Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul on George and John's passing in RS magazine  (Read 2430 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Paul on George and John's passing in RS magazine
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:36:15 AM »

Thanks to Bobber's tip, I picked up the 40th anniversary issue of Rolling Stone magazine today.  Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr are both featured in it.  There is already a thread started for them in each of their solo forums, but I wanted to include Paul's remarks regarding the passing of George and John here.  It is the most emotional discussion that I've ever heard him give.

Quoting Paul McCartney, after the interviewer mentions the deaths of John and George:

That's the terrible about growing up.  You lose friends.  It's inevitable.  It's not like it's a surprise.  But it is terrible.  It's shocking and very, very sad.  You know, I'd known John intimately for so long.  I used the word "privileged" before, but I always marvel at the fact that I was the guy who sat down with John to write all that stuff.  It was just me and him in a room.  That's pretty special.  So to lose that guy was horrific.

And it was particularly sad because we'd gotten over the Beatles hump.  Even though he was living in New York, we would talk quite regularly, and it was very friendly.  We'd just talk home talk -- about his son Sean and life in general, about him baking bread.  We share bread recipes.  It was just great.  It was real stuff, the real thing that, in the end, is very important to everyone.  So was just a horrific tragedy to have him snatched away.

And in George's case, it was equally tragic.  They were such beautiful boys, you know?  It is... very emotional.  [He pauses, and his voice trembles] George was just a great guy.  He was a little kid that I knew in Speke, in Liverpool, just some little kid who got on my bus.  I got on the stop before him, and he got on and we started talking about guitars and rock 'n roll.  Eventually we were looking for a guitar player, and I mentioned him to John, and he joined the group.  And then he just was wise George, the great George.  He was a beautiful guy.  He didn't suffer fools gladly.  There was a lot of strength there.  He was a very beautiful soul.

Don't get me started, man.  It's f***ing awful to lose those guys.  But the terrible truth is, it's growing up.  You expect that, I guess, in the end.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Paul on George and John's passing in RS magazine
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:52:40 AM »

Thanks for sharing, harihead!  :)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 09:01:48 AM »

Quote from: 551

George was just a great guy.  He was a little kid that I knew in Speke, in Liverpool, just some little kid who got on my bus.  I got on the stop before him, and he got on and we started talking about guitars and rock 'n roll.  Eventually we were looking for a guitar player, and I mentioned him to John, and he joined the group.  And then he just was wise George, the great George.  He was a beautiful guy.  He didn't suffer fools gladly.  There was a lot of strength there.  He was a very beautiful soul.

Awww.... So.... emotional and sweet.

It makes you think doesn't it, I mean for Paul for example, they were his friends but for us they are just really good musicians that we admire.  

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:10:28 AM »

End of the End (McCartney)
===================
At the end of the end
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
would have to be special
No need to be sad

On the day that I die I'd like jokes to be told
And stories of old to be rolled out like carpets
That children have played on
And laid on while listening to stories of old

At the end of the end
To a much better place
And a much better place
Would have to be special
No reason to cry

(whistling)

On the day that I die I'd like bells to be rung
And songs that were sung to be hung out like blankets
That lovers have played on
And laid on while listening to songs that were sung

At the end of the end
To a much better place
And a much better place
Would have to be special
No reason to cry

It seems that he has been thinking about passing by  :-/ ...

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »

The time comes for all of us in the end......Embrace the life we have. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:38:46 PM »

It's good that Paul has the opportunity to speak at length about John, considering the hammering he got from the press after his death.

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 03:41:26 PM »

Wasn't George Paul's baby brother?
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »

^ Paul often referred to George as his little brother. I believe he says that twice during the interview he gave on the day after George died-- quite a long one, too. I think he was trying to be extra patient with the reporter after he got hammered (as BM says) for his terse John remarks. Paul has been regretting that ever since, I think.

Paul also repeated that line, "He didn't suffer fools gladly" in the report I'm thinking of. That was obviously a key aspect of George for Paul, along with the little brother thing. You can see Paul speak for himself on YouTube here:
NqJGUs7xPQg

Raxo, those are beautiful lyrics. Thanks for posting them. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »

Yeah, some of the words posted sounded very familiar to me. I knew I had heard before.
If you're interested, Raxo posted the lyrics to some of the new songs for Paul's Memory Almost Full in the thread of the album, harihead.

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »

Yeah, some of the words posted sounded very familiar to me. I knew I had heard before.
If you're interested, Raxo posted the lyrics to some of the new songs for Paul's Memory Almost Full in the thread of the album, harihead.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 03:39:24 AM »

It's really sad what Paul said. Those four guys really loved each other and looked out for each other like brothers. But, I think that indeed one day the Beatles will be reunited again up in Heaven, jamming together.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Page created in 0.849 seconds with 64 queries.