that Micky loves to trot out at every opportunity is that the Monkees were maybe conceived as a manufactured thing, but later became a credible group, so he puts it in 60's context: It's as though Derek Nimmoy becomes a Vulcan!

I love the programmes, Head is really strange and quite sad really, as their 'puppet-masters' (Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider) seem to delight in getting them to say how awful the Monkees were. It's a conscious swan song.

Peter still plays in a band, Davy does a lot of solo shows, and used to be a jockey (he had been training to be a jockey when he was 'discovered' and sent to London to be the Artful Dodger, so he was a 'child star'). Mike seems to be ... well, hmm, err, interesting these days, although he claims to have invented MTV in the past, and he did some really funny comedy and video programmes back in the early 80's (Television Parts and Elephant Parts  -  check out Neighborhood Nucleur Superiority!!!) Don't really know what Micky's up to but Beatle fans should recall his incidental involvement in the Lost Weekend. He was a child star too, Corky in Circus Boy. (youtube should oblidge).
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2008, 11:44:42 AM »

Then I saw her face now I am a believer...Their song?

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2008, 09:22:31 PM »

Yes! Great vocal by Micky Dolenz! ;D

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »

If anyone is interested, there's some gross footage of Mike Nesmith (the one they used to call Woolhat) from 2000.

www.geocities.com/lenetaylor/mikenose.html

(barf2)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2008, 09:31:23 AM »

F2-qA8y4Nh8

Don't forget Davy Jones appearing on the Brady Bunch  ;)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2008, 02:41:54 PM »

I was like in love with The Monkees when I was a kid. ;) I always liked the television show more than the music. Mickey was my favorite.
I saw them in concert though, like 10 years ago or something.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Pitch

• Getting Better
  • Yes, I'm gonna be a Starr...
    • My Artwork
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2008, 02:31:15 AM »

Man, I LOVE the Monkees! Micky was my favourite, but I really seem to be leaning towards Peter a bit lately...
I became of a fan of theirs through the 1992 film "Newsies", in which the character Mush's actor (the amazing Aaron Lohr, of course!!) played Micky in "Daydream Believers: A Monkees Story". ^^
I have a collector's edition CD thingy-ma-bob and one 45 of theirs-- "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" and "Daydream Believer". ^^
I've made two pieces of Monkees fanart and I've had two Monkees dreams. =3
I've seen most of the TV show on YouTube, but I really should get it on DVD, huh?

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2008, 09:29:59 PM »

i think pleasant valley sunday was one of the singles of 67.its a great track.i particuarly like their slightly experimental songs,like ,daily nightly,star collector and interesting lp tracks,eg  early morning blues and greens,you told me,aunties municipal court,po box 9847 and from "head",can you dig it ? Tapioca tundra is a top nesmith tune.
Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2008, 12:48:18 AM »

:) Looks like we have something in common Pitch, hey by the way, are you new? I'm DSL.  
By the way your signature and avatar look really nice.

Now back on topic, Pleasant Valley Sunday is a very good song, probably one of my favorites.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 95 queries.