Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gimme Some Truth The Ultimate Mixes Out 9th October  (Read 2166 times)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Gimme Some Truth The Ultimate Mixes Out 9th October
« on: August 26, 2020, 02:41:47 PM »

AS PART OF THE CELEBRATIONS FOR JOHN LENNON'S 80TH BIRTHDAY, HIS MOST VITAL AND BEST LOVED SOLO RECORDINGS HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY REMIXED FROM SCRATCH FOR A NEW COLLECTION: GIMME SOME TRUTH. WITH A SUITE OF NEW RELEASES INCLUDING A DELUXE BOX SET, FEATURING 36 TRACKS ACROSS 2 CDS AND A BLU-RAY AUDIO DISC WITH HIGH-DEFINITION 24-96 STEREO, IMMERSIVE 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AND DOLBY ATMOS MIXES, PLUS AN EXCLUSIVE 124-PAGE BOOK.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Re: Gimme Some Truth The Ultimate Mixes Out 9th October
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »

Thanks, Euan, for posting this.  I have mixed feelings about it but I will definitely buy it.  It's just sad how we can only listen to remixes at this point in time.  John's been gone for 40 years now.  Hard to believe.  I think of all the songs Paul has composed in that time and how easily it would be to almost forget John.  Yet, when I listen to him sing, I am full of feelings inside.  There's something about John's voice that really touches my soul.  No, he wasn't the music factory that Paul was but what he has created resonates and is very meaningful.  I am unsure about whether there is an afterlife or not but if there is, I wonder what John could be doing right now.  I wonder, too, if John and George could have been reunited there.  Well, it seems like fantasy and maybe that's all it is.  Our way of denying death is to say that we're all eternal so we go on somehow even if it defies logical thinking.

I will say that John's vocals on these remixes still sound the same to me.  It's the backing arrangements that are more pronounced.  I think there's more of an ambience overall.  Isn't there a mournful quality to "Mind Games?"  Does anyone else hear that, too?
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 12:31:06 AM »

Thanks, Euan, for posting this.  I have mixed feelings about it but I will definitely buy it.  It's just sad how we can only listen to remixes at this point in time.  John's been gone for 40 years now.  Hard to believe.  I think of all the songs Paul has composed in that time and how easily it would be to almost forget John.  Yet, when I listen to him sing, I am full of feelings inside.  There's something about John's voice that really touches my soul.  No, he wasn't the music factory that Paul was but what he has created resonates and is very meaningful.  I am unsure about whether there is an afterlife or not but if there is, I wonder what John could be doing right now.  I wonder, too, if John and George could have been reunited there.  Well, it seems like fantasy and maybe that's all it is.  Our way of denying death is to say that we're all eternal so we go on somehow even if it defies logical thinking.

I will say that John's vocals on these remixes still sound the same to me.  It's the backing arrangements that are more pronounced.  I think there's more of an ambience overall.  Isn't there a mournful quality to "Mind Games?"  Does anyone else hear that, too?

I haven't heard these remixes and I won't be buying them.
I will answer your question with what I always say about solo Beatles records.
I wish more than anything that The Beatles had not broken up I would love to hear all those solo work recorded as The Beatles with the other three members contributing to the tracks and not other musicians like session musicians etcetera.
The Rolling Stones have stayed together all these years except for Bill Wyman leaving of course why couldn't the Beatles have had a break from each other like the stones do ?

Every time I listen to a solo Beatles track I feel this way, a sense of being let down that my favourite band didn't record this song.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 09:25:36 PM »

nimrod:  I feel exactly the way you do about wishing the Beatles had stayed together.  There are a lot of naysayers who think the Beatles would have let us down if they did because their musical output and quality would have declined.  But here's my take on that:  Listen to their solo stuff.  If you liked it, you'd probably have liked the Beatles together because those solo songs would probably have been Beatles songs.  What is exciting about that is that they may also have been improved thereby and sounded even better.

The biggest problem I see with the Beatles together post 1970 is Paul.  Paul had a tremendous record output.  The Beatles couldn't have absorbed all his works using their customary proration formula for how many songs each of them got per album.  Paul needed to go solo in order to fully express himself.  I have speculated in another thread that Paul's prolific output triggered the breakup in a major way.  The other Beatles couldn't keep up with him and didn't want to either.  Also, it seems that John and George had different musical tastes from Paul's.  They really didn't want to do songs like "Your mother should know," "Martha, my dear," "Silly Love Songs," "Maxwell's Silver Hammer," etc.

I hate to think it but an intact Beatles was not in the cards in any practical way.  There were many other factors other than Paul's songs that caused the breakup but speculating about them all doesn't do us any good.  The Beatles split and that split was to be forever more.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 02:32:16 AM »

Yes you have valid points loco but I was just explaining to you why I don't listen to their solo records with any great delight.
I kind of disagree with you ...I see one of the strength of later Beatles albums is they are so eclectic In style.
It's one of the things I liked about the White Album and Abbey road is that there's a varying range of styles.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »

Got my copy today looks great look forward listening to it.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 02:43:16 PM »

Just finished listening to it sounds amazing I have to say I love the sounds on Angel Baby, Just Like Starting Over, Woman & Grow Old With Me.

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 52 queries.