Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Favorite Beatle song intros...  (Read 7541 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Favorite Beatle song intros...
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 01:50:30 PM »

I find the intro to I Am The Walrus quite menacing.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 01:59:44 PM »

There's that neat bit in Let It Be - they're doing Across The Universe and George plays his intro. John says "is that it?"
George says yes and John laughing says "lets have it then."
Might be why this thread is so thin.  :)
But seriously - Drive My Car tops my list. Killer guitar - good on you Paul.
don't follow leaders

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 09:49:25 PM »

Quote from: 185
But seriously - Drive My Car tops my last. Killer guitar - good on you Paul.

NIce one, my man! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 11:41:50 PM »

paperback writer great intro from just vocals right into the guitar riff and the drums and then bang bass kicks in brilliant

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 11:52:36 PM »

Day Tripper
I Am The Walrus
It's All Too Much
A Hard Day's Night
Ticket To Ride

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 01:03:37 PM »

lol i love the day tripper intro but i love it even more with this video on you tube

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2UYRoti-tY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2UYRoti-tY</a>

the way it cuts from the girls dancing to the beatles is soooooo coooooooooool

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 03:30:48 AM »

I Feel Fine
Day in the Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Taxman...I love the coughing  ;D

so many more!

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »

Quote from: 614
...Drive My Car (my fav of intro's!!!) :)
... :)

Quote from: 185
But seriously - Drive My Car tops my list. Killer guitar - good on you Paul.

I'm with both you guys on this, lately completely fixated on this intro. The timing (guitar/bass/drums) is TOUGH!!

BTW ... this is Paul? I am so depressed. EVERY single one of George's guitar solos that I absolutely adore I seem to eventually read was done by PAUL. I mean I love Paul and all, but why couldn't he leave me with something by George to admire? What great solos did George actually do? I'm assuming he DID do "Something"?

Taxman - Paul
Drive My Car - Paul
Ticket to Ride - Paul
Octopus' Garden - Please tell me it was George? I like the guitar intro, it's also another great one with odd timing.
A few others I can't think of but always was blown away by and thought was George - Paul
While My Guitar - Well at least it wasn't Paul!

Jeesh :-)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 11:23:04 PM »

The reprise for Sgt. Pepper (that guitar chord and the echo for '1... 2... 3.. 4...')
Martha My Dear
Don't Pass Me By
Sexy Sadie
Here Comes The Sun
You Never Give Me Your Money
Let It Be
A Hard Day's Night
Lady Madonna
Norwegian Wood

...I don't know, there are so many!
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 08:22:52 AM »

Quote from: 568
Taxman - Paul
Drive My Car - Paul
Ticket to Ride - Paul

It's a sad fact my friend. And not to labour the point, but the guitar work on these songs is so strident and confident - they make your ears perk up and go "what is that?" It sounds so refreshing after George's nervous twiddlings.
George did do Octopuses Garden - some folk here hold it as George's best work. So next time someone says dear George doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as your Claptons, Hendrix's etc just say "but I bet you've never heard the solo on Octopuses Garden." To which they will reply "no I haven't." At which point you should probably go to the bar and buy another round.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 09:14:44 AM »

Quote from: 568
I'm assuming he DID do "Something"?

I'd love to think so, but I have serious doubts about Something. It's definitely not John or Paul, and there are no references to back me up here. But unless George's guitar playing suddenly came on in leaps and bounds in the few months between his unimaginative twiddlings on Let It Be, and Abbey Road, then I reckon he took Clapton in, in the middle of the night. And barely 2 years later he makes a complete hash of it - his only solo of the night - at the Concert For Bangladesh.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 12:20:18 PM »

i dont understand it when you listen to harrison soloing on the live at the bbc tracks he was actually pretty decent and could string together a decent solo with double string bends and it had great flow, then as he got older he got worse ? i mean as discussed all the best beatles solo's arent even him playing :O

and i never got why john played lead on get back, when he was singing parts of the song and george could have tried it.

