Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - What You're Doing  (Read 22102 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Song Of The Week - What You're Doing
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 01:41:16 AM »

If The Beatles performed What You're Doing on tour, it would have been a lot like this...

http://youtu.be/Fjctl4cCKHM
I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 01:51:16 AM »

The photo looks wrong for the sesh this song is from. Guessing it's from 1963. The lads hair is too short for late 64

Or early 1964.  Anyway, here they are at The White House Sub Shop in Atlantic City a month before the recording session...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 03:46:14 AM »

From my favourite LP, this is a little gem of a song. I always see it hand-in-hand with 'Every Little Thing' for some reason.

For me Every Little Thing, I Don't Want To Spoil The Party and What You're Doing are a very pleasant seven straight minutes on Side 2 of the LP.  I like this song very much and it was one of the first Beatles songs I played when I bought my Rickenbacker 360-12 C63 three years ago...

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 04:17:06 AM »

She's a beauty Baz  ;)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 05:43:37 AM »

I love that guitar, Kev.  You know by now that favorite artists influence my choice of guitars.  I bought a Guild JF30-12 in 1994 when I saw this...

http://youtu.be/9YHIRGYlLlU

That's such a sweet guitar!

Question had a major impact on many of us 45 years ago...

http://youtu.be/-wDHvmCVRxU

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 05:51:07 AM »

It's nice having you back here, Kev.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »

It's nice having you back here, Kev.

Nice to be back Baz   glassesslip
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 11:32:06 PM »

I just listened to this a few times with headphones and Id forgotten how the first word of each verse is harmonised, this leads to a certain 'anxious' feeling to the verses, theres no chorus so only the bridge sections relieve that feel (Ive been waiting...etc)

The guitar solo has that tension also with the piano played hard in the lower bass note section.

And of course there is a wonderful melisma on the word 'Me'
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 03:23:48 AM »

There's more here than meets the eye.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »

Yes, Kevin, nice to see you back. I like what you said about George's solo. I gave this song a closer listen on the cans, too, and I think the solo's fine. Not complex or too busy, but just about right. If anything, I think the piano part clashes with it a bit and should have been pulled back in the mix.

Anyway, I think it's one of the best tunes on the album.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 11:31:07 PM »

This is ironic because I listened to the song last night while having a few beers and the guitar solo is horrendous.  Its one of those solo's that if you were in a high school garage band, you would have stopped the song and asked the guitar player WTF he was doing and to do it over again.  Hard to believe the Beatles allowed it to stay on the tape at the time. 

Oh well, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 12:10:54 AM »

This is ironic because I listened to the song last night while having a few beers and the guitar solo is horrendous.  Its one of those solo's that if you were in a high school garage band, you would have stopped the song and asked the guitar player WTF he was doing and to do it over again.  Hard to believe the Beatles allowed it to stay on the tape at the time. 

Oh well, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Hi Todd
I think I remember reading you have similar feelings to the McCartney album, for me its his best  ;D

Things in music to me dont need to be perfect but just have to take me somewhere, I really like what George did, its kind of minimalist but tasteful, his timing at the end is a bit out but I dont mind that at all, I think it suits the sombre angst ridden feel of the song, and I love the rick tone.

I just watched the film Whiplash about an ambitious drummer, the music school he went to demanded absolute perfection, music imo isnt always about perfection (well ok maybe classical is)  ;)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 02:08:23 AM »

First things first... genuinely chuffed to see nimrod back here where he belongs!  :)

As for the song... one of the best things on "Beatles For Sale", beaten only in my opinion by the sublime "Every Little Thing" with which I (like obs) always link it. It's got that wonderfully sombre, morose texture that infuses the whole album and balances the musical palate following the undiluted joy of "A Hard Day's Night".

That brooding, heartbeat drum grabs me right from the word go. George's selfish, tangled solo, the darkly descending piano and Paul's plaintive, heartfelt vocal seal the deal. It's a cracker with a delicious "gathering storm" feel about it and is by and large woefully underrated, which is why it's prominence on the "Love" soundtrack is, for me, the highlight... love it, love it, LOVE it!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:09:55 AM by Mr Mustard »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 04:34:22 AM »

Hi Todd
I think I remember reading you have similar feelings to the McCartney album, for me its his best  ;D

Hey Kev.  McCartney isn't awful to me, its just amateurish as a whole and thin compared to others like RAM and Band On The Run.  No biggie.

Things in music to me dont need to be perfect but just have to take me somewhere, I really like what George did, its kind of minimalist but tasteful, his timing at the end is a bit out but I dont mind that at all, I think it suits the sombre angst ridden feel of the song, and I love the rick tone.

Its all cool.  The solo has the exact opposite effect on me.  I absolutely hate the tone of the guitar on that solo.  Its a screechy, nails on the chalkboard sound to me.  I feel it was very poorly executed also, but it is what it is.  Glad you like it, but I cant join you on this one.

I just watched the film Whiplash about an ambitious drummer, the music school he went to demanded absolute perfection, music imo isnt always about perfection (well ok maybe classical is)  ;)

My son and I watched Whiplash and laughed at it.  Nobody is going to sit there and play anything as fast as they can for hours on end just because some teacher wants to be an a**hole.  That movie played out like an after school special.  It was way over the top.  The only positives my son and I took away from that movie was the work and practice the kid put in and the music score was nice.  We were both disappointed to say the least.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 04:40:23 AM »

As for the song... one of the best things on "Beatles For Sale", beaten only in my opinion by the sublime "Every Little Thing" with which I (like obs) always link it.

Hey Mr.M, glad you dig this song.  I was just peeking at 'Beatles For Sale' and figured out that I like 3 tunes and the rest are either neutral or pretty bad.  I love 'I'm A Loser' and 'Every Little Thing' and then really like 'Eight Days A Week'.  Other then those, its pretty much a stinker of an album.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »

Its all cool.  The solo has the exact opposite effect on me.  I absolutely hate the tone of the guitar on that solo.  Its a screechy, nails on the chalkboard sound to me.  I feel it was very poorly executed also, but it is what it is.  Glad you like it, but I cant join you on this one.

Yeah I've got to admit the guitar tone on this one doesn't do it for me either. It's one of the examples to me of that scratchy/plunky guitar tone I disliked on some early Beatle records.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »

First things first... genuinely chuffed to see nimrod back here where he belongs!  :)

thanks Mr M
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »

I always liked this song enough. For late 64 it takes the boy-girl theme on a different road. I like the flow of the song and the instruments give you some thing to follow. I especially like John shouting the first word of each verse. It's one of their work songs with some different things thrown in.
I've always considered this period between AHDN and Help/Rubber Soul a experimental period where they were using up their cover songs and trying new things with their arrangements. It didn't always work perfectly but there are some really good ones that brought them to a more sophisticated sound that Help and RS have.
This period reminds me of the good songs on Let It Be that led up to the great songs on Abbey Road
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:38:25 PM by Dcazz »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »

Hey Mr.M, glad you dig this song.  I was just peeking at 'Beatles For Sale' and figured out that I like 3 tunes and the rest are either neutral or pretty bad.  I love 'I'm A Loser' and 'Every Little Thing' and then really like 'Eight Days A Week'.  Other then those, its pretty much a stinker of an album.

You don't like No Reply, Todd?  Easily the best song on the album for me.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2015, 10:46:07 PM »

I've always considered this period between AHDN and Help/Rubber Soul a experimental period where they were using up their cover songs and trying new things with their arrangements. It didn't always work perfectly but there are some really good ones that brought them to a more sophisticated sound that Help and RS have.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 80 queries.