Did george feel uncomfortable with the new beatles sounds, or was he just good at old fashioned rock and roll ?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2007, 10:53:15 PM »

Quote from: 758
i dont understand it when you listen to harrison soloing on the live at the bbc tracks he was actually pretty decent and could string together a decent solo with double string bends and it had great flow, then as he got older he got worse ? i mean as discussed all the best beatles solo's arent even him playing :O

and i never got why john played lead on get back, when he was singing parts of the song and george could have tried it.

Did george feel uncomfortable with the new beatles sounds, or was he just good at old fashioned rock and roll ?

I read something interesting somewhere that said that as the other rockers of the era got better on guitar as the 60s went on, he sort of stagnated for a while because he turned his attention to sitar.

Even if he wasn't a solo king, he did have great fills that IMO really held the music together. Like in Lady Madonna - on the 2nd or 3rd time out of "See how they run", he does a wicked little guitar run leading into the verse ... I just LOVE that bit!

And on the hard-core electric version of Revolution (like on the "Love" album") - he really does a great job there.

It must have been hard on him, knowing that at any time Paul could whip out a better solo than he could :-(
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 04:01:54 AM »

Hmm, we seem to be going off topic here. Scold me or move me to another thread if you need to, mods.

Quote from: 483
barely 2 years later he makes a complete hash of it - his only solo of the night - at the Concert For Bangladesh.
There is no question that George played the solo for "Something". Geoff Emerick makes a point of his amazement of George pulling this off against the full orchestra, which made for a very expensive take. I think what you saw live was George's stage fright. He got out of the habit of playing live, and became very nervous. His voice chokes up and his whole body tenses when he has to play live; it's painful for me to watch him. I think he got out of practice and, because he didn't like touring much (to put it mildly), he never saw a need to recondition himself to accept it. At the Prince's Trust concert, for example, when he was having a great time, he describes how he noticed this guy in the audience just going crazy, and George thought, "Is he a wacko? Am I going to end up like John?" Nope, live was just not his thing.

Quote from: 758
Carl Perkins had the opinion that George ought to have been a country/western player, because he seemed to favor that style. I often wonder if George might have been a happier person if he'd taken that route-- ended up the supporting guitarist for some "name", which he could just play in a band and not have to be a star in his own right.

One of the things I really enjoy about the Live at the BBC tracks is how happy and confident George sounds, not just in his playing, but his singing. At some point, when the Beatles started becoming "big", George grew self-conscious. It took him a long time to get over it, but I think he did a pretty good job at last. He sounds relaxed and confident on Cloud 9 and Brainwashed. It's almost like he was saying, "Thank God I don't have to impress anyone anymore, and just be myself." And his natural talent shines through.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2007, 05:48:23 AM »

Quote from: 551
Carl Perkins had the opinion that George ought to have been a country/western player, because he seemed to favor that style.

Good point, hh.  George was fond of C&W.  Chet Atkins, whose style George particularly liked and tried to emulate, returned the tribute with this album:

Quote from: 483
But unless George's guitar playing suddenly came on in leaps and bounds in the few months between his unimaginative twiddlings on Let It Be, and Abbey Road.......

BM, you seem to imply that George's proficiency was always lacking.  He "twiddled" during the Let It Be sessions because he was bored, disgusted with the constant bickering and put off by Paul's berating.  He was a fine guitarist who, in his usual self-efacing way, never rated himself as such.

Anyway, back to favorite Beatles intros.  I also like the opening riff to Ticket To Ride which was carried throughout the piece and the intro to And Your Bird Can Sing.
I can stay till it's time to go

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 03:48:32 AM »

I love the intro to Drive My Car - do do dodo doo doo do do do do (typing it doesn't quite convey the essence of the intro in mind, my apologies)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 01:22:34 PM »

Quote from: 828
I love the intro to Drive My Car - do do dodo doo doo do do do do (typing it doesn't quite convey the essence of the intro in mind, my apologies)

Another McCartney solo, I believe.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »

Quote from: 828

But we get the idea! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 06:24:33 AM »

She Said She Said - LOVE IT!
Lovely Rita
Lucy in the Sky w/ Diamonds
Why dont we do it in the rain?
Mr. Moonlight
Tomorrow Never knows

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »

Quote from: 1051
Mr. Moonlight

Great intro, shame about the rest of the song!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 88 queries.